IGNORED

ST windscreen

Hiawatha

I see aftermarket windscreens that are taller/more protection. Seems with the stock screen I need to be speeding to get sufficient wind flow to support my body. Taller screens would cut the wind further increasing the pressure on my hands. Anyone using taller screens? I was even thinking shorter to get more support at lower speeds?

R1200ST

Taller screens would cut the wind further increasing the pressure on my hands.

I think you're right. I'm still adjusting to the ST's riding position, having spent the past few years on an RT. I wouldn't want to give up the additional support offered by the wind. I can't see much of an advantage to be gained by a taller screen, with the exception of the possibility that it might cut down on wind noise.

I sold my 75/5 & R69S a couple years back, sort of bored with bikes and I didn't like the cold. The R1200ST is a whole new world, light, powerful and still a capable tourer. With the gerbings I'm never cold. I never had a full face helmet before, now with the Schuberth C2 things are even better. I never tried ear plugs until a week ago. Thought I needed the road sounds; the ear plugs cut out the residual wind noise. Modern Bike, modern gear never would have dreamt it. Now if we could just get rid of the speed limits! Seems about 80 is were the wind starts to float me so there is little weight on the bars. Maybe I'll experiment and take the wind screen off some day and see how it feels?

R1200ST

NakedRider
I see aftermarket windscreens that are taller/more protection. Seems with the stock screen I need to be speeding to get sufficient wind flow to support my body. Taller screens would cut the wind further increasing the pressure on my hands. Anyone using taller screens? I was even thinking shorter to get more support at lower speeds?

R1200ST

I may do some "experimenting" with screens as well. First up is the ztechnik smoked screen. Looks like the same size as stock except the smoked color will look cool. I may try their bigger one just for grins but I, too, think it would cause extra weight on the hands.

Here's a prev. post on it, with the models that I posted, (im to lazy to retype the hyperlinks tongue.gif). http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/sh...&PHPSESSID=

If I sell my other bike, I may buy that taller shield from ZTechnik, and a top case. I also put to use my other pro-line windjammer II thingy on my scorpion helmet, and it makes a world of difference. I'd still need plugs for a long trip. It was mid 70'd today and didn't have any steam/fog issues. So I may wait for the windshield, as I'm not minding the current one so much.

Seems as though the previous posts are concerned with

weight on the wrists, and so are looking for more wind

pressure.

Well I too found the bars too low for my old bones, so

I bought and installed a "bar raising kit" from Verholen

in Germany. That worked well and takes as much weight off

as you may want. In practice it means the stock bar brackets are now above the top clamp instead of mounted

under it. I've also just installed a Laminar Lip.

I need more road time to judge its merits. OK so far.

Bud F

Red and Black R 1200ST

I never have a weight on the wrist problem at cruising speed or when having fun. Just that speed limit riding doesn't seem to produce the wind to give me that nice float. In clean air the stock shield is great, behind a vehicle there is chewed up air. BMW probably got it right with the screen that is on the ST. I am 5'10" and the bike fits me fine. I think I like the low seat height, still playing with it trying to see if there is a difference in ergo's and wind flow. The screen position makes a little difference, especially when trying to hide from bugs or in the rain. When riding with levi's at speed my pants stay dry tucked into the body work so all in all I love this bike!

R1200ST

Archived