IGNORED

Help Fuel Issue with R1200RT

RBMattila

The Bike is a BMW R1200RT  Year is 2009 or 2010.

I have been having an issue getting this bike started.

I thought it was the Fuel Pump but the Fuel Pump runs when I test it.

Then I thought it was the Fuel Pump Module. I created a Fuel Pump Module Jumper Cable where I can give it 12 Volts of Power and it worked! Great news right .....well

I bought a new Fuel Pump Module and installed it into the Bike. I turn on the ignition and nothing happens with the Fuel Pump!!! I then uninstall the Module and try my Jumper Cable and then turn on the ignition and the Fuel System works .... and you can hear it start to run.

So, is the issue that I have two bad Fuel Pump Modules or maybe no power. I tried finding out how to test the Module but no luck. However, when I play around with a meter both of them show resistance so I think they might be ok.

I take my volt meter and check the cable that connects to the Fuel Pump Module and ................. I get no Volts. I turn on and off the Ignition and I get no Volts.

So it could be that I am not getting any power.

However, this is an electrical nightmare to trouble shoot...................

How to find out what is wrong....... can someone help me?

Is there a Fuse or a Relay or something that I can check?

Please give me any and all the help you can give me.

Thank You.

Roger

When you say that it does not work with the new module; do you mean you can’t start the bike or you can’t hear the pump run?  Is the new module new?  If the bike runs with the jumper then the problem is the module.  I know two folks who bypassed their module permanently with no noticed ill effect.

11 hours ago, RBMattila said:

The Bike is a BMW R1200RT  Year is 2009 or 2010.

I have been having an issue getting this bike started.

I thought it was the Fuel Pump but the Fuel Pump runs when I test it.

Then I thought it was the Fuel Pump Module. I created a Fuel Pump Module Jumper Cable where I can give it 12 Volts of Power and it worked! Great news right .....well

I bought a new Fuel Pump Module and installed it into the Bike. I turn on the ignition and nothing happens with the Fuel Pump!!! I then uninstall the Module and try my Jumper Cable and then turn on the ignition and the Fuel System works .... and you can hear it start to run.

So, is the issue that I have two bad Fuel Pump Modules or maybe no power. I tried finding out how to test the Module but no luck. However, when I play around with a meter both of them show resistance so I think they might be ok.

I take my volt meter and check the cable that connects to the Fuel Pump Module and ................. I get no Volts. I turn on and off the Ignition and I get no Volts.

So it could be that I am not getting any power.

However, this is an electrical nightmare to trouble shoot...................

How to find out what is wrong....... can someone help me?

Is there a Fuse or a Relay or something that I can check?

Please give me any and all the help you can give me.

Thank You.

Roger

Morning Roger

How are you  jumpering the FPC (Fuel Pump Controller) module?  Are you going battery direct to the pump,  or using the 12v supply & low (ground)  from the original FPC  connector?

The fuel pump only runs for a couple of seconds at key-on then doesn't run again until the engine is either  cranked on the starter (or is actually running). Are you taking this into account when you test?  

Did you test for power to the fuel pump with the engine cranking on the starter?  (you need to do this) 

Is the replacement FPC you have new or used? 

Is the replacement FPC silver or black? 

You weren't very specific on  this statement  "I take my volt meter and check the cable that connects to the Fuel Pump Module and ................. I get no Volts. I turn on and off the Ignition and I get no Volts"   so can you explain this in more detail?  What color wire are you testing on???????

We might be able to help you more if you explain your problem in more specific detail as you seem to be missing some details in your above posting.  

We also need to know if your motorcycle is a 2009 (hexhead)  or a 2010 (camhead) BMW motorcycle.