IGNORED

Tyre pressure lights and warnings

beauXjames

beauXjames

I ride a 2016 R 1200 RT.

Wanting to check with the group on some lights popping up on the HUD. Getting the yellow warning triangle + the tyre pressure icon and over on the right in the motorcycle image the rear tyre is red.

Pressure is fine... I'm thinking it's a problem with the RDC sensors. When I restart it goes away for a while but in about 20 minutes the lights pop on again.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to better diagnose the situation?

If your tire pressures are at the correct value, it is possible that the batteries in the Tire Pressure Sensors are dying or are dead. 

Do you have access to a GS-911 ?  If so, you can run diagnostics on the TPMS.  You can also swap the front and rear sensor association using GS-911.  And if the red warning swaps to the front then you can be pretty sure the problem is with the TPMS sensor.  As Bernie says, they have a coin-style battery that will eventually fail.  There are instructions posted on this site with images showing how to replace the battery yourself.  Or you can buy a complete TPMS clone replacement on Amazon.  If you take it to a dealer, prepare to be shocked at the OEM price for the TPMS unit.

cap

beauXjames
4 hours ago, Bernie said:

If your tire pressures are at the correct value, it is possible that the batteries in the Tire Pressure Sensors are dying or are dead. 

ok...I have no idea where the batteries are...AAA?

beauXjames
3 hours ago, Cap said:

Do you have access to a GS-911 ?  If so, you can run diagnostics on the TPMS.  You can also swap the front and rear sensor association using GS-911.  And if the red warning swaps to the front then you can be pretty sure the problem is with the TPMS sensor.  As Bernie says, they have a coin-style battery that will eventually fail.  There are instructions posted on this site with images showing how to replace the battery yourself.  Or you can buy a complete TPMS clone replacement on Amazon.  If you take it to a dealer, prepare to be shocked at the OEM price for the TPMS unit.

cap

I just got this bike...no idea what these are. Where do I find the location of the batteries? I was hoping they powered themselves off pure centrifugal force. 🤪

3 hours ago, beauXjames said:

I just got this bike...no idea what these are. Where do I find the location of the batteries? I was hoping they powered themselves off pure centrifugal force. 🤪

Info about gs 911 here:  https://www.gs911usa.com

here is the tire pressure monitor from Max bmw fiche (not sure if front or back)

57D508FC-EF61-4878-9A6F-EC66B086311C.thumb.jpeg.8af0b37f905e23223ef6be512a033c3c.jpeg

the battery is in #1 which is installed on the wheel inside the tire. They last about 5yrs.  The battery is coin style battery about the size of a nickel and can be dug out of the sensor and replaced with a new one, if you have the time and equipment 

• Thanks 1

My experience is that you won't need a relearn the TPMS will recognize the new sensor. There are some Chinese knock offs on Amazon something like $40 for two that work fine thats what is mounted in my K1600 for the last year or so. 

Different models/years of BMW bikes have different number of allocations of serial numbers for TPMS sending units to be held in memory.

The 2016 RT that the OP has can store 2ea, front and rear, so if it's the first time to introduce a new/unique sending unit serial number....in theory...it could be picked up by just riding the bike.

I'm checking this afternoon on a friends 2018GSA to see if it also has allocation for 2ea serial numbers per wheel position, or if it's limited to only 1 per position as has been reported on some other forums.

1 hour ago, Boxflyer said:

Different models/years of BMW bikes have different number of allocations of serial numbers for TPMS sending units to be held in memory.

The 2016 RT that the OP has can store 2ea, front and rear, so if it's the first time to introduce a new/unique sending unit serial number....in theory...it could be picked up by just riding the bike.

I'm checking this afternoon on a friends 2018GSA to see if it also has allocation for 2ea serial numbers per wheel position, or if it's limited to only 1 per position as has been reported on some other forums.

My 17.5 GS seems to only allow 1 ea.  Front/Rear

• 2 weeks later...
Motorhead1977

I know it's very retro but I sometimes wish for the days when we paid attention to and routinely checked tire pressure and didn't need to spend $230+ dollars per wheel every few years for an electronic reminder device. BTW, the original TPMS sensors in my '09 GL1800 were still functioning perfectly when I traded it in in the spring of 2018 so it's possible to get longer lived service from such items. (My 2012 Suzuki Kizashi original TPMS sensors are also still functioning perfectly) Yep, BMW = bring more wallet.

In that vein of keeping it simple, I've solved many issues with warning lights in the dash with a strip of black tape.

• Haha 1

Great feedback everyone...I have enlisted a local shop to help out...he just got the TPMS part we need in. Taking it over to him. I bought the bike with a warranty from EFG and they are stepping up to pay for it all...so win win...may have him do the front and rear!

Till next time...off to get my Torx drivers so I can mount my new Givi Monokey plate...is it wrong I've already put stickers on the top case before it even gets mounted?

It's a little wrong, but we know you're excited, so, ok!

Be aware, warranty will only pay if a part fails, so if one is working still and you pre-emptively change it, that may be on your dime.