IGNORED

Motorcycle Insurance

Endobob

I use Foremost.   My cars are still insured by USAA, however, quit covering motorcycles a year or two after my significant crash while on a track in 2004.   Not likely but I often wondered if it was because of a big payout for my totaled bike and lost wages.:)

Anyone use Progressive?   I do not like their current "Motaur" advertisements like this one: Here

19 minutes ago, Endobobdds said:

Anyone use Progressive?   

Bob, I guess the real question is...do you mind not being a Motaur?  :grin: :wave:

• Haha 1
szurszewski

We have our bikes insured with progressive though USAA (supposedly a bit of a discount and a dedicated support phone number). No problems, decent rates, but we’ve not filed a claim,

so I don’t know anything about that. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, szurszewski said:

We have our bikes insured with progressive though USAA (supposedly a bit of a discount and a dedicated support phone number). No problems, decent rates, but we’ve not filed a claim,

so I don’t know anything about that. 

Uh-yup.

I’ve used Markel since ‘04. I’ve had no claims so I can’t speak to that. Their rates seem competitive. 

realshelby

Insurance is hit and miss. What I can get in Texas might not apply if I lived in DC. I recently re-upped my policy with Dairyland. While I have auto insurance with AAA, they didn't used to insure bikes. I think that changed but the rates were not good. I went online and done some comparison shopping. This is critical and you MUST set policy parameters to get this to matter. Use the same coverages or as close as you can get. I stuck with Dairyland. 

2014 RT, and a 2012 DL 650 Suzuki. Both full coverage, and medium high limits. Probably a bit more than average in what it covers and limits. I think it was about $480 for a year. I always pay a full year at a time. I am 60 with a perfect driving record......right now.....

I have had MC insurance with Progressive, Geico, and a couple others. They seem to like to raise rates after a year or two for no reason and I then shop around. No one is loyal any more, so I go with a reputable company with the better rate. 

• Like 1
chrisolson
12 hours ago, Endobobdds said:

Anyone use Progressive?

Have for years on all my bikes.  Haven't shopped rates recently ,  but I think their cost is competitive.

Filed two claims, both handled quickly , efficiently and I felt fairly ... both were "totals" and they covered all the farkles / non factory addons at purchase value !  (which was/is another reason I stay with them)

As terry said will vary by location. I had progressive for about 5 years. Every year rate hike until not competitive. Allstate since 2014. Time to shop again as Terry’s posted rate is less than mine and we have the same bikes, live nearby, and same driving record. Last ticket 1977

• Like 1
1 hour ago, realshelby said:

They seem to like to raise rates after a year or two for no reason and I then shop around. No one is loyal any more, so I go with a reputable company with the better rate. 

This.  A thread a number of years back brought forth the theory that insurance companies bet on you staying as a loyal customer, then raise rates on you.  Seems quite plausible.  Progressive in my zip codes is expensive.  USAA has my cars, but State Farm has my motorcycles.  I'm due for a shop around to keep them all as competitive as I can.

It's all a game, and we are the suckers at the poker table.

• Thanks 1
John Ranalletta
41 minutes ago, Jake said:

This.  A thread a number of years back brought forth the theory that insurance companies bet on you staying as a loyal customer, then raise rates on you.  Seems quite plausible.  Progressive in my zip codes is expensive.  USAA has my cars, but State Farm has my motorcycles.  I'm due for a shop around to keep them all as competitive as I can.  

It's all a game, and we are the suckers at the poker table.

There's only one thing on TV that pisses me off more than, "we're all in this together" and that is insurance companies using juvenile tactics in an attempt to endear themselves to prospective policyholders.  Liberty Mutual "Emu" needs to die.  Progressive's Flo can KMA.  GEICO's Geco will end up under a policyholder's wheels, hopefully; and, Aflac's Duck would be best be pressed duck.

Everything's all nicey-nice and oh so cutesy until a claim is made and they  morph into crocodiles.

Insurance companies have two goals: collect premiums; deny claims.

I'm guessing Warren Buffett is keeping his powder dry, waiting to see how all of the COVID BI claims are adjudicated.  Huge exposure for the underwriters.

• Like 1

Insurance rates vary by state, city, driving record, credit history, vehicle, age, and much more. Too many variables to make useful comparisons with my neighbor, much less people all over the country. That said, I've been with Progressive for my bikes (only) for the past 25-30 years.  When I've shopped around every 4-5 years, they were always the least expensive. My rate varies by a $5-10 dollars from year to year, but it is currently about the same as eight years ago. (Total rate was cheaper when I had a second, older, bike.) My driving record is (currently) clean, credit is good, we live in a semi-rural area, and I have made no claims.

When our near-pristine 15 year-old van was totaled last November by a texting driver insured by Progressive, I had no hassles dealing with Progressive and they were generous in their appraisal value of the van, which was higher than any NADA or KBB retail values.

They offer a good road assistance/trip interruption program for about $15 a year (in Ohio -  program offerings vary by state). I've not needed it, but a call verified that towing to the nearest "qualified repair facility" means the nearest dealer, if that is necessary, regardless of mileage.

louisvillebob

I've had Progressive for many years for various bikes, and am very pleased.  Cost is practically trivial for 1995 BM R100RT and 2013 BMW F800GT.  It's easy to add or delete bikes, and importantly, their insurance verification system is acceptable to my state, so tag/resistration  renewal is easy.  The state bureaucrats look online, yes, you have insurance, boom--renewed.  Never had a claim with them, so can't speak to that.

Interesting thread here.  I just got a mailer from Markel and was about to post questions about it.  Currently with Geico.

John Ranalletta
32 minutes ago, bwpsg42 said:

Interesting thread here.  I just got a mailer from Markel and was about to post questions about it.  Currently with Geico.

After reading this thread, I got a Markel quote approximating my current coverage.  Note: their quotes are bare bones.  The final quote was considerable higher than what I have with Safeco, a Liberty Mutual company.  The m/c premium is reduced as we have our homeowners, umbrella and auto with Safeco.

I've not had a m/c claim with Safeco, but had one on the 335.  A rock chipped the wind screen.  When I called to start the claim, I was told Safelite would replace with their proprietary glass. I objected as their quality is suspect based on my observation.  I insisted on a BMW replacement and they covered it.

Yes, insurance companies are in it to make money. I always felt malice towards them. Then,

I married an insurance adjuster. It is amazing the people that think you are supposed to make

money on an insurance claim. These are the same people that complain about their premiums. We of course had all of our insurance with her company. We got no break on premiums or deductibles. 
The worst scenario was the 75 year old lady driving a 2004 Chevy Impala with 30k miles. My wife’s insured was at fault. Car totaled and only worth $4-5k. Lady could not get a similar car for that amount. Fair? No but that was all the car was worth and my wife’s hands were tied. 

More and more companies don’t write motorcycle insurance anymore. Too risky. 

I've had Dairyland ever since Geico raised my rates.  Someone told me Geico uses a "teaser" rate for a couple of years then raises it.  Don't know for sure, but when they raised it, I went shopping and found Dairyland.  So far I've been happy.