IGNORED

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 Bikepacking Tent Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 Bikepacking Tent Review

I had the pleasure of living out of a Big Agnes Copper Spur two-person tent for a little more than five months in the winter of 2017 while on a motorcycle trip from Alaska to Argentina. In that time I gained an appreciation for both the durability and lightweight aspects of Big Agnes products. When I heard about their recent redesign to accommodate bikepacking, I was eager to get my hands on one and try it out.

BigAgnes CoppurSpur Bikepack 3

The new features of Big Agnes’ latest tent did not disappoint. The major upgrades are immediately noticeable in the design of the exterior. The tent pole segments, for example, have been shortened from 19″ to a more compact 12″, allowing an easy fit inside or on top of most hard panniers, or crossways on the back of a motorcycle. Another improvement is the change to the carrying bag. The bikepacking version now sports a heavy-duty carrying bag (actually two—one for the tent and fly and a second for the poles and pegs) with compression straps and tie-downs that allow you to easily secure the tent, store the poles in another bag, or strap the whole kit to the top of a pannier without concern that the wind and weather will beat the bags and tent to shreds.

Additional upgrades include exterior webbing for securing items beneath the fly, increased interior netting, and storage areas and side pockets perfect for storing keys, headlamps, cell phone, and other quick-to-grab items. The base tent remains the same, with double doors, dual zippers, quick-stash door keepers, and ventilation points for warmer days.

As with most extremely lightweight tents, it’s highly advised that the tent be used in conjunction with a footprint to reduce wear and tear of the tent’s floor pan. A footprint adds some additional weight to the package, but also offers an extended area that makes things like sock changes and getting in and out of the tent less messy.

Whether on a long-distance trip where size/weight matters or on a weekend foray into the wilderness, picking your shelter is serious business, and Big Agnes delivers a serious option for adventure riders with its redesigned Copper Spur bikepacking tents.

BigAgnes.com
MSRP: $469.95

•PROS:

• Small (packed size 6″x12″)
  • Lightweight (3 lb. excluding additional footprint)
  • Sturdy compression bag with exterior tent pole bag

•CONS:

• Price tag (but remember, you get what you pay for)

BigAgnes CoppurSpur Bikepack 1

X9rtl286d54

View the full article