IGNORED

A scary noise

Al up north

Al up north

So I took Gretchen (96 r1100rt with 191k) for first double ride on weekend. She was great except twice something happened that is giving me heartburn. Both times I was in 3rd gear and accelerating (not hard at all) and I heard a “clunk” and there was a little “slip” and then all good. 

Scared to ask but ideas?

thanks! 

1 hour ago, Al up north said:

So I took Gretchen (96 r1100rt with 191k) for first double ride on weekend. She was great except twice something happened that is giving me heartburn. Both times I was in 3rd gear and accelerating (not hard at all) and I heard a “clunk” and there was a little “slip” and then all good. 

Scared to ask but ideas?

thanks! 

Afternoon Al

A known problem with early 1100 bikes__

Unfortunately that 'clunk' usually means that your transmission is momentarily jumping out of engagement then quickly back into engagement. This is a bad sign on the early 1100 motorcycles (those have no back-cut on the gear  engagement dogs).

Treat it gently as that problem will only get worse the longer you ride it until it won't stay engaged in that problem gear at all. 

Not a cheap or easy repair-- Most just find a later year  (M-97) used transmission to replace the problematic early transmission with. 

Next time you change the trans gear oil look at the gear oil  color, if it looks bronzish then you pretty well know for sure you have rounded off shift dogs on 3rd gear & that bronze color is from shift fork wear caused by  the poorly engaged (rounded)  shift dogs putting back pressure on the shift fork.

Al up north

Thanks Dirt, I kinda thought it would be something like that. Ok gentler riding only (which is really my style anyways) and hope for the best until she bites it. Much appreciate the response!

quick follow up. If she goes am I stuck or will just 3rd be gone? Wondering how toast i would be in that situation. 

Lots of folks ride for a long time with this issue. that being said, it typically starts with a slip when you downshift to third and whack the throttle wide open. If you're getting it gentle acceleration you may have had it for awhile and not known it. You should be OK riding it for awhile, but I'd be shopping for an EBay transmission.

Al up north

Thanks Jim,

yep I’ve started shopping. Looks like $350cnd. I guess I’ll start watching YouTube’s on how to change it out. Hopefully I get this riding season in and maybe a winter project. I took her for a test drive before buying and cycled up and down etc and didn’t notice a thing, till last weekend. I’ll be extra gentle on her.