IGNORED

Evap Canister full of fuel, line plugged

reassembler

reassembler

2008 R1200RT

My bike was intermittently running bad. Every few minutes at cruising speeds.

After checking for my symptoms on here: running bad, vacuum in gas tank, I decided to check the evap canister. It was full of fuel. Problem found. I've ordered another canister and it will be here in a few days, So that part of the problem is potentially solved.

When checking the lines from the canister I found that the line coming from the bottom of the canister (highlighted in attachment) is completely plugged, I can't get any air through it. Does anybody have ideas on cleaning it out?

hose.jpg

10 hours ago, reassembler said:

2008 R1200RT

My bike was intermittently running bad. Every few minutes at cruising speeds.

After checking for my symptoms on here: running bad, vacuum in gas tank, I decided to check the evap canister. It was full of fuel. Problem found. I've ordered another canister and it will be here in a few days, So that part of the problem is potentially solved.

When checking the lines from the canister I found that the line coming from the bottom of the canister (highlighted in attachment) is completely plugged, I can't get any air through it. Does anybody have ideas on cleaning it out?

Morning reassembler

That is the drain hose & I believe it  terminates on the L/H side of motorcycle at about rear of engine.

If you tried blowing compressed air through it with no luck then you might have to remove it & place it on a hard surface. Then when blowing moderate pressure air through the hose from the outlet end tap all along the hose with a hammer squeezing it by hitting it with the hammer. It is probably plugged with a combination of old carbon from the evap can mixed with old gummy gasoline. 

You might do the same thing with the hose in place on the motorcycle  but instead of using a hammer on a hard surface just squeeze the hose all along it's length (that you can get to anyhow) with smooth jawed pliers. You just need to POSITIVLY identify that hose on the outlet end so you don't blow high pressure air into the wrong hose.

reassembler

The hose does end on the left hand side near the back of the motor. Blowing low pressure air through the line cleared it out. I capped the hose leading to the purge valve and joined the hose from the tank to the drain hose. Went for a test ride, and then went riding for a couple of hours. No vacuum in the tank, motor runs perfect. I'll install the new canister when it gets here.

Thanks for your help.

3 minutes ago, reassembler said:

The hose does end on the left hand side near the back of the motor. Blowing low pressure air through the line cleared it out. I capped the hose leading to the purge valve and joined the hose from the tank to the drain hose. Went for a test ride, and then went riding for a couple of hours. No vacuum in the tank, motor runs perfect. I'll install the new canister when it gets here.

Thanks for your help.

Evening  reassemble

When you install your new evap can do not fill your fuel tank to above the bottom of the filler neck ring then park/store the motorcycle. That is usually what kills the evap can by allowing raw fuel to enter the evap can. 

You can still squeeze the tank full above the filler ring while on a trip or while riding & burning the extra fuel off,  just don't overfill then park the motorcycle before riding some of that over-fill off. 

• Thanks 1