IGNORED

Fuel Leak at Tank on '05 RT

Don Redman

Don Redman

I found a thread on a similar topic and read thru it, I have talked to a couple people about it, and it seems that it is a recall item, but I have several questions perhaps some of you know the answers?

1. Is this a warranty issue?
  2. Can I get a warranty repair given the OTHER issues ( I have been told a dealer won't touch it because of them)
  3. If I can't get the repair, how do I get the parts & do the repair myself?  
  4. Has anyone here done this before?

Any other advice is welcome, on this issue or the others I am facing.  I have a limited budget for this bike, so taking it to non-dealer service is not an option.

Thanks for the help & your sagery.

I found a thread on a similar topic and read thru it, I have talked to a couple people about it, and it seems that it is a recall item, but I have several questions perhaps some of you know the answers?

1. Is this a warranty issue?
  2. Can I get a warranty repair given the OTHER issues ( I have been told a dealer won't touch it because of them)
  3. If I can't get the repair, how do I get the parts & do the repair myself?  
  4. Has anyone here done this before?

Any other advice is welcome, on this issue or the others I am facing.  I have a limited budget for this bike, so taking it to non-dealer service is not an option.

Thanks for the help & your sagery.

Afternoon Don 

With your other problems it might be difficult to get BMW to do the fuel system recall, you might be able to force them to do it but depending on the dealer push-back it might not be easy. (it was a voluntary BMW recall)

There is a section in the  recall bulletin that allows BMW to compensate an owner if they need to have the parts replaced by an independent  shop  but how easy that is to work out is difficult to say. (you need to talk to your dealer about this)

The FIRST thing that you need to do is clean the top of the fuel pump pass through then see EXACTLY where it is leaking from. The recall only covers cracking in the pump pass-through boss (where the high pressure line fitting screws in). Anything else is on you. 

There might be a time limitation on BMW doing anything also.  

Don Redman

Thanks  D.R.  That is what I was expecting, but interesting to think of any compensation - hell I just want the parts?  I was planning on doing a bit more detail on the leak after watching it visibly coming out once the key was turned.  How is that top of the tank removed?

Gonna try to document as much as I can for the next guy.

My 07 RT developed a leak that looked much like the one you have.
Turned out ot be a crack where the threads meet the fuel pump on the female half of that quick release connector. That's the second thing I would check. The first is that O-Ring on the male half.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Don Redman said:

Thanks  D.R.  That is what I was expecting, but interesting to think of any compensation - hell I just want the parts?  I was planning on doing a bit more detail on the leak after watching it visibly coming out once the key was turned.  How is that top of the tank removed?

Gonna try to document as much as I can for the next guy.

Afternoon Ron

No need to go through the trouble to document as there are plenty of those online already. Not sure what you mean by (remove top of tank)

But, 

To remove  fuel pump assembly--

Remove big ring nut, 

Lift off the fuel pump flange,  if necessary pry it off, 

Open clip on bottom hose &  disconnect the drain hose  

Disconnect plug on bottom of pump pass through, 

Remove fuel pump assembly from fuel tank. 

Usual place to find cracking__

uala1tT.jpg

• Like 1
Don Redman

Looks like exactly WHERE you described, but I do not see any cracks and it looks like somehting internal leaking like an O-ring maybe?

The slow-motion starts @ :24 

Looks like exactly WHERE you described, but I do not see any cracks and it looks like somehting internal leaking like an O-ring maybe?

The slow-motion starts @ :24 

Afternoon Ron

I really can't tell anything for sure from the video (are you absolutely sure there are no cracks?)-- That is basically what they look like when they leak from a crack. 

If someone had the quick disconnect disconnected without holding the trigger down throughout the entire removal & re-installation then it could have a nicked "O" ring. 

There should be a check valve down in the pump side of that quick disconnect so maybe try removing the upper part of the disconnect, then do a key-on & see if you can find the leakage area. 

Don Redman
15 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

I really can't tell anything for sure from the video (are you absolutely sure there are no cracks?)-- That is basically what they look like when they leak from a crack. 

Cracks are there, I just was not looking for them before - I did not know where the leak was coming from or where to look.  Could not get a good picture, but there are TWO crack exactly as you showed.

Now.....

What about removing the pump assembly, taking it to a dealer, with a big smile..... what do you reckon?

They could get paid for the warranty work (at a fraction of the labor) and I could get my parts.  Anybody ever try that one?

Now.....

What about removing the pump assembly, taking it to a dealer, with a big smile..... what do you reckon?

They could get paid for the warranty work (at a fraction of the labor) and I could get my parts.  Anybody ever try that one?

Afternoon Ron 

My suggestion is to talk to your dealer FIRST, to see how they want to handle it.  

Don't tell them about the other problems unless you need to,  just tell then the thing leaks so bad that you can't ride it to them.

I actually have installed a couple with dealer supplied parts then turned the old ones in afterwards (due to leaking so bad it couldn't be ridden)-- Really depends on your dealers attitude about it. 

Maybe show them the  video of the leak as they are supposed to verify before replacing the pump assembly, if just cracked with smaller cracks they are supposed to only install that metal reinforcement ring (only replace pump assembly if large cracks or leaking)

So, like I was expecting, the dealer said no way no how, and I explained why  I wanted to service, and they said, YUP, we would have to fix those issues first.  Understandable, but disappointing.

Now.....

What are my other other options?  Keeping in mind my limited budget.

I think I will remove the assembly to get a better idea of what I am dealing with, and what I actually need to do the repair or replace, unless you advise against it?

Anyone have access to some diagrams?  I have a manual but it shows nothing internally, and I have a tendency to break things when I don't understand the structure (especially plasticated versions)

Thank you for any clues you can provide.

48 minutes ago, Don Redman said:

So, like I was expecting, the dealer said no way no how, and I explained why  I wanted to service, and they said, YUP, we would have to fix those issues first.  Understandable, but disappointing.

Now.....

What are my other other options?  Keeping in mind my limited budget.

I think I will remove the assembly to get a better idea of what I am dealing with, and what I actually need to do the repair or replace, unless you advise against it?

Anyone have access to some diagrams?  I have a manual but it shows nothing internally, and I have a tendency to break things when I don't understand the structure (especially plasticated versions)

Thank you for any clues you can provide.

Afternoon Don

Unfortunately there isn't much of anything serviceable on your fuel pump assembly.

Even removing  the pump assembly won't show you much as there is a sealed (non serviceable) fuel  filter just on the bottom of the pass-through that doesn't allow access to the bottom of that cracked boss.

About all you can do/try is to unscrew that fitting from the that cracked boss, then make up a compression sleeve to go around that plastic boss  (around the plastic ring with the cracks) to close up & support the cracked areas. Then use a good gasoline proof thread sealer,  then screw that fitting back in & see if it leaks .

BMW has a special ring that they force on to support that cracked boss but it only works if the cracks are very small.

You might call BMW NA customer service & get them involved in your recall request. I don't believe that BMW can technically refuse to do the re-call even if you motorcycle doesn't run or work correctly. (A recall is a recall so shouldn't matter the condition on the rest of  the motorcycle). 

Tell them if they don't do the recall you will contact NHTSA & file a complaint stating that  BMW won't honor their recall. 

You might also try to get your BMW dealer's refusal in writing telling them you need the documentation in case the motorcycle catches fire & you need to sue BMW  for recall refusal. 

1200 fuel pump assembly.jpg

I think those are solid ideas, and I think I will start with BMW NA, I always assume people are willing to do the right thing after a reasonable request, hell I would be willing to make a lot of effort to see how far I can go to motivate them to do the right thing.  I love this bike and I am really sad I am not riding it right now.  I don't think the local dealer will help - they are notoriously anti-customer oriented, and have been for decades.  Maybe I will send them an email, see if they respond?

Thanks for advice & the picture, that reduces the mystery a good bit!