IGNORED

2021 1250RT changes?

kkm

At most the TFT could be raised an inch, I wonder if it has any means to change the angle relative to the rider. I bought my 2019 to hold me over until the R18 tour model came out but after seeing the costs and worse the weight of the base R18 I just laughed it off so I may consider the new RT but likely will wait till when BMW does 0% rates on it, they always do.

11 minutes ago, Jordansdad said:

Idk. For a high end bike I was expecting more. Maybe it’s me. 🤔🤔. I guess we’ll have to see what the masses say.  

What exactly more can you even add to a RT?

When it comes to touring bikes I am not sure what is left to add, Apple Car play (Did not check to see if BMW put that in there but it should).

Every time I look at alternatives I end up having to play the justification game, justifying greater weight and usually quite a bit, same with costs, and then justifying not having certain features.

2 hours ago, Jordansdad said:

I think the layout of the fairing and display could have been more fluid. 

J dad, you’re doing just fine! Now you need to keep reassuring yourself that BMW muffed up that dash layout for about a week straight, yeah a week should be enough. :spittake: 

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Agree with ya on the TFT placement, in the other photos it looks like an afterthought or a rushed job. But, here it looks rather fine. I think it will take a little time and then they’ll be no going back.

screenshot-build-my-bike-bmw-motorrad-co

I don't think it looks fine........should have been "melted" into the fairing for a more refined look.  It looks like "hey, we forgot to redesign the fairing, so let's just slap it on top"

Look at the goldwing dash, seemless, whereas the tft for bmw jumps out atcha.

2021 Honda Gold Wing dash

• Like 4

I kinda agree but, BMW also has a way of tricking my mind into thinking (with time) “that this is the most perfect mechanical creation ever conceived”. :spittake: Even the GS/A and its TFT, I was like who wants an iPad on a dirt machine? :dontknow: Now, they’re the cat’s meow.

Has the layout for the TFT on the GS/A changed any since it was first introduced?   

Thinking they may do a very sublte change on the RT dash, but who knows?

56 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I kinda agree but, BMW also has a way of tricking my mind into thinking (with time) “that this is the most perfect mechanical creation ever conceived”. :spittake: Even the GS/A and its TFT, I was like who wants an iPad on a dirt machine? :dontknow: Now, they’re the cat’s meow.

Ya, but like the AfricaTwin, the TFT on the GS/A, kinda works.  Both bikes being utilitarian, so clunky is good.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Has the layout for the TFT on the GS/A changed any since it was first introduced?   

There was earlier talk about a map screen in the GS/A TFT display but with the bikes release, they still have the traditional nav mount. 

With the new heated seat option, there is an internal screen to control the seat/handgrips temp. :dontknow:

• Thanks 1

I like it. A lot. But I will never move back to Apple so it really bugs me that Android Auto (AA) isn't supported (regardless of whether it's BMW or Google that's the roadblock - suspect Google). When AA comes to motorcycles, that's when I break into the 401(k) to upgrade. I can't function without working live traffic. Google has saved my ass so many times by warning me, accurately, about traffic ahead that I'll never give that up. Hell, that's the only reason I don't use a dedicated GPS.

8 hours ago, Motor32 said:

How soon until we start seeing this??? Looks like they stayed cheap and kept the Hayes calipers, UNBELIEVABLE !!!
Steve

rsz_1img_0197.jpg

I got my recall letter Friday.  So far, my bike ain't a leaking.

On 10/16/2020 at 11:26 PM, fourteenfour said:

What exactly more can you even add to a RT?

Well as you asked, for me: -

1. Reverse gear,
  2. Dashcams front and rear,
  3. More screen area not less. - Come on BMW, my 2020 RT has; a satnav screen, speedo, rev counter and a TFT, all viewable at the same time. The 2021 RT only has one screen which cannot display as much info similtainously or as clearly. OK I have not seen it for real yet and my unfavourable comments are only based on screen shot. But unfortunatley I think they wil be confirmed once I get to do a test ride on the new RT. The mothership seem to have followed the same route as car manufactures have here. We used to be able to change radio station  on our cars whilst also seeing the satnav or reversing camera or whatever, now with only one screen we get less info at one time.
  4. Full sized front and rear mudguards,
  5. Better foot and hand weather protection, almost every scooter from 50cc to 800cc hase better weather protection.
  6. Rear fog light.
  7. Standard fitment of the "police/authority" additonal crud protection.

I love the new LED adpative headlights (if not their looks!) and the adative cruise control, but the TFT is a real deal killer for me. I am sure it will get improved in a few yeas time an until then I will enjoy my 2020RT's dash!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, TJRL said:

Well as you asked, for me: -

1. Reverse gear,
  2. Dashcams front and rear,
  3. More screen area not less. - Come on BMW, my 2020 RT has; a satnav screen, speedo, rev counter and a TFT, all viewable at the same time. The 2021 RT only has one screen which cannot display as much info similtainously or as clearly. OK I have not seen it for real yet and my unfavourable comments are only based on screen shot. But unfortunatley I think they wil be confirmed once I get to do a test ride on the new RT. The mothership seem to have followed the same route as car manufactures have here. We used to be able to change radio station  on our cars whilst also seeing the satnav or reversing camera or whatever, now with only one screen we get less info at one time.
  4. Full sized front and rear mudguards,
  5. Better foot and hand weather protection, almost every scooter from 50cc to 800cc hase better weather protection.
  6. Rear fog light.
  7. Standard fitment of the "police/authority" additonal crud protection.

I love the new LED adpative headlights (if not their looks!) and the adative cruise control, but the TFT is a real deal killer for me. I am sure it will get improved in a few yeas time an until then I will enjoy my 2020RT's dash!

I second this. I could live without dash cams and reverse.  My main issue is the display. They could really loose the speakers as well.  Kind of obnoxious Imo.  Ironically, I was looking for hand guards today for my 2020 rt with no real luck. Recommendations welcome. I will also check other threads. TIA  

3 hours ago, Jordansdad said:

I was looking for hand guards today for my 2020 rt with no real luck. Recommendations welcome. I will also check other threads. TIA  

Check out Boxflyer’s vid at the 5:00 mark. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, AndyS said:

Interesting.

I tried fitting the GS/GSA handguards and mine crash badly into the fairing?!

It looks like he may have manufactured a bracket to reposition the guards. Can’t see how that would work but apparently it does. :thumbsup:

Edit..bet the bar risers that he has installed helps with the clearance issue you’re having.:5147:

35820D20-F6F9-4058-8875-C4EE4853EC6C.jpeg

Well all this talk of the dashboard got me thinking about one of the things that I have been most disappointed with on the Wethead and that is suspension. It would be great to discover that they have worked out how to make the suspension soft and plush like a tourer should be. Even find a way to make the tyres last longer.  I think I may have already expressed a desire for more adjustment on handlebar and footpeg position. You see, I have NEVER had an issue with the dashboard. It has generally told me the stuff I need to know. :)

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, AndyS said:

Well all this talk of the dashboard got me thinking about one of the things that I have been most disappointed with on the Wethead and that is suspension. It would be great to discover that they have worked out how to make the suspension soft and plush like a tourer should be. Even find a way to make the tyres last longer.  I think I may have already expressed a desire for more adjustment on handlebar and footpeg position. You see, I have NEVER had an issue with the dashboard. It has generally told me the stuff I need to know. :)

But it's a "sport" tourer, so I'd guess the suspension should have a wee bit of stiffness to it and less pushness.  Want a plush tourer, maybe the K1600.

• Like 1

Rougarou, you are missing my point.

The suspension on these bikes should be able to do sharp and stiff AND soft an plush. When you set the mode (for example) to soft, it should not only soften the throttle and related modes, it should also really supple up the suspension, which it doesn't. It may alter it a bit, but nowhere near as much as is should for a supple ride over poorly surfaced roads. The Ohlins on my 1150 could do it, so I know it can be done.

Well I found the Road setting to be a bit too bouncy so I keep the suspension in Dyna on 19...  now I do agree we really need adjustment for foot pegs at the minimum

40 minutes ago, AndyS said:

The suspension on these bikes should be able to do sharp and stiff AND soft an plush. When you set the mode (for example) to soft, it should not only soften the throttle and related modes, it should also really supple up the suspension, which it doesn't. It may alter it a bit, but nowhere near as much as is should for a supple ride over poorly surfaced roads. The Ohlins on my 1150 could do it, so I know it can be done.

Ya, I musta missed it.  I don't see, where a sport tour bike can go from sporty ride to "plush", it's a happy medium for what it is.  That'd be like I want RR performance sometimes and GTL comfort sometimes on one bike,......I don't think it'll happen.  The RT is what it is, a moderate performance with a level of comfort.

1 hour ago, AndyS said:

BMW list the RT as a touring bike, hence the RT. The sports tourer is the RS. This bike should be super compliant over rough surfaces.

And the Panamera is just a sedan.  

Just a few bits of name calling from a quick search.  

The 2014 model was selected as best sport-touring bike of the year by Cycle World

Motorcycle.com selected the R1200RT as its 2015 "Best Sport-Tourer".

BMW presents the R 1250 RT as a lightweight, dynamic sport-tourer.

Hi Rougarou,

I don't care about what the motorcycle press call it. What matters is what it is. BMW Motorrad label the bike as a tourer, that's good enough for me to take my stand.. That is why I bought the bike,  I love the sporting aspect of it, but I also want the touring side of it too.

13 minutes ago, AndyS said:

Hi Rougarou,

I don't care about what the motorcycle press call it. What matters is what it is. BMW Motorrad label the bike as a tourer, that's good enough for me to take my stand.. That is why I bought the bike,  I love the sporting aspect of it, but I also want the touring side of it too.

With that logic, the RS is nothing more than a "Sport" bike simply because it's under the "sport" type.  If you notice, BMW does not have a "sport touring" label, yet most publishing and most, I'd reckon, here would label the RT a "sport touring" bike,  no matter what BMWs semantics calls it.

The bike, offers the ability to "tour" at a leisurely ride and to sport ride, yet not fully being a touring bike and not being a sport bike.  It's built the same as a ST1300, Concourse and the FJR1300  (which even goes so far as supersport touring), all of which label themselves as "sport tourer".   They are all compromises in the middle of both sport riding and tour riding, neither should be expected to have the sport feel of a true sport bike nor true feel of a touring bike, it's a compromise bike, nothing more.:18:

Hi Rougarou, we could go back an too and bore others to death with our comments. You have different expectation of this bike than I do.

Like you, I have a long history of motorcycling. I know BMW can do better than this in the comfort department and still keep the sharp handling  when selected. Just as I know they should be able to do it with the seating and other ergonomics.

As I say, we are boring everyone else, so I will draw a line under this now from my point of view.

On 10/21/2020 at 7:17 AM, AndyS said:

Hey Andy - One thing that's worth considering. Factory suspensions are designed to work with a massive range of rider types and weights, including

• riders who ride a few hundred miles on a bike a year, to super high miles types
  • very aggressive riders to those riding like they're going to church on Sunday
  • Those who only ride one up and those who ride 2 up
  • For riders who weigh 100lbs to those who weigh #300 -
  • Any combination of the last two, with luggage
  • Those who only ride highway and those who take their bikes on gravel, unpaved roads and do water crossings :ohboy::whistle:

IMO, I think considering all of these (and more) factors, it's pretty amazing that bike manufacturers are able to design suspension that work as well as they do for sport-touring. But that does not mean the suspension couldn't be better, particularly for riders looking for a specific trait. But the fact is, most riders are happy with factory suspension.

Comparing a factory suspension to a custom suspension  - like you Ohlins - isn't a fair comparison.  With an aftermarket suspension, the suspension is tailored to the owners weight and riding style - so the suspension is sharply focused on the owners preferences - eliminating the super wide range of parameters that the factory must allow for when designing their suspensions.

• Like 1

Ok people, my big question is "When these bikes are going to be available for us in US? "  I'm getting ready to sell my 2015 and my Dealer told me that we should be looking more to the Spring time for their releases here. Can someone give us a better idea?  I can't be without a bike for too long.

Thanks,

Alex

Guessing Spring time but since I am headed for service next Saturday I will poke my dealer, they know they can sell me anything... well not a R18 but any real bike

I watched one of BMW's promo videos, and as part of a Q&A, one of the BMW Motorrad reps said to expect the bikes in most countries' dealerships by Spring.  He wasn't more specific than that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 4:25 PM, marcopolo said:

I watched one of BMW's promo videos, and as part of a Q&A, one of the BMW Motorrad reps said to expect the bikes in most countries' dealerships by Spring.  He wasn't more specific than that.

The BMW reps really cannot be specific. Why? COVID-19. There's talk about locking down most of Europe again, and this would almost certainly impact production. Again.

• 3 months later...

This video, which shows an "unboxing" of a 2021 1250RT, gives a much better perspective on the size of the new TFT screen.  Although the screen offers a lot of information, too me, it justifies my thoughts on how ugly and out of place this new screen is on the 2021s.  It is huge, and it looks like it was just thrown on to the dash area without a thought related to aesthetics.  A little integration into the dash area would have been nice.    

• Like 3

Looks like a glued on IPad. Fugly!  Like the new headlights. Same old goofy non adjustable handle bars. I like the looks of BMW bars but nothing fits them and non-adjustable. I think the integrated GPS on the early wet heads with round gauges are the best

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Looks like a glued on IPad. Fugly!  Like the new headlights. Same old goofy non adjustable handle bars. I like the looks of BMW bars but nothing fits them and non-adjustable. I think the integrated GPS on the early wet heads with round gauges are the best

Skywagon, BMW has a no charge option for tube bars see at build your own https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/tour/r1250rt.html

strataj.....thanks...I had no clue those were available on an RT.  I might look into changing mine  I like the looks of the standard bars but it sure would be nice to move them up, down, back, forward and to attach standard off the shelf products.

With that new display unit, the aftermarket could make a killing selling a display mold or something to incorporate it better. I just hope they used industrial Velcro. 
As always, the new RT model is ugly until everyone sees it in person and it is around for a few years, just like the 2005 and the WetHeads. 

• Like 1

I do like the new headlights.   I see they decided to paint-match the nose trim; looks good.   Not a big fan of that TFT display.  It has the appearance of being easliy removed.   I guess it was said "let's get it out on the market post-haste!"

2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Headlights are ok but here’s the big styling fail IMO. :dontknow: 

90A49BF3-E812-46B1-8426-A7E1B1738517.jpeg

I wonder what the bike looks like if you don't buy the option?

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

I sold my 2015 and ordered my 719 Model.  I'm hoping on get it around April.  Will see how it goes!  I was told the hold up is the Brakes issue.  No more Hayes like the one in the above video.  They told me the new bikes are going to come with Brembo Brakes. 

17 hours ago, Bernie said:

With that new display unit, the aftermarket could make a killing selling a display mold or something to incorporate it better. I just hope they used industrial Velcro. 
As always, the new RT model is ugly until everyone sees it in person and it is around for a few years, just like the 2005 and the WetHeads. 

Hi Bernie,  I  like your idea of an handsome aftermarket bezel!

As for the 2005  - 2013 RT's...they never changed in my eye. Still ugly after all these years. Whereas the 1100RT & 1150RT managed to have that 'look back and smile' feature from the get-go.

• Like 3
  • Smile 1

well the 2021s are official on the website, going to be interesting what to do since my 2019 still has the bad brakes.

Watching that unboxing video I do love the new nose so much better