IGNORED

Key Blanks

ST-Tim

Hello all

Finally installed my new Michelin PR4 GT tires yesterday on  my « new to me » 2011 R1200RT.    Was out for my first ride finally today.

When I bought the bike it only came with one key.  Does anyone know where I can obtain key blanks for this bike?  The closest dealer is about an hour away.  Not sure what they would charge.  A local locksmith here told me if I could get the blank he could cut it for $30.  

Is it better to just get copies from the dealer?  Or find blanks and have them cut locally?  

As always your advice and guidance are much appreciated.

Tim

14 hours ago, ST-Tim said:

Hello all

Finally installed my new Michelin PR4 GT tires yesterday on  my « new to me » 2011 R1200RT.    Was out for my first ride finally today.

When I bought the bike it only came with one key.  Does anyone know where I can obtain key blanks for this bike?  The closest dealer is about an hour away.  Not sure what they would charge.  A local locksmith here told me if I could get the blank he could cut it for $30.  

Is it better to just get copies from the dealer?  Or find blanks and have them cut locally?  

As always your advice and guidance are much appreciated.

Tim

Morning Tim

You can probably find a key blank but even if duplicated (cut) it won't be able to start your motorcycle. BMW uses special ignition keys that have electronic immobilizer pellets in them. Not only does the key need to fit the ignition switch but it has to have that pellet, then be properly programmed into your specific motorcycle.   

If you only need the key to open the side cases or top box then a simple duplicated (cut) key without that special pellet will work.

Even going to a dealer won't get you a new programable key without proof that you own that motorcycle (like your title with your name & address on it). BMW is pretty strict about this. 

szurszewski

Did this recently for a 2012. Dealer needed my vin and proof of ownership (I used my registration and matching ID). They had the key ready in a few days. I assume you could start the process over the phone and have it ready to pick up with an ID check when you arrive. 

Cost was about $90. 

I used to use a very specialized locksmith that could copy the programming on a lot of keys (including Ducati/Piaggio/Vespa) which they said was unusual - not sure if there is such a place near you, or if they could do BMW (this shop was in Oregon). Even if so, the cost was close to the same as BMW charged me.