IGNORED

Temperature Range

dba

I had to go to Modesto the other day for service on one of my motorcycles. I got to experience a 72-degree shift in temperature, starting at 35 degrees while traversing Carson Pass at 0600 and the 107 degrees while leaving Modesto in their afternoon rush hour traffic.

But the ride back into the cool of the mountains is worth it. 

Caples Lake.jpg

• Like 6
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Wow, that's a pretty extreme swing! :eek:

Yeah, it was.  Seems I don't bounce back like I used to.  Took most of the next day to recover.  Getting old ain't for babies.

• Like 2

I went through El Dorado NF on 88 a few years ago during the last week of July. It was 107 in the Stockton area and 42 and raining up in the high passes in El Dorado. I came really appreciate an Aerostich on that cross country trip.

5 hours ago, dduelin said:

I went through El Dorado NF on 88 a few years ago during the last week of July. It was 107 in the Stockton area and 42 and raining up in the high passes in El Dorado. I came really appreciate an Aerostich on that cross country trip.

Been pretty happy with my Olympia gear for the last 12 years.  When I'm due for new kit, I'll consider Aerostich, but there seems to be a lot of fine offerings out there.  

roadscholar

About 20 years ago I flew out to visit my brother in Albuquerque prior to which I'd looked for BMW rentals and even used ones locally to ride some while I was there for a week. No luck so I didn't take any gear along. I knew he had a couple older dualsports which we rode up into the Nat. Forests and a V-Max which I had zero interest in riding any distance. I'd been to Colorado many times but had never been on a (road) bike. The lure was too great, I installed a Memphis Shades w/s on the Yamaha, borrowed his helmet (he was a captain with a major airline, usually just wore a baseball cap backwards and carried a big Glock when he was riding : ), a leather jacket and set out for Eagle, Co. with jeans, sneakers and a windbreaker to find a buddy at an HSTA event.

I never found him but on the 2nd day (I rode up 285, spent the night in Salida, then CO24 and came back on 550) going thru Montrose a bank thermometer read 107*. Going over Red Mountain Pass south of Ouray less than an hour later it was freezing with hail pellets and I'd guess below 30*. There was no way of knowing for sure but when I got back to Florida I told my buddies I rode thru an 80 degree temperature swing in about 45 minutes, with what I was wearing it sure as heck felt like it : )

• Like 3
  • 5 weeks later...

Nothing that extreme on the East. But I will say, I can leave my house in the Piedmont of NC, go two hours to the top of the Blue Ridge mountains and it be ten to fifteen degrees difference between the low lands and the mountain tops.  Of course after coming down the mountain, the ride home is in the nineties and high humidity.  So on a small scale, I get it. :4315: