Dreamer

Led Beams for R1200RT-15

Dreamer

Hi, I am looking at front led beams. Original BMW beams seem oke, pricy, but not sure if there are better alternatives. Also not sure if these alternatives are easy to install. The BMW beams need to be activated in the system of the BMW Dealer, not sure if that needs to be done by non BMW front beams.
So any suggestions for a good alternative front beam or are the original BMW beams oke?

realshelby

As far as I know you can install other brands and use the BMW wiring. Yes, they have to be "turned on". But that can be done with a HexCan tool also. 

Or, better yet and for less money in some cases, go with Clearwater lights or Odyssey (? I think that is right ). Both have plug in modules that allow installation with NO wire cutting and no guessing. They also have the ability to dim the lights in the daytime for you and change brightness both when on in daytime or nighttime. The fact that they are so much easier to install than traditional methods....sort of makes up for the $700ish price. 

• Like 1

Dreamer

Thanks for the reply's.

I can have a BMW led light installment for 600 euro's, around same price as the Clearwater lights. Are the clearwater te be preffered of not? So better beams, more dimoptions etc?

realshelby

I would take the Clearwater lights over the BMW light every single time!  The BMW lights are not all that bright. And intensity is not adjustable. I run the Darla version, the smallest ones and that is all the light I need. I can only imagine the larger versions, but their advantage would only be where you could run high beams. I don't get that much.....

• Like 2

Paul De

My solution was....yes, to buy Chinese knock off LED driving lights on eBay that look like OEM for 15% of the OEM price.  I did buy the OEM driving light brackets which are a premium to 3rd party options, but the knock off lights bolted right on with no modification needed.  I then bought a Hex EZcan controller which gives you 4 power ports that are programmable for amperage, when they turn off and other parameters. After set up on/off and brightness level are controlled with the BMW wonder wheel. A nice safety feature is the ability to set the driving lights to flash when you activate the horn, and I think you can set up an accessory tail/brake light that has a variable flash rate based on your deceleration rate (not legal in the US at this time). I tested the amperage draw of the knock off LED lights and as expected I could put them on one circuit which now leaves three for future accessories. You can attach anything you want up to the amp limits of the circuit.  Close to a plug and play set up, only requiring adding wires to connect the light and EZcan pigtail leads together which is about 3 meters to total for the +/- power leads to the lights and waterproof crimp connectors which I already had in my shop.

Funny thing is I got my EZcan from a accessory vendor in the UK for a supper sale price, but shipping and duty brought the cost to about 10% savings over buying from a vendor here.  So you might do well to shop around for sales of the EZcan.   They have a gen 2 unit out and maybe gen 1 controllers out there on the vendor shelves will be significantly discounted.

I think the total investment was right around $375 US, or about $340 Euro. (the OEM BMW brackets were 40% of the cost).

Controller

https://www.hexezcan.com/

Llights

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=LED+Fog+Light+Driving+Auxiliary+Lights+For+BMW&_sacat=0

Paul De

As realshelby says you might be able to simply use BMWs control circuit if you get it activated and skip the EZcan, but for the price around 200 Euro you gain so much flexibility on powering other her accessories

Dreamer

Oke, think the Clearwater Darla would be great. Not sure though what to order, need the total packedge incl. the brackets. And hope I can understand the install prices and activate. Not sure how this works. 

Bernie
3 hours ago, Dreamer said:

Oke, think the Clearwater Darla would be great. Not sure though what to order, need the total packedge incl. the brackets. And hope I can understand the install prices and activate. Not sure how this works. 

If you decide to go with the Clearwater system, you don’t need to activate anything.

They have complete packages, including the lights, brackets, mounting hardware, wire harnesses, control modules and instruction guides for installation and programming.

I installed a Hybird system from them with one Selvina and one Erica mounted on the BMW fog light brackets, with a Billie Tail Light frame. The controller handles it all. It works together with the BMW RT ambient light sensor and adjust the brightness on low beam for day and night time operations.

Clearwater Lights R1200RT-LC

30A16328-1C63-469E-8D6D-F268CEEEC47A.thumb.jpeg.1b3be55a4887e3e4a6bbf49ce237dfd8.jpeg

Low Beam.

5A5DE636-7B4E-4BEB-9F23-E68EAF1F343C.thumb.jpeg.1367bd468bedd38c82849b48d0f56d67.jpeg

High Beam.

6FF1953A-022F-4373-945C-47AEF4281765.thumb.jpeg.2276dc6eefe6c97729af7519064e7fe3.jpeg

I would also recommend the light covers, which gives you the option yo install yellow covers on the lenses.

I installed a clear and a yellow cover and it really helps people see you.CBAC4DF0-91D8-4743-BBC6-F832A21CA9E8.thumb.jpeg.85763971a641ff1b4fd3c844ff14b232.jpeg

Dreamer

Great post Bernie. Thanks for the reply.
I myself prefer the smaller Darla lights from clearwater, but what a bright lights you have.
So looks like plig and play with the instruction, how much installment time did you need?

Sandlapper

I'm a n00bie to this tech stuff for bikes as the bikes I owned before were "old" like their owner.....

So as I said in another thread I'm looking at some Denali driving lights and they have a controller called "CanSmart" is this essentially the same as "EZcan" just branded different? The main reason I ask is there is a significant price difference, $50-75.

Bernie
27 minutes ago, Sandlapper said:

I'm a n00bie to this tech stuff for bikes as the bikes I owned before were "old" like their owner.....

So as I said in another thread I'm looking at some Denali driving lights and they have a controller called "CanSmart" is this essentially the same as "EZcan" just branded different? The main reason I ask is there is a significant price difference, $50-75.

I don’t know which one is the best one to use. I used the Clearwater controller for the Clearwater lights. 
I would use which ever one the light manufacturer or distributor recommends. 

Cap
7 hours ago, Sandlapper said:

.... I'm looking at some Denali driving lights and they have a controller called "CanSmart" is this essentially the same as "EZcan" just branded different? ...

Yes, the CanSmart is made by the same company that makes the EZcan.  When the CanSmart was introduced, it had some additional features that the Gen 1 EZcan did not have, and it was sold through an exclusive channel.  So, the price was higher.  But since then, the Gen 2 EZcan has been released, and from what I could tell when I bought mine, the Gen 2 has almost identical features.  Either one will control a variety of accessories while integrated into the wethead electrical system.  You don't need to use any specific brand of lighting as long as you are comfortable stripping wires and crimping or soldering or otherwise connecting stuff.  However, if you want a truly turn-key system with all the wiring harnesses premade for you and having the connectors already sorted, then by all means consider the Denali family of products.

Cap

• Like 2

Dave_in_TX

I had Clearwater Erica's on my 2014 GS. They were great for times I found myself riding the boonies in the dark. I could adjust to different intensity depend on whether headlight was on high or low beam.

Colorado Jeff
On 5/31/2020 at 12:44 PM, Bernie said:

I would also recommend the light covers, which gives you the option yo install yellow covers on the lenses.

I installed a clear and a yellow cover and it really helps people see you.CBAC4DF0-91D8-4743-BBC6-F832A21CA9E8.thumb.jpeg.85763971a641ff1b4fd3c844ff14b232.jpeg

Let me start by saying I highly recommend the Darlas.  They are plug-n-play, work great.  Expensive, but well constructed, should last a very long time.  I am confident that these save me from accidents all the time due to the increased visibility.

Bernie, I am curious as to why clear on the right and yellow on the left.  Is the yellow to reduce spillage into the oncoming lane?  It also appears in the above image that you may have put black tape on the right side of each light to reduce light flowing to far to the right.  If that is true, may I ask why?

Rinkydink

Me thinks he was just showing you the difference...

wbw6cos

It breaks up the light pattern to get noticed better, as in, amber/white - vs - amber/amber or white/white.

Yeah, I know that sounds like the start of a great poem for motorcycling.   Just sayin'

Colorado Jeff
52 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

It breaks up the light pattern to get noticed better, as in, amber/white - vs - amber/amber or white/white.

I suppose, it would be interesting to see a study to validate.  When I see other bikes coming my way and one has clear lights and another has the yellow filter, the yellow seems far brighter to me.  Just saying...

• Like 1

Bernie
5 hours ago, Colorado Jeff said:

Let me start by saying I highly recommend the Darlas.  They are plug-n-play, work great.  Expensive, but well constructed, should last a very long time.  I am confident that these save me from accidents all the time due to the increased visibility.

Bernie, I am curious as to why clear on the right and yellow on the left.  Is the yellow to reduce spillage into the oncoming lane?  It also appears in the above image that you may have put black tape on the right side of each light to reduce light flowing to far to the right.  If that is true, may I ask why?

Well, Jeff, after seeing KKcycling coming the other way during one of the START/FART events, with a Yellow lens and a White lens, I decided it really gets your attention. It did get mine. Sometimes too many white lights just sort of washout, because of no contrast, I believe. This setup really gets peoples attention.

The other reason I used the Yellow lens cover on the right light, because it is a Sevina (bigger and more powerful), is to prevent blinding oncoming traffic at night. 

If I would do it again, I would go with both lights being Erica's, not because of the balanced look, but because it doesn't really help much.

As for the black stripe on the right light (Clear lens, Erica), it is due to the flickering that LED's do. The lights do not stay on all the time, like normal incandescence or halogen bulbs. But the cycle on and off rapidly. So some pictures show the lights on, or off or only one on.

I will try to remember to make a similar video with the clear and yellow covers installed.

• Like 1

LAF
15 hours ago, Colorado Jeff said:

I suppose, it would be interesting to see a study to validate.  When I see other bikes coming my way and one has clear lights and another has the yellow filter, the yellow seems far brighter to me.  Just saying...

Pretty sure it is a proven fact the human eye and mind interrupts yellow light faster then white. 

Also the triangle of light is important  as the mind and eye see that quicker then one light.  So caliper or crash bar mounting is great.

I used Denali D4 lights with yellow covers and a ezCAN by HEX.  The Denali lights are unique in you can use the lens on each light to focus down range or some down range and some to the side.  The lens has four lens ground into it and depending on which lens you install you get different patterns.  Here is a link to it and it shows you the diagram of how the lights can be configured.  These are great lights and the ezCAN is wonderful.  And the best part is they are very well priced.  Denali D4 Lights

Rinkydink
21 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

Me thinks he was just showing you the difference...

Bernie , in your pics of bike in garage do you have one white and one yellow?

Bernie
52 minutes ago, Rinkydink said:

Bernie , in your pics of bike in garage do you have one white and one yellow?

No, in that picture/video the lights are without any cover.

Rinkydink
21 minutes ago, Bernie said:

No, in that picture/video the lights are without any cover.

Good, I’m still semi aware. I couldn’t tell any difference and per your earlier post thought one was yellow. 

Bernie
2 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

Good, I’m still semi aware. I couldn’t tell any difference and per your earlier post thought one was yellow. 

After those pictures where taken, I did install the optional lens covers. They include clear and yellow lenses. And I have been using a yellow lens on my left (clutch side) light and a clear lens on my right (Throttle side) light.

CBAC4DF0-91D8-4743-BBC6-F832A21CA9E8.thumb.jpeg.85763971a641ff1b4fd3c844ff14b232.jpeg

• Like 1

Cap
23 hours ago, LAF said:

Pretty sure it is a proven fact the human eye and mind interrupts yellow light faster then white. ... 

I lead a team of Human Factors researchers who are cognitive psychologists at a university.  I posed your statement to them, and asked if anyone was aware of research findings that might explain your claim about yellow light.  Here's what we know: first, contrast is important.  So, for example, when comparing the conspicuity of red emergency vehicles to those painted in that emergency fluorescent-yellow color, the yellow color has better contrast with the background than red, which makes it easier to see.  And this is especially true at night, where red has low contrast with black, and yellow has much better contrast with black.  This principle has been applied to computer displays with some success.  Most displays, for example those used by air traffic controllers, use a dark background on which symbols are shown in various colors.  There is a convention that important things are shown in red -- so software designers often choose red to display emergencies and alerts.  This choice, while well-intended, turns out to be a poor one.  Users of dark-background displays will often fail to notice alerts that are shown in red; the explanation is something we call attentional tunneling in which the operator has willfully directed their attention to some specific task, and the low-contrast alerting cues are simply not noticed.  

So, what does this say about yellow lenses vs. white lights?  I am not aware of any research that addresses this specific question.  I can speculate that if there is a difference it will be caused by contrast with the visual environment.  So, for example, during daylight one might speculate that amber lenses on high-output lights are relatively rare, and thus might have greater contrast with a complex visual environment like one might encounter while riding in a city.  At night, in a city having lots of colored lights, the contrast might not be as evident.  At night, on the open road, white should have somewhat higher contrast than amber.  Just my speculation. 

For my moto, I use very bright white lights, and practice scanning the visual environment constantly as a way to mitigate attentional tunneling.  There's a lot more to making yourself conspicuous than the color of your lenses, and that is a discussion for another place and time.

Cheers, Cap

• Like 3

LAF
10 hours ago, Cap said:

I lead a team of Human Factors researchers who are cognitive psychologists at a university.  I posed your statement to them, and asked if anyone was aware of research findings that might explain your claim about yellow light.  Here's what we know: first, contrast is important.  So, for example, when comparing the conspicuity of red emergency vehicles to those painted in that emergency fluorescent-yellow color, the yellow color has better contrast with the background than red, which makes it easier to see.  And this is especially true at night, where red has low contrast with black, and yellow has much better contrast with black.  This principle has been applied to computer displays with some success.  Most displays, for example those used by air traffic controllers, use a dark background on which symbols are shown in various colors.  There is a convention that important things are shown in red -- so software designers often choose red to display emergencies and alerts.  This choice, while well-intended, turns out to be a poor one.  Users of dark-background displays will often fail to notice alerts that are shown in red; the explanation is something we call attentional tunneling in which the operator has willfully directed their attention to some specific task, and the low-contrast alerting cues are simply not noticed.  

So, what does this say about yellow lenses vs. white lights?  I am not aware of any research that addresses this specific question.  I can speculate that if there is a difference it will be caused by contrast with the visual environment.  So, for example, during daylight one might speculate that amber lenses on high-output lights are relatively rare, and thus might have greater contrast with a complex visual environment like one might encounter while riding in a city.  At night, in a city having lots of colored lights, the contrast might not be as evident.  At night, on the open road, white should have somewhat higher contrast than amber.  Just my speculation. 

For my moto, I use very bright white lights, and practice scanning the visual environment constantly as a way to mitigate attentional tunneling.  There's a lot more to making yourself conspicuous than the color of your lenses, and that is a discussion for another place and time.

Cheers, Cap

Thank you for the very good information.  I think I read it in a blog or somewhere where it was said the yellow and I think is was a reference to contrast.  I may have worded my first post wrong. 

At any rate I am very happy with my GS LED headlight and my Denali with yellow lens mounted low on the crash bars.  The D4 put out 8750 Lumen and with the ezCAN set on lowest modulation setting I am very sure I am seen well with the modulation and the yellow lens down low and the LED headlight.

I guess since you are what I would consider or have access to the brain power to explain what and why the triangle of light is so effective?  I know it has been what I have been led to believe over the years and has been written a bunch.  Is it the pattern or contrast of three lights or both?

Thank you again for any info you can share.  Pretty cool you have access to that brain power and information.

LAF
On 6/11/2020 at 10:03 AM, Cap said:

Cheers, Cap

Well just one search and I knew I had read many articles on yellow light.  Here is one.

Yellow light

Cap
On 6/15/2020 at 4:22 AM, LAF said:

Well just one search and I knew I had read many articles on yellow light.  Here is one.

Yellow light

Yes, as the article states, yellow is the second best alternative for contrast behind white against black.  And contrast is what we want from our conspicuity lighting.  The article has a nice explanation of why yellow is better than the other colors.  I think another part of salience of visual signals is their novelty.  If you see something unusual, something that your experience says, "that shouldn't be there," then that signal is more salient.  So, if most motos do not use yellow lenses, then the ones that do gain some small benefit from their novelty.  And if you see a moto with one lens yellow, and another white, well, that is really strange and wonderful.  Just don't fixate on it or you will miss the deer jumping out in front of you.:cool:

• Like 2

Colorado Jeff
On 6/9/2020 at 4:16 PM, Bernie said:

Well, Jeff, after seeing KKcycling coming the other way during one of the START/FART events, with a Yellow lens and a White lens, I decided it really gets your attention. It did get mine. Sometimes too many white lights just sort of washout, because of no contrast, I believe. This setup really gets peoples attention.

The other reason I used the Yellow lens cover on the right light, because it is a Sevina (bigger and more powerful), is to prevent blinding oncoming traffic at night. 

If I would do it again, I would go with both lights being Erica's, not because of the balanced look, but because it doesn't really help much.

As for the black stripe on the right light (Clear lens, Erica), it is due to the flickering that LED's do. The lights do not stay on all the time, like normal incandescence or halogen bulbs. But the cycle on and off rapidly. So some pictures show the lights on, or off or only one on.

I will try to remember to make a similar video with the clear and yellow covers installed.

71B99E17-44BF-40F2-AFC1-717A13B0FB06.mov 11.06 MB · 4 downloads

Interesting, thanks Bernie.  I might give that a try.