IGNORED

The Feather River, Quincy and La Porte California Ride

RPondaRoad

RPondaRoad

The Feather River Canyon and the road that twists through it, Highway 70 provides the lowest trans-Sierra route through California's major mountain range. You would think that that distinction would also give it the reputation of being the least beautiful of the up and over routes. But, it doesn't work like that. While not in the league with Tioga or Sonora passes, The Feather River Canyon route compares favorably with many others. The Yuba Pass, Carson Pass and Donner Pass routes immediately come to mind. The natural beauty of the steep canyon walls and views of the rocky and scenic river would be enough to entertain any motorcyclist who would ride the excellent roadway. But, as they say: “Wait...there's more!” The seven hydroelectric projects along the river create pools, small lakes and rapids in the early spring. The term “Feather River Route” though has a special meaning to railroad fans. Built by Western Pacific, the tracks that line the canyon walls cross the river several times and the bridges cross directly over or under the highway bridges. It's amazing to see and I've never been through the canyon without seeing a “Long Train Runnin'”.

I left my home in the Sierra foothills east of Sacramento early and headed up the Sacramento Valley going through Oroville. A few miles outside of town I turned east at Wick's Corner to stay on Hwy. 70 and had a wonderful ride through the canyon. Where Hwy. 70 meets Hwy. 89, I continued toward Quincy where I stopped for the water in my top case and to get off of the bike for a few minutes.

Once in motion again, I left Quincy and turned right on Quincy-La Porte Road. La Porte is a dot of a small western gold mining town with only a few residents, a general store and an old hotel left, but the road goes all of the way back down to the lowlands of the Sacramento Valley and has good pavement. The roadway between Hwy. 70 and La Porte though, is steep, twisty and very scenic. Even when it's hot in the valley, the cool air and smell of the pine trees up here at 5,000 feet makes the trip worthwhile. The roadway rises over ridges and falls down to creeks many times and for a long section the drive along a high ridge reminded me of looking out of an airplane window. The steep canyons are really rugged here and it's just beautiful.

Once out of La Porte and as the road descends, a rider goes through the old logging towns of Strawberry Valley, Clipper Mills and Woodleaf before the valley temperatures remind you that you're running out of mountains.

For those of you in Northern California who are looking for something to do or if you're a visitor looking for the hidden, local stuff, I recommend this route highly. It is diverse, high in natural beauty, and is steeped in history.

Rock Creek Reservoir along California's Feather River Route

1322804763_RTonFeatherRiver-RockCreekRsrvr-P1330730.thumb.jpg.aa2b88cb032795f34f22e3706fc58c39.jpg

Welcome to Quncy...

848150739_RTinQuincy-P1330739.thumb.jpg.b46fa66df5b70375aff7ac06ac6e817e.jpg

La Porte California.  Now, almost a ghost town...but in the day 10,000 residents supported gold mining in the area.

1684450225_RTinLaPorte-P1330749.thumb.jpg.b9ff0286216c0bf54c7caede3f99aade.jpg

• Like 4

Nice write up of the area, thank you. :thumbsup: Someday I hope to get back out there to explore a little more.

• Like 1
Bill_Walker

Nice ride!  I've enjoyed that stretch of 70 a couple of times.  I found Quincy-LaPorte Road on my roundabout way home from Weaverville in 2018.  What a hoot!  But I clearly recall one turn that made me glad I was plenty alert: a nice, opening right-hand, gently climbing sweeper with the road disappearing over the crest as you accelerate out, only to come over the crest and find a tight 90-degree left with a 150-foot drop on the right and no guardrails!

As I recall, it does get kinda boring after LaPorte, though.

• Like 1
RPondaRoad
58 minutes ago, Bill_Walker said:

Nice ride!  I've enjoyed that stretch of 70 a couple of times.  I found Quincy-LaPorte Road on my roundabout way home from Weaverville in 2018.  What a hoot!  But I clearly recall one turn that made me glad I was plenty alert: a nice, opening right-hand, gently climbing sweeper with the road disappearing over the crest as you accelerate out, only to come over the crest and find a tight 90-degree left with a 150-foot drop on the right and no guardrails!

As I recall, it does get kinda boring after LaPorte, though.

I'm glad you found Quincy-La Porte Bill.  On a map, that tiny squiggly white line would make one wonder about pavement...  It's a beautiful area up there and we go up often.  My wife attends her bicycle clubs summer camp in Graeagle when it's held there and I tag along on my RT.  We both love Lassen Park and do a ride up there once a year too.  There is a great railroad museum in Portola that has a lot of Western Pacific stuff.  Also, north of Lassen is Burney Falls which is always a scenic stop and of course Mount Shasta.  I'm sure with your wealth of knowledge about Northern California that you've ridden to them all!

• Like 1
Bill_Walker

Every time I've been in a position to go to Lassen, the road has still been closed by snow. :(

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Hwy 70 is a pretty ride.  Took it a few times when living in EDH.  However, sometimes the hot air gets locked into the canyon and out on 89 canyon as well and is obscene.  When it's just right, it is truly just right!

Haven't ridden LaPorte, but pretty sure went through there in boy scouts for some reason.

Enjoy.  Try Hwy 50 to the Getaway Cafe in Myers for breakfast.  It is on the north side of the road about 1/4 mileish past the 89 "T" intersection.  Our favorite spot in south shore.

Every time I've been in a position to go to Lassen, the road has still been closed by snow. :(

Bill, sometime around 2012, rode the southern access into Lassen NP on the day it opened.  July 12 or 22nd comes to mind.  Epic snow year and there were still plow cuts that were over 10 feet tall just past the parking lot on top.  Since Lassen long, soft rise to the south, it just gradually squeezes the moisture out of storms.  It has the highest snowfall in CA, maybe the CONUS?  Don't recall that latter one clearly.

Really miss the Sierras and Cascades and don't ride much out here.  People in Utah cannot drive without texting and using the Braille approach.

• Like 2
On 6/9/2020 at 6:30 PM, Danny caddyshack Noonan said:

Try Hwy 50 to the Getaway Cafe in Myers for breakfast.  It is on the north side of the road about 1/4 mileish past the 89 "T" intersection.  Our favorite spot in south shore.

The "T" intersection has been replaced by a roundabout.  Seems to be an epidemic of them lately.

• Sad 1