IGNORED

Considering a WetHead R12R

Dirtmerchant

Dirtmerchant

I'm currently riding a CamHead RT and thinking about buying a WetHead R12R as a second bike.  I don't buy anything 1st year, especially from BMW....  I know the WC engines were intruded in the GS two years ahead of the R but wanted to see what you guys thought was a sweet spot from the perspective of value and mechanical refinement. 

Lastly, a subjective question. Were the Red or Blue frame bikes too trendy?

Thanks,

Rod

The 2017 RT had a mid-cycle upgrade to the transmission... that's why I bought it.  Don't know about the R.

Cap

• Like 2

Pre 20I7 be sure to take it for a long enough ride to be sure it is smooth shifting, as the Camheads were much better shifting that the early Wetheads. I have a 2015 Wethead (RT) and overall it is a great engine and drive train.  I did ride a 2017 with the improved transmission (shifting) and while it seemed a little better it was not so different that I wanted to trade up.  I have heard that some pre 2017 Wetheads were down right terrible shifting, so I must have gotten one that wasn't on the bad end of the spectrum.  Haha, that and because I upgraded from an '99 Oilhead which shifted like a John Deere model A tractor almost anything would be better.

I really would like to ride an R because the Wethead motor's performance without the added weight of fairing and cases would likely be supper fun.  Quicker reveing that the dry clutch bikes sure does add to the sporty feel of the Wethead bikes,

On the color thing, it seems BMW Motorad's design team vacillates between being bold, followed by long periods of sort of boring.  I kind of liked the blue frame on the naked bikes.

• Like 1
alegerlotz
On 6/1/2020 at 6:26 AM, Paul De said:

Pre 20I7 be sure to take it for a long enough ride to be sure it is smooth shifting, as the Camheads were much better shifting that the early Wetheads. I have a 2015 Wethead (RT) and overall it is a great engine and drive train.  I did ride a 2017 with the improved transmission (shifting) and while it seemed a little better it was not so different that I wanted to trade up.  I have heard that some pre 2017 Wetheads were down right terrible shifting, so I must have gotten one that wasn't on the bad end of the spectrum. 

My 2016 RT shifts perfectly.... with the clutch and with the shift assist.

One thing that some people have reported is that too high an oil level can negatively impact shifting.  (I fill mine to the center of the sight glass.)  I can't comment on whether this is a real thing or a myth. 

• 1 month later...

I bought a 2015 R1200R this past Feb.  It had 2500 miles, now about 9k.  Of the 25 or so street bikes I've owned, it's quickly becoming my favorite.

It tours wonderfully, and can be ridden like a sport bike...almost.

It shifts fine.  No issues.

I have a 2016 RT and 2018 GS and love them both and honestly the 2016 shifts smoother than the '18.   No issues on either.   My 2016 RT had the water pump seeping through the weep hole but folks on this site convinced me to hold off replacing the pump as they usually stop seeping after about 5K miles and sure enough never has leaked a drop since.   So IMHO any year WC boxer is a fine ride. 

Oh and as far as the red or blue frames .... I like the blue for sure.  But most of the R and RS colors are pretty nice! 

On 5/31/2020 at 8:42 PM, Cap said:

The 2017 RT had a mid-cycle upgrade to the transmission... that's why I bought it.  Don't know about the R.

Cap

Yes it was all I wanted more from my 15 RT, that 17 transmission upgrade.  Well when the opportunity came up on leftover deals I got my 17.5 GS and the transmission is all I had hoped for and more.  Night and day to the 15 RT.  The 15 shifted OK but I had to think way too much about it to be smooth.  The 17.5 GS you just shift, it is much nicer.

If you look up the transmission update it was significant.  IMHO they still have a ways to go!

When the LC R1200R was released, I knew I would own one eventually.  I waited until there was some history &  I read lots of posts in forums before I bought mine.  I believe them to be well sorted out of the box.

The 2017 & new R1250R seem like very nice bikes.  But the incremental improvements aren't enough to get me to upgrade anytime soon.

2954946.jpg