IGNORED

I Rode Through Morenci - Then I Crashed

Rich_O

Ride Well, or at least better than I did on Nov 18 2005.

This is a follow-up from my Ride Tale

From the pictures of the bike at the side of the road:

tuc21.jpg

tuc20.jpg

You can probably guess what happened. Basically I wasn’t paying attention, lost track of the road, went wide and washed out in the loose stuff…but why?

Prologue:

I rode out to Tucson and taught a class per the Ride Tale.

I didn’t sleep well that week, I never do when I’m in a hotel away from home. On Thursday evening, about when I took the photo of the bike in the hotel parking lot, a “still small voice” said something to me that I should have listened to. It basically said, “Rich, it would be a much better idea to sleep in and get some much needed rest tomorrow morning. Take the easiest route, via the freeways, to Prescott. Your friends there want to see you and the visit with them is more important and will do more for you than the ride through the countryside."

However, I was headstrong about my plans. I had waited a long time to do that ride, didn't know when I would get back there again, yadda, yadda. My bad! Flexibility would have been a benefit here, yes? I was actually exhausted and didn't even realize it. So I didn't follow that "still small voice" and the result was an avoidable crash. But I learned a lot, personally, from that experience.

The crash:

The crash occurred at about 11:30 AM. I was working my way north through the national forest north of Morenci AZ on hwy 191, and had kind of fallen into a steady speed cruising monotony. Not an excessive speed, mind you, just a steady monotonous drone. I was tired, but I kept going, expecting to make Alpine soon for a lunch break and some rest.

Basically, I was looking at the rear view mirror or the instruments, and when I looked up again, the road had turned to the left, but I didn’t. Whatever I was looking at, I think I fixated and looked too long because of the tiredness.

When I looked forward at the road again, my tires were already in the loose dirt and down I went. It was a very straightforward low-side crash. The wheels slipped out to the right and I went down on my left side. My hands and feet stayed in position on the bike as I went down. My left-side ribs were sore, but there were no broken bones, no road rash. My helmet was scraped on the left side, but not cracked. My left knee had a very superficial scrape. About as superficial as it could be and still be able to tell that something happened. I was wearing boots, jeans and a leather jacket and I was very lucky I wasn’t ground up and wadded into a little ball of hamburger. You can’t count on luck. Regarding the spleen. Apparently, if you hit at just the right angle, and with enough force, your internal organs will basically crush your spleen and it will start to bleed internally. That’s what happened to me.

The Mistakes I made:

1. I was bone tired

2. I didn’t realize that I was bone tired.

3. I was not flexible enough to change my plans when I was given a clue that I was bone tired.

4. I rode in a droning, monotonous manner that lulled me into a state of in-attentiveness.

5. I stared at the mirror or something for too long.

6. I wasn’t wearing adequate gear.

What to do differently:

Mostly obvious from the mistakes. I would have been much better off riding like a racer even if I got a bit fast between the curves. Get on the brakes before the corners, twist on a bunch of throttle coming out (slow in, fast out). This would at least have kept me more alert and looking for the next corner. Follow your instincts and be flexible. Know your current physical and mental condition. On a motorcycle, you need to be alert like a racer or a soldier in combat. In a car, you can just crank in more steering in a situation like this. (not that skill isn’t required to drive a car) However, on a motorcycle, the extra time and space needed for the counter steer to initiate a turn makes a world of difference. You have to stay way ahead of a bike.

Epilogue:

After being airlifted from Morenci to Tucson, I spent almost two weeks at UMC (University Medical Center). On November 18th when I was admitted, they did a laparotomy, (full abdominal incision). If you arrive at a trauma center by helicopter with suspected internal injuries, they basically cut you open like a big fish and check everything. They repaired the spleen that evening, but after a few days, the repair didn’t hold and I had to go back into surgery to have it removed. I was out of action and out of work until January 3rd.

Soon, I will be going in for some follow-up surgery for incisional hernias, which are, apparently, a very common after-effect of an emergency laparotomy. This will not be nearly as invasive, but the recovery is expected to be about the same: Zero activity for 1 to 2 weeks and 4 to 6 weeks away from work.

In all, my simple mistake, and seemingly innocuous fall were very costly. I hope it never happens to any of you.

I’ve always been interested in machines and vehicles of all kinds.

Now, I think I’ll stay on four wheels. Anybody know where I can get a really clean ’86 or ’87 FJ60 Landcruiser?

Rich,

Thanks for sharing the painfull learning you have gone through. It make us all aware of the nuances of our sport and the results that can be waiting if we are not attentive.

I wish you a speedy recovery from the surgery and a quick return to full activity.

Francis

russell_bynum

Thanks for the analysis, Rich. Sometimes it is the smallest things that can jump up and bite us. I know I've been very close to disaster due to little bouts of inattention and I doubt that there's anyone here who couldn't say the same thing.

Take care and heal well.

BTW, A Landcruiser would be really fun at Torrey. grin.gif

Don't be a stranger, OK?

Sorry to hear it, Rich, but don't be too hard on yourself. I think we've all been there: tired with miles to go or not paying as much attention as we could. And I don't see what other gear you could have had to save your spleen. It just sounds like bad luck to have burst it. Hope you recover quickly.

If you arrive at a trauma center by helicopter with suspected internal injuries, they basically cut you open like a big fish and check everything.

Interesting. When I arrived at the University of Louisville Medical Center by helicopter with internal injuries, I laid on a stretcher for over an hour before I was even talked too or looked at.

Rich, I am glad you will be fine! thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the tale and analysis, Rich. We share a lesson.

I have a tendency to get sleepy from certain causes. While no specific ones come to mind, some tales here have made me more cognizant and concerned about drowzy riding. It's very much against my personal policy of Riding Consciously, always being in the game.

I became drowzy on a recent ride, less a result of true sleep fatigue than simply the 3AM rising bringing on a disruption to the sleep cycle. I fought throuh it for a while not particularly worried since I was on a wide, straight desert road.

Prudence won out. I stopped, and took a nap. About 15 minutes into it an Inyo County Deputy did a U-turn and pulled up to ask if I was OK. I awoke refreshed, got up and continued my ride, and experienced no furhter drowzy events.

Thanks to all who helped me win one that day.

Best wishes.

"After being airlifted from Morenci to Tucson, I spent almost two weeks at UMC (University Medical Center). On November 18th when I was admitted, they did a laparotomy, (full abdominal incision). If you arrive at a trauma center by helicopter with suspected internal injuries, they basically cut you open like a big fish and check everything. They repaired the spleen that evening, but after a few days, the repair didn’t hold and I had to go back into surgery to have it removed. I was out of action and out of work until January 3rd.

Soon, I will be going in for some follow-up surgery for incisional hernias, which are, apparently, a very common after-effect of an emergency laparotomy. This will not be nearly as invasive, but the recovery is expected to be about the same: Zero activity for 1 to 2 weeks and 4 to 6 weeks away from work.

In all, my simple mistake, and seemingly innocuous fall were very costly. I hope it never happens to any of you.

I’ve always been interested in machines and vehicles of all kinds.

Now, I think I’ll stay on four wheels. Anybody know where I can get a really clean ’86 or ’87 FJ60 Landcruiser?"

I need to go and read the ride report here or something because as I was reading this, Rich, I thought well no bg deal, he went down on the side of the road, just a few scratches and maybe a bruised ego...ruptured spleen, an airlift?

That must have been quite an experience to live through Rich, and live through it you did. Heal up and keep us posted, and I will review this and the other report. Glad you are still among the living!

Rich, sorry to hear of your accident, hope your recovery is quick and comfortable. Please enlighten me as to the function and purpose of the spleen. I know we all (except you) have one, but what does it do? How will your life change now that you don't have one anymore? Will your diet have to change or activitys be restricted in any way?

Heal up quickly and I'll keep an eye out for that Landcruiser.

Best Wishes,

Joe Frickin' Friday
Please enlighten me as to the function and purpose of the spleen. I know we all (except you) have one, but what does it do? How will your life change now that you don't have one anymore? Will your diet have to change or activitys be restricted in any way?

Spleen

Asplenia (absence of spleen)

Rich, Get well soon.

Sorry to hear of this, thanks for your analysis and honesty.

One thing that may have crossed your mind is the returning/new rider curve.

For these riders there is a time frame of @ 6 months that accidents are more likely to happen.

Then a rise again at about 2 years, level/decrease and then another rise after @4-5 years.

We all can learn from these situations.

I'll try to remeber this next time I get inattentive. dopeslap.gif

Best wishes for a return to normal life.

Les is more

Thanks for your generosity in sharing your story. Let me echo the "Don't be a stranger" comment.

(Pssst, can I have a ride in the Land Cruiser?)

My thanks to all who replied here with kind words,

Lately I've been working/thinking in 'bullet point" mode so this will be a little choppy.

Inattention- My hope, of course is that others will be able to avoid a similar accident.

Stranger- Ha, some might say that I'm already a little strange, but I'll try not to be a stranger.

Emergency Room - I think I was very lucky. Actually, I believe in God so I should say that I think He was looking out for me, and I'm very thankful. Or, as one of my favorite modern authors might say, "I was working my angels overtime". The accident happened at around 11:30. It was after 6PM by the time I entered the UMC trauma center. They took me straight in, prepped me and operated. It was really good that they weren't busy at that time, but I don't think another hour would have made much difference.

Gear - I thought about how bad that accident could have been. Did you see that tree in the pictures? I did. I watched that tree looming large as I slid on my side. I'm so glad the accident was such that the protective features of proper gear weren't needed, but nobody should take that as an example.

Speed - Something important that I forgot to mention. I think I was only going about 30 mph.

Drowsiness - You don't have to fall asleep at the handlebars to be snagged by this one. Drowsiness slows your reaction time and your perception of time. I thought that I was looking at the mirror (or instruments, or scenery) for the normal quick glance, which is probably about 0.5 seconds. I probably stared for 3 seconds. It doesn't sound like much, but count it out in your head as you imagine scenery flashing by at 30 mph. You just covered 44 ft. That's all it took.

Spleen - the Wiki articles are pretty good. The spleen is a very delicate and very vascular organ located in a bad spot. It doesn't take much force to crush it. My doctor (one of my new doctors and now I have several wink.giftongue.gifcrazy.gif) had a patient whose spleen was crushed while play boxing with his brother. Brother reached around and popped him one in the ribs, not very hard either. Little while later he's feeling dizzy and checked into the emergency room. Sure enough, the spleen was ruptured.

Practically speaking, the spleen plays a role in fighting bacterial infections and in some blood related functions. I received at least 4 immunizations for things like meningacoccus, pneumococcus before I left the hospital. People who are asplenic should stay in touch with their doctor and stay aware if something like a cold is taking too long to clear up. Again, it's the bacterial infections, like those that follow a cold, that are of concern.

Land Cruiser - Just one version of my traveling dream. The Fj60 for versatility since it's the station wagon version. Early vintage because it's presumably simpler and more field repairable. Of course you can have a ride if I ever get one. Maybe I could drive chase/support/photo for one of your expeditions someday!

Rich

Sorry to hear about your accident. That turn in the road looks kinda subtle. I'm guessing it would have posed no problem were it more extreme or dramatic and demanding of your attention. Damn, it's the small stuff sometimes ....

Thanks for sharing, heal well.

Oh, I saw one of the NEW Fj's on the street the other day, looked kinda cool ...

http://www.toyota.com/fjcruiser/index.html

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Francois_Dumas

Didn't have time to reply yet, Rich.

I recognize that 'droning' stuff from my thousands of long-distance drives over the years. I used to commute between Amsterdam and Frankfurt, Amsterdam and Paris etc.

It is dangerous in a car already. let alone on a bike.

Like you mentioned somewhere, I too am acutely aware of NOT riding when ANYTHING doesn't feel right. Tiredness, headache, cold, problems in my mind.. I pass.

That's easy to say of course, since I have never gone anywhere on the bike with a 'deadline', i.e. HAVING to go someplace.

I did (and do) it regularly in the car.....

Your story will stick in my mind when getting in the car next time...... I think I'm allright on the bike (until Marty shows up <grin>)..... I just don't get on it when I think I shouldn't.

The Landcruiser is great fun... I had a BJ40 years ago.... metal dashboard, no fancy electronics, rugged as hell !!! thumbsup.gif

The Landcruiser is great fun... I had a BJ40

BJ = Diesel, right? They didn't sell many, maybe not any, diesels in the US that I know of, which is too bad. Seems to me a diesel engine is a good match to that vehicle.

Francois_Dumas

Yes, I think it was a 3.2 litre diesel. Beefy animal... got her through anything ! Diesels are great for off-roading.. more easy-going torque at low revs, lots of control, especially linked to manual gearshift/clutch. smile.gif

I love my Jeep Chrokee (Liberty), but the 3.7 Petrol engine is pretty 'itchy', and linked to the automatic there is a lot of 'oopses' when trying to manouevre carefully......

Archived