Jump to content
TTM3

Gearbox Oil Change Capacity

Recommended Posts

TTM3

2011 R1200RT - Changing gearbox oil and concerned about capacity - is it 700 ML or add until it reaches the bottom of fill plug? I didn't measure drained oil and 700 ml puts it below fill hole. Over thinking ... or add more ... don't waste  the 300 ml left from the 1 litre bottle?

 

Love the built in spout on the Liqui-Moly 75W90 Synthetic from Beemer Boneyard!

Share this post


Link to post
dirtrider
6 hours ago, TTM3 said:

2011 R1200RT - Changing gearbox oil and concerned about capacity - is it 700 ML or add until it reaches the bottom of fill plug? I didn't measure drained oil and 700 ml puts it below fill hole. Over thinking ... or add more ... don't waste  the 300 ml left from the 1 litre bottle?

 

Love the built in spout on the Liqui-Moly 75W90 Synthetic from Beemer Boneyard!

Morning Tom

 

With motorcycle level fill to bottom edge of fill neck threads (appx. 700 ml).

 

 

2011 gear box oil level.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
TTM3
3 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Tom

 

With motorcycle level fill to bottom edge of fill neck threads (appx. 700 ml).

 

 

2011 gear box oil level.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Pappy35

Mine took 770ml last time.

Share this post


Link to post
Highway41

Pour out enough out of the bottle to bring it down to the 800ml mark and put the bike on the side stand to fill.  Emptying the bottle brings the level to just below the fill hole.

Share this post


Link to post
6speedTi
12 hours ago, Pappy35 said:

Mine took 770ml last time.

Was it on the side stand or on the center stand? Bike needs to be level. If you place it on the side stand the tilt of the bike will allow you to add more oil if you fill to the bottom of the filler hole. 

Share this post


Link to post
TTM3

Thank you all for the help! On the center stand it took exactly 800 ml to get it to the bottom of the fill plug.

Share this post


Link to post
Pappy35
On 5/22/2020 at 7:02 PM, Highway41 said:

Pour out enough out of the bottle to bring it down to the 800ml mark and put the bike on the side stand to fill.  Emptying the bottle brings the level to just below the fill hole.

 

Why would you try to put more oil in than is called for? It takes 700ml and I could see going a little over per their direction (to the bottom of the hole). If it was on the center stand and took 800ml then I'm sure that's fine.

 

12 hours ago, 6speedTi said:

Was it on the side stand or on the center stand? Bike needs to be level. If you place it on the side stand the tilt of the bike will allow you to add more oil if you fill to the bottom of the filler hole. 

 

770ml to the bottom of hole with the bike on the center stand per the service manual's recommendation.

Share this post


Link to post
Highway41

Over the years with 3 RTs, I found it used about 800ml to bring the level to the bottom of the fill hole after draining overnight.  Just easier to put the bike on the side stand and pour it in instead of trying to get it up to the bottom of the hole.

Share this post


Link to post
6speedTi
1 hour ago, Highway41 said:

Over the years with 3 RTs, I found it used about 800ml to bring the level to the bottom of the fill hole after draining overnight.  Just easier to put the bike on the side stand and pour it in instead of trying to get it up to the bottom of the hole.

It may be easier as you say to put it on the side stand but it is not proper servicing procedure as per BMW servicing manual. 

I drain my gearbox on the centerstand and let it drain out for a while. Sometimes overnight hot or cold I still let it drain more than it probably needs too. I don't measure any amount before adding. The fill hole is a calibrated machined hole that is placed at the correct level per BMW engineering. They can't make it any easier than that. It's like having an idiot light instead of a gauge.  I fill my gearbox up until it reaches the fill port. That's it and your at the correct level.  My suggestion is to try to follow the BMW service manual as much as possible. They designed, engineered and tested their product before releasing it to us to enjoy. Happy riding and be safe.

Share this post


Link to post
dirtrider
2 hours ago, Highway41 said:

Over the years with 3 RTs, I found it used about 800ml to bring the level to the bottom of the fill hole after draining overnight.  Just easier to put the bike on the side stand and pour it in instead of trying to get it up to the bottom of the hole.

Morning  Highway41

 

That is pretty well how I do it.

 

Drain the gearbox on the center stand overnight, next day replace the drain plug, then put bike on side stand to fill. Then pour off 5 ounces from a quart of gear oil  into a different container, then dump 27 ounces of new gear oil into the trans, then re-install the plug & done. Close enough as anything over 23.5 oz  is plenty & 27 ounces seems to be pretty close to bottom of fill plug hole with motorcycle on center stand & just slightly high with both wheels on the ground (or both wheels down on my motorcycle lift).  

 

Lot easier to fill on the side stand. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...