IGNORED

2021 1250RT changes?

kkm

So,does anyone have any spy info on ‘21 1250RT upgrades? Any time BMW has offered really good incentives it seems like change is coming soon. The current 1k + color matched top case is a pretty strong incentive. Of course,it may just be because of the CV-19 economy. I’ve seen new 2019’s advertised at 19990.00. As far as I can tell ‘20’s & 19’s are identical. 

1 hour ago, kkm said:

So,does anyone have any spy info on ‘21 1250RT upgrades? Any time BMW has offered really good incentives it seems like change is coming soon. The current 1k + color matched top case is a pretty strong incentive. Of course,it may just be because of the CV-19 economy. I’ve seen new 2019’s advertised at 19990.00. As far as I can tell ‘20’s & 19’s are identical. 

In my opinion if the 2021 is release it will have a new look.  It will be 7 years, history says it's time to change.  

Let's hope for good LED headlights, usable underseat/tailpiece/glovebox storage, an air vent for hot days, and a decent radio with Android Auto so we can quit buying the ridiculously overpriced Navigator.  

I will not be holding my breath...

• Like 3

The K 1600 GT/L has this and the current RT doesn't. I'm not a big night rider but the adaptive headlight on the K bikes are no joke, they work!  It'd be a nice option offered on the newest RT. :thumbsup: I believe it has proven itself reliable, still the complexity and replacement costs may be a concern out of warrantee. :dontknow:

• Like 1

The RT needs a major refresh, if nothing else. It's current look hasn't changed much. As noted, it's info/dash tech is pretty old school by current standards. The RT has generally been the last in the family to get the newer amenities that its siblings get to run all over the world with. If they add adaptive lights, no doubt that will require a front nose redesign - something the current RT needs badly, IMO.

• Like 2

When Darla lights are mounted on the forks, they function the same as adaptive headlights.  

Sometime last year (after I bought my 1250 RT,) I read online that the model '21 RT will be a major update.  It was on the internet.......

Now we have the issue with lockdown and all that, which makes me wonder how that will affect any new models going forward.  It is plausible  that the upgrade is in the works, but may be delayed for the release.  

Will be waiting on the new M1300RT.  :bike:

Colorado Jeff
53 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Now we have the issue with lockdown and all that, which makes me wonder how that will affect any new models going forward.  It is plausible  that the upgrade is in the works, but may be delayed for the release.  

I worked in product management for a few years, highly unlikely that they'd stop working on next models.  The target market - that's us - will demand an update very soon and they better be ready to respond to meet expectations.  Many of us won't wait until 2023 for an update.  We'll look for other models, perhaps other brands, and they can't meet their numbers if they drive away customers, the brand image will take another hit, etc..

Just one guys opinion.

• Thanks 1

I can’t speak to adaptive on motorcycle but hate them on wife’s car. They halve arse light up the turn and you lose forward visibility

The old Cadillacs used to have a sidelight that would turn on when the turn signal was activated - sending light in the direction of the turn. That seemed to be effective. I can remember at night time, when dropping somebody off in the darkness of Michigan Summers, my grandfather turning on the turn signal on the side of the car the person was exiting, and it did a nice job of the lighting up the side area. 

Perhaps what's needed is a similar type feature, with a separate beam on the left and right side that illuminated when turning. This way the forward light would remain undisturbed, but additional lighting would be added to the direction one was going.

Just now, Indy Dave said:

The old Cadillacs used to have a sidelight that would turn on when the turn signal was activated - sending light in the direction of the turn. That seemed to be effective. I can remember at night time, when dropping somebody off in the darkness of Michigan Summers, my grandfather turning on the turn signal on the side of the car the person was exiting, and it did a nice job of the lighting up the side area. 

Perhaps what's needed is a similar type feature, with a separate beam on the left and right side that illuminated when turning. This way the forward light would remain undisturbed, but additional lighting would be added to the direction one was going.

My Grand Marquis has the same side light works great.  Yeah, ok, I have a Grand Marquis, lots of cool points lost with that...Do a bunch of traveling for work and the Ford Panther platform is great for piling on the miles without a fuss.  Still, its a grandpa car according to the kids but they wont hesitate to borrow it for road trips.  

The adaptive headlight is perfect on the K1600.  Hell, the front headlight is by far the best headlight I've ever had on a motorcycle.    I believe the function is effected by the speed of the motorcycle but I might be mistaken.  Just enough movement to illuminate the turn without loosing the front illumination.  It would be a great addition to the RT.      

• Like 2

How about just simply updating the Bluetooth to a version from this century. By the way, BMW rotary phones are ancient history. 
I can live with the instruments, but I shouldn’t have to cut into the speaker wires to be able to get a stereo signal to my Bluetooth headset. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

Perhaps what's needed is a similar type feature, with a separate beam on the left and right side that illuminated when turning. 

Dang, Honda beat you to it! :grin:

2 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Ducati Multistrada and KTM Super Duke  GT are using cornering lights. 

7 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Yeah, ok, I have a Grand Marquis, lots of cool points lost with that...

Not in my eyes, I dig the Marquis and Crown Vics

• Like 1
6 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Dang, Honda beat you to it! :grin:

And, it will have Apple Car Play on the screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Waze!!!!!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bud said:

You still meet the nicest people on a Honda.:bike:

Yup you do, and if you're my brother you steal their glory riding a Kawasaki on the racetrack. :grin:

image.jpeg

After agreeing with that, have you ever tried to coax a wave out of a Goldwing rider? :5146:

• Like 2
Dave_in_TX
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Yup you do, and if you're my brother you steal their glory riding a Kawasaki on the racetrack. :grin:

image.jpeg

After agreeing with that, have you ever tried to coax a wave out of a Goldwing rider? :5146:

They wave back to me.

• Like 1

Funny comment on the Goldwing rider! Try waving to them from an apehanger Harley, you'd think their mother was just insulted with the glare you get. They also seem to have the highest percentage of riders wearing shorts and sandals. Must be the safest bikes on the road. I'm kind of jealous!

No offense to those here on Goldwings...

• Haha 1

I’ve noticed more than a few Goldwing riders don’t wave back, second only to Harley riders of course. No offense to either group, have just accepted it as some kind of quirky phenomenon like GSA’s at a Starbucks.

Wouldn’t look for CarPlay on RT’s anytime soon, think they’re still stung by the hostility that greeted them trying to charge a yearly $80 subscribers fee on 2019 model cars (which they’ve now rescinded).  

My Tahoe has Carplay.  I don't like it and turned it off.  The text feature on my Tahoe has always worked without carplay.  I found out not too long ago text no longer works unless you have carplay turned on.  I turned it on and sure enough text works again.  I still hate it and turned it off.  It wasn't like I was texting while driving.  With text on you can have it read incoming and you can verbally answer back without ever looking down.  Not sure how GM allowed that change to happen for existing clients but they did....

So I guess BMW should install some Gold Wing windshield or logo on the 2021 RT and everyone would be happy?

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Come on.  Can't we all just get along?  :dontknow:

:4322:

PS: Most riders in Florida will not greet either, especially close to bigger towns or if they are in a group, regardless of make or race.

• Like 1
Dave_in_TX
11 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Funny comment on the Goldwing rider! Try waving to them from an apehanger Harley, you'd think their mother was just insulted with the glare you get. They also seem to have the highest percentage of riders wearing shorts and sandals. Must be the safest bikes on the road. I'm kind of jealous!

No offense to those here on Goldwings...

Here in Texas it's the harleys riders with the highest percentage of shorts and sandals.

I would be happy if they launch a new dashboard like the GS models.  Or something similar with map integrated.  

If everyone would realize that when you wave at another biker you’re actually waving at the bike not the rider. Two wheels is two wheels...oh, except mopeds. 

• Like 2
On 5/27/2020 at 7:14 AM, Rinkydink said:

If everyone would realize that when you wave at another biker you’re actually waving at the bike not the rider. Two wheels is two wheels...oh, except mopeds. 

"Except mopeds" - Why? We all have to start somewhere!!

I rather like the French system where 14 year olds can drive mopeds, so that almost all car drivers have biking experience and look out for bikers better than over here.. 

1 hour ago, TJRL said:

"Except mopeds" - Why? We all have to start somewhere!!

I rather like the French system where 14 year olds can drive mopeds, so that almost all car drivers have biking experience and look out for bikers better than over here.. 

Merely tongue in cheek my friend. Hell, today’s mopeds are basically small motorcycles. 

I often wave to moped riders, it surprises the hell out of them, I often get a big grin from them. Just trying to encourage them to stick with the sport, that they are part of a bigger group.

• Like 2

Here in S. Illinois the the hear of the Midwurst, I've noticed that when the weather gets worse, there are still Harley riders riding. Not so much other brands, including Beemers. Just an observation, not a statement.

I wave at everyone. Who cares if they don't wave back. But if I see an ADV sticker on the front they get the "salute". :thumbsup:

fourteenfour
On 5/26/2020 at 11:49 PM, Dan M said:

Anybody know when they typically introduce the new models? 

Introducing doesn't seem to have much to do with when they become available, the R18 was introduced a month ago and no sign of a delivery date in dealers yet.

I am curious the M1300 line pans out.

• Like 2

I think the production line change for the RT is usually around August, and then the new bikes begin to reach the dealer late September-ish.  The lack of news hype and "spy" shots make me think the changes for 2021 will be mostly different paint colors. The R1250RT is only two years old, so it is a bit early to expect major changes.

fourteenfour
On 5/26/2020 at 10:35 PM, alexp said:

I would be happy if they launch a new dashboard like the GS models.  Or something similar with map integrated.  

I was very disappointed to see that they do not act as navigation and still require the Garmin unit which on the RT is not secure

1 minute ago, fourteenfour said:

I was very disappointed to see that they do not act as navigation and still require the Garmin unit which on the RT is not secure

Hmm. In all the years I have been following the RT, I have never heard of a problem with the SatNav disappearing. 

1 hour ago, AndyS said:

Hmm. In all the years I have been following the RT, I have never heard of a problem with the SatNav disappearing. 

I’ve often thought the same thing, it seems like a hot one would have a tough time finding a buyer. Other than us old fogies, it’s a smart phone world.

John Bentall

My wife lost/dropped her iPhone while abroad in Europe (fortunately it was turned it to the police). Now if had been my iPhone we would have lost all our Navigation as well. I am not comfortable with that. 

What to do with a phone when it starts raining? I'm not a fan of having my phone exposed to the elements, including the sun.

Anyhow, the OP question was about changes. I don't think there will be (m)any. The 1250 is to new surely, for a major revamp.

szurszewski
4 hours ago, Hosstage said:

What to do with a phone when it starts raining? I'm not a fan of having my phone exposed to the elements, including the sun.

Rain is not a problem for most phones now as many are waterproof - certainly the new/popular models; I do unplug mine from power if it's really raining, but if you wanted to be ready for that you could just use an inductive charging cradle. Sun, though, does cause me problems sometimes (this is also true in the car when I have a phone mounted up on the dash) w/overheating. 

On 6/1/2020 at 9:57 AM, fourteenfour said:

Introducing doesn't seem to have much to do with when they become available, the R18 was introduced a month ago and no sign of a delivery date in dealers yet.

I am curious the M1300 line pans out.

I just made a fly and ride deal on a '20, going for it next Wednesday.   At one of the dealers I was shopping the sales manager said he thought they would run out of bikes this summer. Nothing is being shipped right now.  Even bikes that are at the port are just sitting.  He figured he would start seeing new stuff ('21's) around September. Didn't have any hard info on any updates to the RT.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Little_Brit
On 5/21/2020 at 6:45 PM, Rob Nowell said:

and a locking Nav...how about a helmet lock?

How about a built in sat-nav to the TFT screen and no worry about add on bits at all?

On 5/21/2020 at 12:20 PM, gordiet said:

TFT screen for sure I think.

The R250RT has a combination of Analog Speedo/rpm and TFT screen

• Like 1