IGNORED

2021 1250RT changes?

kkm

On 2/9/2021 at 4:17 PM, wbw6cos said:

I do like the new headlights.   I see they decided to paint-match the nose trim; looks good.   Not a big fan of that TFT display.  It has the appearance of being easliy removed.   I guess it was said "let's get it out on the market post-haste!"

I did see an article a few weeks ago from England that stated guys with the TFT on the GS models have found the removed from the bike on there return. Apparently they are only held in by a rubber grommet & plug on the bottom

While I don't consider myself "that old", I am going to miss the tach & speedo gauges sweeping along.  Maybe the TFT will grow on me but it hasn't warmed me up yet.  Time will tell.  Waited to see the 21's and decided on an 1,800 19 in Mars Red.  

One day we'll look back on that big square screen and say, what a classic design, I remember when those came out and we didn't like them, but now, geeze, just so classic, like the art deco phase, or the classic round headlights, too bad they don't bring it back!

Yeah, probably not.

• Like 1

If I read the "build your own" segment on BMW USA, it looks like you have 2 choices on the white:  Base model for $20,100  OR an all inclusive package for $25,740 

So $5,500+ for the option package. :5150:

Understanding the issue at resale with many buyers, I would still be tempted to buy the base if Gear shift assist pro could be added, which I like on my 2018.  The rest of the options are a big "meh" to me--radio, tpm, keyless ride, etc.    

Question--Is there a way to add individual options from the dealer, as you can do currently with auxiliary lights, for instance?  Dynamic ESA might be  a bigger problem.

I was told that the answer is NO. You only can get with the 5.000 package that comes with everything or the bare basic minimal for 20.000.   US and Canada are only going to be offer these two options. 

GeordieTraveller

In Canada we have a list of extras to choose from.  There are 2 “packs” - Comfort and Dynamic but I also spec’d tyre pressure monitors, headlight assist pro amongst others. In fact I think the only one I didn’t choose was the radio but I could have had none if I wished. 

the best change for me is the adaptive headlight, that is my only real complaint with my 2019 is even with the small lights added on the lighting just isn't strong enough when compared to LED lighting solutions I have experienced either on the Street Glide I owned and nothing compared to my car. Since my morning commute is usually in the dark the lighting is much more important to me.

11 hours ago, CruisinCruzan said:

I’m hoping the led high beams will make me feel that I don’t need to hang additional lights on the bike. 

Hi CruisinCruzan! Your hopes will be fulfilled. Two days ago, I visited the dealer and saw, touched the new RT. I managed to measure the intensity of the light, I was pleasantly surprised. 3500 lux has a new RT against 2800 lux old. This is a high beam. The low beam is also stronger. 586 lux old, 830 lux new. The measurements were carried out at a distance of 5.5 meters with an uncertified device, but the difference is clear. The light modules are the same as on the new 1250GS, but the high beam is twice as large.

Smooth roads for everyone! )

• 2 weeks later...
CruisinCruzan

Doing the full geek out, started reading the ‘21 owner’s manual, despite my dealer still unable to tell me availability/pricing.

fourteenfour

Interesting review. Not sure I want the Traffic Aware Cruise Control on a motorcycle. He did mention the speakers are still useless.  The lighting was the concern I had on my 2019 which they may have fixed.

Having looked at the front end of the Older 1250 and the new 1250, I much prefer the old one. The proportions make it look very narrow eyed, almost 'dozy' looking.

It makes the front end look very 'slab fronted' . I will be interested to see if the suspension is any more supple than previous model years.

CruisinCruzan

The BMW configurator. no longer has the premium package but all of the options as separate items. I find it hard to believe BMW would allow that amount of choice. Still waiting for numbers and availability from my dealer.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, CruisinCruzan said:

The BMW configurator. no longer has the premium package but all of the options as separate items. I find it hard to believe BMW would allow that amount of choice. Still waiting for numbers and availability from my dealer.

Nice.  Except if you add Headlight Pro ($0), it automatically adds Dynamic ESA($800) and the Adaptive Headlight ($575). And I don't see the radio as either an option or as standard? No prices on accessories like the top case? Still, at one time I could not even change the color in the Configurator without changing packages. I was able to create a couple nice combinations in the low $20K range.  With the packages, I was coming up with prices around $25K-$27K. Maybe there is hope.

Anyone else that would like the Option 719 parts if they did not have "719" all over them?

John Bentall
4 hours ago, lkraus said:

And I don't see the radio as either an option or as standard?

On our UK website, we get a message saying that although radio prep is available as an accessory, the radio itself is not available. With the improved connectivity available for smartphones (so that hey can be used for navigation) including inductive charging, I wonder how many will go for the radio option.

CruisinCruzan

Never used the onboard radio on any bike. I find that Spotify meets my music needs. I like the charging pocket they designed into the bike, however, would it have been that difficult to design a space that would accommodate the larger phones such as the 12 Pro Max? I’m hoping some minor sanding/filing/dremeling will make it fit, or even better they were conservative in stating what phones would fit. Of course having the phone fit with the case would have been a bridge too far to hope for.

I was told by my dealer that there is issues getting some parts to complete the radio system on the new bike.  They are going to release the bike at first with no radio installed and discount the bike some way for it not being there.  They said it could be retrofited later when the parts become availabe but would probably cost way more to do so than the discount they will offer on the bike with no radio.  I am in line waiting for a new one as I already sold my 2015 RT back in the fall when the market was at a high for used bikes.  I dont usualy use the radio much on the bike I had, but I planed

on getting the top of the line 719 Edition and if I got it without the radio it might hurt if and when I ever deside to sell it.  I think I will be waiting untill they get it sorted out and get it equiped with everything it suposed to have.

CruisinCruzan

My dealer (Max) just told me that the bikes will not have a radio due to the chip issue, there is no adjustment to the price (same price, less equipment, what a deal!). Could not tell me if there is a plan to eventually put in the radio or if the speakers will still be installed (would rather have 2 additional storage pockets, after market, hint, hint). A definitive answer from BMW would be nice, but I’m not holding my breath.

CruisinCruzan

Just got off the phone with BMW NA and of course they have no communication concerning the radio, adjustments to price, future plans once chips become available, etc. Although I’m not surprised at the lack of knowledge and/or desire to share information from the company I’m buying the bike from it does aggravate me. I don’t think I’ve ever had a fruitful conversation with BMW NA.

This topic has had an interesting turn. I always describe my 2018 R1200RT-LC has a rolling Boombox with a built in generator and a gear box.  But this discussion clearly shows that most of the people are more interested in the radio portion of an RT, then simple things like tires, motor or alternator capacity. What about the reduced range because of the small fuel tank? What generation Bluetooth is BMW using on the 2021?
For the price of the BMW Radio, you could buy the any highend aftermarket radio and have plenty of money left for a set of tires or two. Everyone I know listend to the music app on there phone.

End of rant. Sorry!

I noticed the ridiculously priced audio system was not mentioned in the configurator only because I wanted to be sure it could be deleted.  My phone stores audiobooks and podcasts, Zumo holds the music, Sena 20S provides the sound and (rarely) FM. Bikes going by with speakers blasting is extremely annoying and I would never use them. 

• Like 1
On 3/25/2021 at 8:17 AM, Bernie said:

This topic has had an interesting turn. I always describe my 2018 R1200RT-LC has a rolling Boombox with a built in generator and a gear box.  But this discussion clearly shows that most of the people are more interested in the radio portion of an RT, then simple things like tires, motor or alternator capacity. What about the reduced range because of the small fuel tank? What generation Bluetooth is BMW using on the 2021?
For the price of the BMW Radio, you could buy the any highend aftermarket radio and have plenty of money left for a set of tires or two. Everyone I know listend to the music app on there phone.

End of rant. Sorry!

From what I saw of the configurator last month was either loaded with the premium package or stripped and the only way to get it stripped was order it. Dealers order them full boat. I don't care about radio or nav, but unless one special orders it, that's the way they come. 

On 3/25/2021 at 11:17 AM, Bernie said:

What about the reduced range because of the small fuel tank? What generation Bluetooth is BMW using on the 2021?

Hmmm, smaller fuel tank? The 2021 lists at 6.6 gal, which is the same size as my 2014 R1200RT. So with the improved gas mileage from the shift cam engine I suspect the 2021 will easily go 300 mile on a tank.

• Thinking 1

My local salesman said today that BMW or the dealership is offering a pair of Bluetooth Headsets as compensation for the missing radio. Cardo or Sena?

On 3/31/2021 at 12:06 PM, Bernie said:

My local salesman said today that BMW or the dealership is offering a pair of Bluetooth Headsets as compensation for the missing radio. Cardo or Sena?

BMW Bulletin for the 2021 RT. No radio so you get 2 free BMW (worthless) comm units. My dealer is talking to corporate as this doesn't seen equitable and can you get a store credit instead. These early US RTs don't even have the other hardware necessary for the radio so you can't even put one in later. Also no TPMS on these early ones too, but no monetary reason you can add that later. ;)

Still really like this bike and still trying to figure out Connected App to get music too. Everything else works good but getting music (via phone app) on a consistent basis, I am still working on the technique for that. 

I think the music would be played direct from the phone.

Since the Connect App send instruction direct from the phone to the headset, I think the music should be also able to play direct from the phone to the headset.

Also I think the newer BMW Bluetooth headsets are made by Sena. I don't think they are Mesh units. But they should connect to Sena units.

Of course if you are a Cardo user, it would be useless.

But no TPMS, that is really bad. I hope they can retro fit them.

CruisinCruzan

The TPMS is a self-contained unit it would be very easy to retrofit, they really should make that happen once the units become available.

From what I have read, the whole front end has changed, somewhat,  as they redesigned the fairing to be a little more wider.  I never thought that would affect the screen mounting, but what do I know?   Is Werks quiet ride R & D going to design another model of The Quiet Ridewindshield?  :dontknow:   Not that I will need one any time soon.   Just sayin'

33 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

From what I have read, the whole front end has changed, somewhat,  as they redesigned the fairing to be a little more wider.  I never thought that would affect the screen mounting, but what do I know?   Is Werks quiet ride R & D going to design another model of The Quiet Ridewindshield?  :dontknow:   Not that I will need one any time soon.   Just sayin'

There will be others

On 2/15/2021 at 1:50 PM, JSCOTT said:

While I don't consider myself "that old", I am going to miss the tach & speedo gauges sweeping along.  Maybe the TFT will grow on me but it hasn't warmed me up yet.  Time will tell.  Waited to see the 21's and decided on an 1,800 19 in Mars Red.  

Humans are analog beings...I prefer analog clocks. The worst is the HD Softail standard and street bob. I'd need a magnifying glass to read them. 

Hello everyone So it turned out, I became the owner of RT 21MY. I made an order in November last year and in April I was already on a new motorcycle. At the time of the order, there were no restrictions on the electrical components, I received a full-fledged bike. According to technical characteristics (engine, transmission, handling) no changes. But multimedia is a miracle! A huge, no, HUGE display is the main center through which all connections occur. The radio works even in the underground box thanks to the new antennas. Navigation is broadcast from your smartphone by WLAN along with traffic and speed limit. TomTom cartography. The media player allows you to listen to your smartphone's media library as well as streaming services. I use a bmw komV3 headset with a System 7 helmet. Adaptive lighting works well, without discomfort. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them. The season is open!

0418D059-7D34-4BCF-ABB1-8ABE4F525B6E.jpeg

5B2D896A-0268-4A53-A5D8-22A42D9462AE.jpeg

0DCD88F5-5B85-4AD5-8B10-2CE69B741C67.jpeg

• Like 6

Yes, there are a lot of emotions and all are good. ))

The display reads perfectly in bright sunlight. It is very convenient to control with the wheel and buttons, you can have the information you need at the moment. The USB in the right box is only for charging smartphones that do not support the wireless type, not for iPods, etc.

The four soft buttons do not change their purpose. Quickshift now works gently 1-2, 2-3 gear. And down gear, too.

• Like 1
RandyShields
On 4/10/2021 at 2:23 PM, Led said:

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them. The season is open!

IF you know, curious whether there is any ongoing Garmin connectivity/interaction -- how Basecamp routing translates to a Garmin GPS.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, RandyShields said:

IF you know, curious whether there is any ongoing Garmin connectivity/interaction -- how Basecamp routing translates to a Garmin GPS.  Thanks.

To use the Garmin routes with the new RT TFT dashboard, you have to install the BMW Connectivity app on your phone. Then you export your route from BaseCamp as a GPX file, email or transfer the route to your phone. Import the route into the BMW Connectivity app and open and run the route.

The phone will send instructions to your Bluetooth headset and display the route on your dashboard. Neither the dashboard (TFT slab) or the App are made by Garmin.

Following the BMW YouTube videos, the above is the way it is supposed to work.

Real world experience will proof it either correct or a bust. :lurk:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, RandyShields said:

Wow, sounds like a lot of steps. Thanks for responding. I wonder if this will turn into a Hayes-Brembo thing.

I hope not either. The steps are not really that much worse. You don't have to export from BaseCamp, you can just load any GPX file directly into the App and run the route.

I am sure there will be some bugs that need working out, but so far it is the most impressive phone Navigating App I have seen. And it is available in both IOS and Android versions, with free life time and worldwide maps. Of course you have to buy a premium edition 2 wheel motorcycle.

CruisinCruzan

The videos I’ve seen make it look fairly straightforward. I wanted to be able to continue to use BaseCamp and I can. Like every other GPS I have used will have to learn the “quirks”. I like not having to put a separate GPS on the bike.

I placed my order in December too but I have no idea when they are going to become available in US with radio and TPS.  It seems to be a shortage in chips and its also affection the auto industry too. 

2 hours ago, 92Merc said:

Sound like BMW may have changed the horns according to that video.

Yes, the new beep consists of two horns. It's very LOUD! In traffic, the box drivers wake up quickly when I use it. ))

Guessing I can swap out the horn on my '19 RT for those.  Hopefully, it is plug and play.  Won't know until it shows up on parts fiche or I see them in person.   I would be curious about the current draw and how it would affect the electrical set-up.