IGNORED

After service, now pops out of 1st on downshift

480VAC

I've got a 2014 RT, I changed the oil the other day with Castrol 06113 Power1 4T 5W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MISDII/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_wNz2EbPJCR5E4

), which is exactly th eoil recommended in the owner's manual.

Took it for it's first short ride today, it runs fine.  The oil level is correct, but I found that it is often popping out of 1st gear when downshifting from 2nd.  This is a new phenomenon.

I'm about to embark on a very long trip on saturday, so I'm worried - any suggestions about what I should do?  Should I drain an replace the oil with something else?  Will it stop doing this on it's own?

480vac...I don't know what might be wrong, but I've been using that oil on my 14 since new.  I don't think the oil change will be the issue.  Someone with technical knowledge will jump in shortly.  Are you manually shifting or using the speed shift (not pulling in the clutch).

9 hours ago, 480VAC said:

I've got a 2014 RT, I changed the oil the other day with Castrol 06113 Power1 4T 5W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MISDII/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_wNz2EbPJCR5E4

), which is exactly th eoil recommended in the owner's manual.

Took it for it's first short ride today, it runs fine.  The oil level is correct, but I found that it is often popping out of 1st gear when downshifting from 2nd.  This is a new phenomenon.

I'm about to embark on a very long trip on saturday, so I'm worried - any suggestions about what I should do?  Should I drain an replace the oil with something else?  Will it stop doing this on it's own?

Morning  480VAC

You have something else going on there as the choice of gear oil has nothing to do with it popping out of 1st gear.

Not enough information from you about the problem to give a firm diagnosis over the internet but the usual cause is something loose in the shift linkage (like bolt backing out on the trans shifter shaft lever), or shifting linkage contacting something. 

It could also be due to tight balls & sockets in the shift linkage (but this usually effects all gear ranges).

Any chance the shift lever is bent (from bike falling over)?

You need to start by inspecting/verifying that  ALL the shift  linkage parts are working correctly, not binding, & no loose bolts. Then make sure the shift lever  is capable of FULLY moving the shift parts into full travel & full engagement. 

Without seeing/working on that bike it is difficult to tell what is going on but from a distance it appears that the transmission  isn't FULLY shifting into 1st gear on the downshift for some reason.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, 480VAC said:

... I changed the oil the other day.

Took it for it's first short ride today, it runs fine.  .. but I found that it is often popping out of 1st gear when downshifting from 2nd.  This is a new phenomenon.

Have you done ANY other work on the bike whilst changing the oil? Retrace your steps. It smacks of something happening to the shifter / shifter mechanism that is limiting its movement. Maybe a rag, or tool dropped down and is somewhere near that gearshift mechanism?

I had a '14 also and never had this issue. But having said this... tell us more.

Is the '14 new to you?

How many miles on the clock?

If it is new to you was it serviced by the selling dealer?

If it is not new to you- have you done any other "services" to the bike lately?

I think dirt rider is spot on..., as usual.

I hesitate to respond, as I've been admonished for it before and do not want to muddie the process, but a friend had a similar problem on a different brand motorcycle, turns out he had dropped a small socket and it landed in the linkage, wedging between a shaft and the transmission body, preventing normal downshifts into first gear, which evidentally required a slightly longer travel than the other gears, as they worked fine. 

You guys are right on.   I had forgotten that I added a sidestand foot expander.   On close inspection, the shifter touches it slightly, but enough to cause issues (see photo).   I took that off and now it shifts properly.     That's what I get for buying cheap $17 part off of ebay.   I'll probably cut off a section of the expander where it touches and put it back on if I have time, but it is also probably unnecessary unless parking on very soft dirt.

to answer hopz other questions:

It is new to me (only ridden 1k miles)

The bike has 15k on the clock

previous service was at 4k miles ago

Thank you all very much!

Geoff

IMG_0388.JPG

54 minutes ago, 480VAC said:

You guys are right on.   I had forgotten that I added a sidestand foot expander.   On close inspection, the shifter touches it slightly, but enough to cause issues (see photo).   I took that off and now it shifts properly.     That's what I get for buying cheap $17 part off of ebay.   I'll probably cut off a section of the expander where it touches and put it back on if I have time, but it is also probably unnecessary unless parking on very soft dirt.

Afternoon Geoff 

That will definitely prevent a full shift stroke, a few strokes with a half round file & you should be good to go.

480VAC….I took a couple pictures of mine.  My shift mechanism doesn't appear to go as far rearward as yours.  The picture here is with mine fully depressed.  It would actually hit my Wunderlich foot expander if it went back further.  Just food for thought the previous owner may have adjusted it.  However if shifting perfectly I would probably leave alone and file as DR indicated.  Maybe my picture will help show the difference.  Mine clearly has a cut out where yours doesn't.

I would not take it off.  The side stand foot on the bike is pretty small.  Mine will dig into black top or anything soft without the foot.  Glad you got it sorted out.

foot.jpg

foot2.jpg

All fixed,  cut away the section like on the wunderlich,  now no more interference,  photos attached.  I included one where the original interference is visible.

thanks again everyone!  BTW: I edited the title to be more useful to future searchers.

2F7E01A1-347F-45EE-8A37-51C2EC62219B.jpeg

6E320F2B-14AC-49D4-B649-B0F68F9564C9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 480VAC changed the title to After service, now pops out of 1st on downshift