IGNORED

2021 1250RT changes?

kkm

I wouldn't be surprised to see that the major difference for 2021 is Bold! New! Colors! 

I have the TFT dash on a 2020 GSA and am unimpressed. The connectivity features are irrelevant to the way I use my bike, the speedometer is digital and I prefer analog, there's actually less information available at a glance than with the older display (you can see more but you have to flip through menus to do so). There is no way to display KPH (it's been disabled in software) which will be an issue if Canada ever lets us back in. 

Cornering lights like on the Multistrada would be nice, though, and they'd be way cheaper to implement than the the complicated system on the K1600. Just putting a full LED headlight on would be a huge improvement, especially for owners with big hands! 

• Like 1
On 6/4/2020 at 6:56 AM, Hosstage said:

What to do with a phone when it starts raining? I'm not a fan of having my phone exposed to the elements, including the sun.

I ride daily with the iPhone in it's cradle (Ram x-mount), RT, GSA, previously on the Honda Shadow and the HP4.  Rain, hail, heat, glaring sun, I've yet to have any damage from the riding.  The case I have is just for drops, no additional rain/dust protections. 

Current phone is going on three'ish years old.

1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

I have a feeling that would not be my luck!

Luck doesn't exist.

2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

You sure bout that? ;) :grin:

Call me cynical but I’ve always felt I had to make my own Luck...:dontknow:

That wasn't luck, that was improper sight alignment/sight picture/trigger squeeze by the shooter :18:

• Like 1
On 7/2/2020 at 5:55 PM, Dann said:

The R250RT has a combination of Analog Speedo/rpm and TFT screen

Sorry but the RT doesn’t have the TFT screen

7 hours ago, gordiet said:

Sorry but the RT doesn’t have the TFT screen

The whole dash isn't a single large TFT display like on the GS but a portion of it does use TFT technology.

image.thumb.png.c77551438eb9be0c80bd6c03105ea031.png

• Like 3
On 7/6/2020 at 9:34 AM, TEWKS said:

You sure bout that? ;) :grin:

Call me cynical but I’ve always felt I had to make my own Luck...:dontknow:

Wow. That girl is one cool cucumber. If I had avoided death by 1/2" I wouldn't be smiling about it. More like i'd be sucking my thumb rocking back and forth in a fetal position calling for my mama. :3:

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello everybody! I didn't wait for the adaptive light to appear on the R1250RT. I installed the low-beam module from GT/GTL in my headlight. This is probably the world's first full adaptive headlight on RT. ))
All necessary information for the adaptive operation is transmitted via CAN bus. The headlight housing has space for mounting xenon modules and adaptive control. Of course, there was a lot of work, but I was very happy.

D9437FDA-274F-4F04-A442-100224B77C41.jpeg

4F77591F-AA86-414C-AC3F-68C32860F3B6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, Led said:

Hello everybody! I didn't wait for the adaptive light to appear on the R1250RT. I installed the low-beam module from GT/GTL in my headlight. This is probably the world's first full adaptive headlight on RT. ))
All necessary information for the adaptive operation is transmitted via CAN bus. The headlight housing has space for mounting xenon modules and adaptive control. Of course, there was a lot of work, but I was very happy.

D9437FDA-274F-4F04-A442-100224B77C41.jpeg

4F77591F-AA86-414C-AC3F-68C32860F3B6.jpeg

tell us how you did it in a new thread.  

On 5/21/2020 at 7:06 AM, kkm said:

So,does anyone have any spy info on ‘21 1250RT upgrades? Any time BMW has offered really good incentives it seems like change is coming soon. The current 1k + color matched top case is a pretty strong incentive. Of course,it may just be because of the CV-19 economy. I’ve seen new 2019’s advertised at 19990.00. As far as I can tell ‘20’s & 19’s are identical. 

From what I have heard, the '21 R1250RTs and K1600s will have a TFT gauge cluster very similar to the current Goldwing. They will be NO Android Auto or Apple car play, It be the same basic system currently on the GSs and some other models. 

Unless one is looking at the dash, the RTs and K1600s are unchanged. However, the RT will be getting the adaptive headlight from the K1600 as an option I believe. My source also said the current iteration (engine, styling) of the 1250RTs and GSs will be around for a couple more years. Why? 1250 is already Euro-5, power is considered adequate, and COVID-19 has likely pushed back major revisions at least a year. 

Finally, there is currently a stop-sale in place on bikes with the Hayes break calipers here in the states. I heard that straight from the horses mouth. Fluid seepage past the o-ring at the caliper piston. I doesn't seem to be general public knowledge yet as I cannot find anything on Google about it. Dealers also cannot get new bikes in largely because of the caliper issue. Parts are apparently not available. 

The source does not have knowledge of a R1300GS M, but did acknowledge hearing the rumors. Either BMW is keeping it very hush-hush or it's not real. Time will tell. 

None of this is backed by on-line evidence and could be totally wrong :)  I got my R1250RT Nov 2018 so I could care less. Except for the brake part. I could do without weeping brake calipers. 

33 minutes ago, ScottT said:

However, the RT will be getting the adaptive headlight from the K1600 as an option I believe.

IMHO, Adaptive light as on GTL will not be on the new RT. Reason one: the manufacturer must buy a patent (us patent 7244055) for use in a different model than the GTL/GT. The second reason: xenon lamp is an outdated technology, now led lighting is in trend. For example, the F900R/XR and S1000XR have an led head light with optional adaptive lighting. An additional light sector is activated when the bike is tilted by 7 degrees.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2020 at 6:57 PM, Dan M said:

I just made a fly and ride deal on a '20, going for it next Wednesday.   At one of the dealers I was shopping the sales manager said he thought they would run out of bikes this summer. Nothing is being shipped right now.  Even bikes that are at the port are just sitting.  He figured he would start seeing new stuff ('21's) around September. Didn't have any hard info on any updates to the RT.

How's the bike, Dan?

CruisinCruzan

The new adaptive led headlight on the GS and the fact that BMW has still not given details about the ‘21 RT has me hoping that we will finally see the updated light and perhaps  dash.

If one thinks the current RT headlight bulb is a pain to change out, then an adaptive headlight might add to that difficulty a tad bit more.  :dontknow:

On 10/3/2020 at 12:12 PM, Indy Dave said:

How's the bike, Dan?

I love it. My last RT was an '04, then I went to an '11 GS (still have it)  Both great bikes but the new motor is a vast improvement.  I've only got two thousand mikes on it so far.  Had to postpone two planned trips due to the covid restrictions.

Hi everybody!
On October 15, we expect the presentation of the updated 1250rt. Large 12” TFT display with carplay, led head light (possibly adaptive), no reverse gear, probably improved audio. No more information available for me )

• Like 1

My big concern with this Phone controlled method is I like to designate my roads when I'm on a trip.  I lay it all out via Garmin BaseCamp.  What turns, etc.  I don't usually blast down the Interstates.  I take the back roads I want to.  So hopefully they give you some way to do that via a PC/laptop.  I'd be OK with Google Maps or Earth exports.

Honestly...I think that TFT is butt ugly.  I much prefer the dash on the earlier wetheads.  The garmin integrated gps is funky to use already.  I sure hope this one is better, easier to use, and will allow use of Google maps, Waze, and has a far better easier to use blue tooth connection to integrate anything.  Basecamp to me is pish...I use it....and I hate it.

Whats really interesting is Garmin aviation products are super easy to use, route, change on the fly, etc.  Not sure why the bike stuff isn't.  Garmin aviation does lock out a few software providers I guess due to licensing/revenue issue.  They also have their own Ipad integration and it works great.  I'm a big fan of their aviation....not so much on their earthbound products including marine.

1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Whats really interesting is Garmin aviation products are super easy to use, route, change on the fly, etc.  Not sure why the bike stuff isn't.  Garmin aviation does lock out a few software providers I guess due to licensing/revenue issue.  They also have their own Ipad integration and it works great.  I'm a big fan of their aviation....not so much on their earthbound products including marine.

FWIW, the current BMW TFT/Connected app was developed with TomTom, not Garmin.  I presume any further development will be through TomTom as well, so maybe there is reason to hope for improvements.

3 hours ago, 92Merc said:

My big concern with this Phone controlled method is I like to designate my roads when I'm on a trip.  I lay it all out via Garmin BaseCamp.  What turns, etc.  I don't usually blast down the Interstates.  I take the back roads I want to.  So hopefully they give you some way to do that via a PC/laptop.  I'd be OK with Google Maps or Earth exports.

BMW Motorrad Connected app supports gpx import and exports. You also get free maps downloads for off-line use.

BTW I'm not sold on using a cell phone to guide me. 

CruisinCruzan

I like the changes, including the TFT. If I can easily import my trips I built on the computer I would prefer not having a separate GPS. It would also be nice to have enough light to ditch my Clearwaters. I know it wont make as much light but as long as the light is effectively placed on the road (a significant portion of light from my Clearwaters is not where I need it) I wouldn’t mind not having the lights hanging off the bike. I listen to music, podcasts, etc. through Big Ears ear monitors so speakers are unimportant (would prefer they be storage areas) but CarPlay would make it convenient for me. More to come, so we shall see but at this point I plan on getting one this spring.

I really like the new styling with the front headlight, but, I am really struggling with the TFT.  Although I have been excited about seeing a TFT on the RT, I thought they could have incorporated it better into the dash instead of having it just plopped down in between the speakers.  Maybe I will have a different opinion when I see it in person or look at some better pictures or videos.  But overall, I like it.  

• Thanks 1

I believe the BMW Motorrad Connected App lets you use computer (BaseCamp) created GPX files. And BMW gives you free map downloads.

BMW has incorporated the GPS and Smartphone into the dashboard. No more worries about Garmin and the map updates. Or where to mount the phone. 

VW and several other car companies have done the same thing on their vehicles and I think the Honda Gold Wing and some Indian models have this feature.

The ACC will be something that will take some time to get used to, but I think the new Ducati Multistrada will have similar feature.

Ya, ya, ya, different bike, but the AfricaTwin

CONVENIENCE

One would think that a high end German bike would have this technology.

Seems like all positive upgrades. I would’ve liked the ability to use other nav programs, but maybe there’ll be a way to accomplish that. For me, the big issue remains the fact that the foot peg position on my ‘14 kills my aging knees. I’ve been considering a GS for that reason.

The navigation app is the same for the GS and the RT, if you get the bike with the TFT. There are other computer based navigation programs then BaseCamp. This one is all online and will create routes on different maps (Google, MapsMe etc). It comes in different languages also. 
Kurviger.de

I am quite willing to trade my 2019 just for the improved lighting, however I am also enthusiastic for the new dash with integrated navigation.  Now some of my lack of resistance to the dash comes from driving a Tesla 3

I have different questions. Who makes the brakes? The fellow from BMW said in the YouTube video that the brakes are linked regardless of what lever you use? Are we returning to the linked power brakes from the LT’s? It must be powered front and rear brakes to work with the new ACC system. 

What size is the phone box? Does it also charge Android phones?

And what version is the Bluetooth?

Do you have to remove the TFT for security?

4 hours ago, Ron-M said:

I really like the new styling with the front headlight, but, I am really struggling with the TFT.  Although I have been excited about seeing a TFT on the RT, I thought they could have incorporated it better into the dash instead of having it just plopped down in between the speakers.  Maybe I will have a different opinion when I see it in person or look at some better pictures or videos.  But overall, I like it.  

I am with you here.  BMW Cars have beautiful TFT dashes. This one looks like it belongs on the GSA as an upgrade.  Maybe in a few years we will see a fully integrated TFT.   For now nothing about this iteration screams “Time to upgrade.” to me.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Carlisja said:

I am with you here.  BMW Cars have beautiful TFT dashes. This one looks like it belongs on the GSA as an upgrade.  Maybe in a few years we will see a fully integrated TFT.   For now nothing about this iteration screams “Time to upgrade.” to me.

Agreed.

I like the new headlamp look but not so much that I'm disappointed with my 2020.

I agree with the "not enough to get rid of my current shift cam (2019)" sentiment.   I did not see anything that resembled Mars Red Metallic.  The blue looks nice, though.  I did see that BMW decided to paint-match the nose trim.

The headlights are a nice touch, but they are not enough to convince me to upgrade, yet.

Dynamic Cruise Control?  Meh.  Not sure I feel a need to have that feature.  It was nice on a car, but on my RT,  my "Dynamic Cruise Control" is programmed to maintain speed whilst I flip the signal indicator, push the handlebar, and romp on the throttle.  :revit:  I have yet to use the cruise control on a down-grade that was so steep that I needed that MSR.  Still a cool technology.

LED headlights all around?  That would be a plus.

I still have warranty until 01/22, so we shall see.  When I mean "we," I mean Laura.   :yes:

One good question Bernie addressed was the removal of the TFT for security.  My first thought when seeing the TFT was just that......It almost seems ripe for someone to just walk by and try to rip the TFT off the bike.  And William, I agree, DCC....Meh.  But I do like the new front end styling, but not enough to upgrade...............I think...........:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

Just bought a new 2020 RT premium.  Was gonna hold off because I thought the new ones would have a much better display. Gotta say I am glad I didn’t wait. Looks like they ran out of time figuring out where to put it and just fit it in where they could. It’s a no for me.  It also looks like less wind and rain protection where the body is concerned as well. Is it a sport touring bike or a sport bike?  Looks like it has an identity problem. Back to the drawing board guys...

Agree with ya on the TFT placement, in the other photos it looks like an afterthought or a rushed job. But, here it looks rather fine. I think it will take a little time and then they’ll be no going back.

screenshot-build-my-bike-bmw-motorrad-co