IGNORED

Sena 50 series

Rockosmith

Rockosmith

Anyone tried the newest Sena 50 S or R yet.  With the recently announced trade in program on 30K, 20S, and 20S Evo, the itch to try something new was too great to ignore.   Hope to have it early next week.

• Like 2

Well I used my Sena 50S last week for the first time. I/we (Ashley/#wahorn) bought a dual pack and we rode on Saturday and used the Mesh feature the first time. We had another #dduelin connected with Bluetooth using his Sena 20S. It was a nice to have no strange noises from the units. No popping or other distorting sounds. 
The range is a fantasy, we where able to stay connected for almost a mile in a straight line before losing the connections. But as soon as we closed up it reconnects with no sounds or pops. 
The battery life using Mesh and Bluetooth is disappointing, maybe 5-6 hours of continuous chatter. We received both lots of alerts that the batteries where getting low, so there would have been plenty of time and opportunities to stop and connect a cable to recharge the batteries. The 20S would give a signal and die almost immediately. 
One thing I noticed is that it connects to both my phone and my Sena SM10 a lot faster then my Sena 20S. 
The new style wheel is taking some time to get used to. 
You may also want to update your firmware first, they had 2 updates last week. 

Edited by Bernie
Spelling
  • Like 4

I was considering the 50S as it reads like a really good unit. I was planning to take advantage of the trade-in rebate of two 30Ks. I was going to upgrade because one of my 30Ks, the one that was replaced last October, has already failed again. Sena is going to take the next few weeks to decide if they will replace it because I'm just over the cusp of a 6 month warrantee of a replacement unit. I didn't quite get 2 years from the purchase of my original 30K.   

The 50S may indeed be a great unit. It has some great features, but after being an early adopter of most of Sena's main BT intercom units (SMH-10, 20S, 30K), and having owned 9 Sena units since 2012 (3 of those being in-warrantee replacements for failed units and 3 other units failing a year out of warrantee) I decided to jump ship, despite the 50S really calling me.  I hope it is indeed all it's cracked up to be. 

I just pulled the trigger on the Cardo Packtalk Bold Duo.  I'll write a review of that after I've had a chance to use it in group environment. 

• Like 2
greiffster

Mmmm. Food for thought. I’m just about to pull the trigger on the 50S and finally update the old 10s. 

2 minutes ago, TyTass said:

I was considering the 50S as it reads like a really good unit. I was planning to take advantage of the trade-in rebate of two 30Ks. I was going to upgrade because one of my 30Ks, the one that was replaced last October, has already failed again. Sena is going to take the next few weeks to decide if they will replace it because I'm just over the cusp of a 6 month warrantee of a replacement unit. I didn't quite get 2 years from the purchase of my original 30K.   

The 50S may indeed be a great unit. It has some great features, but after being an early adopter of most of Sena's main BT intercom units (SMH-10, 20S, 30K), and having owned 9 Sena units since 2012 (3 of those being in-warrantee replacements for failed units and 3 other units failing a year out of warrantee) I decided to jump ship, despite the 50S really calling me.  I hope it is indeed all it's cracked up to be. 

I just pulled the trigger on the Cardo Packtalk Bold Duo.  I'll write a review of that after I've had a chance to use it in group environment. 

I can fully understand your position and I have no intentions of telling To recommending to anyone to buy a Sena or a Cardo.

I also do not use these units the way most people like to use them. I only pair them with the WetHead RT through a Bluetooth dongle to receive my GPS/Music & Radar Detector Signals. BMW decided to wire internally the GPS sound output into the on-board stereo system. That is why the Nav6 can not play music or receive phone calls when mounted in the factory cradle of a WetHead RT. It is a different story with other WetHeads.

And I also pair direct to my iPhone 7 for phone calls only. I don’t do Spotify, Pandora or ITunes or other sources of music or entertainment (books on tape or Pod casts).

The only reason I am sticking with Sena, is because a few of the local guys (NE-FL Rednecks) have Sena units, otherwise I could care less. The other reason I stuck with Sena is because Cardo will not give me a straight answer about being able to pair my Bluetooth dongle with their Packtalk Bold, and I don’t want to experiment around.

As for the 30K, Sena told me upfront that it will not do the multitasking I needed and which the 20S did. That is why I never upgraded to the 30K.

What has been nice side effect is that the ONE time I used Mesh, it was a clear and silent connection. No constant static or popping sounds, like with Bluetooth on the Sena 20S units. Now that was with a group of 2, who knows what will happen when there are more units connected.

Just my 0.01 cents worth. :)

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, greiffster said:

Mmmm. Food for thought. I’m just about to pull the trigger on the 50S and finally update the old 10s. 

The Cardo has a longer and maybe better track record, as the 50S units have only been released a few weeks ago.

Besides most board members are switching, which could be a benefit for START/FART/UnRally.

Just saying.

• Like 1
Rockosmith
9 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Report back! :thumbsup:

Will do.  Currently happy with my 20S Evo so I hope this truly is an upgrade.

• Like 3

I just ordered a dual pack of the Sena 50S.  I'm using a Sena 10S now, and also have a second helmet (Neotec II) with a Sena SRL.  I've also had earlier iterations of Sena SMH-10s.  I considered switching to the Cardo Pactalk Bold JBL, but in the end decided to stay with what I knew, and what others I ride with use.  I have no illusions about Sena, warts and all, but when I checked out Cardo on ADVRider, I saw a fair number of folk who aren't satisfied with them either, or with  Cardo's customer service.  And, as we all know, you can easily find lots of critics of Sena, especially of their first attempt at mesh technology (the 30K).  There is no magic solution.  I bought from Bernie's source, a Sena dealer in California who had a very attractive price.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Hey Bernie....how were the speakers...any better than the 20's

Sorry David, I don't know personally, I use earplug speakers.

Ashley said that his speakers where an improvement compared to the 3 year old speakers from the 20S.

The 50 series app lets you adjust the volume level for each function separately. So with a little patience, you should be able to balance out the volume of each function and be able to blend the music or GPS instructions into the Mesh Intercom use.

Thanks....tell me how you connect your earplug speakers.  I have a pair of ER 6i's I love, but when I plug them into the 20s EVO they don't work.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, Skywagon said:

Thanks....tell me how you connect your earplug speakers.  I have a pair of ER 6i's I love, but when I plug them into the 20s EVO they don't work.  Thanks.

I plug my cable for the ear plug speakers, which i think is a normal 1/8" stereo plug into a straight adapter. This adapter I plug into the front plug of the cradle on either my 20S or my 50S. The reason I use this adapter, is because my ear plug cable has a 90 degree plug and the cradle housing does not let the plug be fully inserted.

I purchased a 3 pack of these adapters from Amazon a few years back.

FosPower (3 Pack) 3.5mm (1/8") Male to Female Stereo Audio Headphone Jack Adapter [Ultra-Slim Design | 4-Conductor TRRS | 24K Gold Plated Connector] for Phones, Tablets, Headphones & Card Readers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016E5PEXC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Skywagon said:

They should work in your 20S, they did in mine. Just make sure that they are plugged in all the way. Otherwise you may have a defective unit. 

There is a very specific way to pair the rt, phone and sena 20s. I can play the bikes system, GPS or music from the phone. I don't use the intercom.

On 5/21/2020 at 10:28 PM, Bernie said:

I plug my cable for the ear plug speakers, which i think is a normal 1/8" stereo plug into a straight adapter. This adapter I plug into the front plug of the cradle on either my 20S or my 50S. The reason I use this adapter, is because my ear plug cable has a 90 degree plug and the cradle housing does not let the plug be fully inserted.

I purchased a 3 pack of these adapters from Amazon a few years back.

FosPower (3 Pack) 3.5mm (1/8") Male to Female Stereo Audio Headphone Jack Adapter [Ultra-Slim Design | 4-Conductor TRRS | 24K Gold Plated Connector] for Phones, Tablets, Headphones & Card Readers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016E5PEXC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An unsaid advantage to Bernie's solution is that with these jack adapters - at least for someone like me :whistle: - is that if you get you helmet on and are all set to go . . . only to realize you forgot to plug in your earbuds! :ohboy: Trying to plug into the recessed jack on the Sena is near impossible with the helmet on. I'd resorted to a 3 inch jack extension to solve this issue, but with the wind buffeting, the 3 inch cables don't last long before developing a short. This would solve both issues! :thumbsup:

Matts_12GS

I'm following this because I need to move on either updating my 30Ks in a month, or I need to deal with them while all the cool kids are using something else. 

@TyTass made a compelling argument to me, and had me considering the packtalk set. I was an early adopter of the cardo bluetooth back in the 2004-2005 era and hated them. 

After listening to @RightSpin tell his tale of woe in setting up the Packtalk, I'm being extra careful.

terryofperry

For every person criticizing one and posting the virtues of another, there is a person doing the opposite. My Cardo has not missed a beat in 7 years and they have responded quickly on any questions I have asked. I just upgraded to the Packtalk with no issues setting it up. There will be a learning curve going from Sena to Cardo or from Cardo to Sena, they do things a bit different, neither is perfect, the nature of Bluetooth.

Terry

• Like 6
On 5/27/2020 at 10:41 AM, terryofperry said:

For every person criticizing one and posting the virtues of another, there is a person doing the opposite. My Cardo has not missed a beat in 7 years and they have responded quickly on any questions I have asked. I just upgraded to the Packtalk with no issues setting it up. There will be a learning curve going from Sena to Cardo or from Cardo to Sena, they do things a bit different, neither is perfect, the nature of Bluetooth.

Terry

Agreed. Like everyone, I have my own favorites (BMW is one that comes to mind), but I don't believe one iota in brand loyalty on the part of the consumer.  I want whatever works for me. 

I'm happy that others haven't experienced the problems I have with multiple Sena units.  I can't say I'm completely unhappy with Sena service ... just yesterday, the Sena Warrantee department agreed to replace my replacement 30K though it was about 10 days beyond the 6-month warrantee given for a refurbished replacement. So good on them. However, I think it significant that this is my 2nd replacement within the original 2 year warrantee, both having the same problem; Firmware vapor lock. Sena has all but admitted openly they have had a variety problems with the 30Ks, and are striving to get users over to the 50S/R ASAP.   As I've said, I hope the 50 series performs better for all who buy them.

And as far as the Packtalk Bold, what a complete cinch to set up, though unit registration in their "Community" webpage is a bit dumb, but that is going away soon. So far testing between two units in the house has been stupid easy. This weekend I hope to put the units to a real test.  

• Like 2

Bluetooth headsets are like tires and motor oil. No-one has the same experiences.

Back when the 30K unit was new, the tech team at Sena told me that the 30K would not do what I wanted to do and that I better stay with my 20S. 

• Like 1

:stir:

My Sena 50S arrived today and updated without out issue. I must say, I'm tempering my enthusiasm and I was tempted by the Cardo. @terryofperry has been deep in the Cardo camp and has made a compelling case - as have others. While I don't believe that either the Cardo or the Sena will be without their issues - in the end it comes down to what the folks you ride with most are using.

In my case - that means a very innocent and loose discussion about Bluetooth coms suddenly went sideways when @Bernie :4296:confessed that he went with the 50S and The Tipping Point was reached. What's even more remarkable is that I had stopped using my Sena 20s all together and had reverted back to hard wires and a preamp, taking after Kinsley. And I've been quite happy with this setup. EXCEPT - the safety issue.

So in typical fashion, The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ will be Bumbling along (like always) with a divided house. :5590:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Indy Dave, glad to hear it hasn't been any trouble getting the 50S out of the shipping container.

:4322:

Just heard from @wahorn, he can pair his 50S to his GPS (Zumo 595) with no problems. But he can only pair the iPhone to the GPS. He can play his music, listen to instructions and receive phone calls through the GPS. But he can't pair the Sena 50S to the phone and the GPS at the same time.

This is what I used to have with the 20S also. So no new information or changes there.

• Like 1

The 50s music audio quality and or helmet speakers are vastly improved over the 20s. :18:

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Bernie said:

@Indy Dave, glad to hear it hasn't been any trouble getting the 50S out of the shipping container.

:4322:

Just heard from @wahorn, he can pair his 50S to his GPS (Zumo 595) with no problems. But he can only pair the iPhone to the GPS. He can play his music, listen to instructions and receive phone calls through the GPS. But he can't pair the Sena 50S to the phone and the GPS at the same time.

This is what I used to have with the 20S also. So no new information or changes there.

I'm not sure I follow? What functions is he missing or looking for?

I've paired the 50s to my phone and GPS and they remain pair concurrently. In my setup - I'm playing audio through my phone (via the Sena 50s) and my GPS is pared as a GPS and I'm making and receiving calls through the GPS.

Unit Pairing:

GPS (Zumo 595): paired to Android Phone and Sena

Android: Paired to Sena and GPS

Sena: Paired to Android Phone and GPS (using the GPS pairing sequence).

• Like 1

I'll have to try my pairing again, like Indy Dave's.  I have my 50S paired to my iPhone and to my Nav VI GPS (pairing it as a GPS, as per Sena's User Guide).  However, if I then pair my iPhone to the Nav VI, in order to use the Garmin SmartLink App for weather radar and traffic, it screws up the phone/Sena pairing, such that I can't access Siri, nor does the Sena 50S utility app on the phone work.

Matts_12GS
15 minutes ago, marcopolo said:

I'll have to try my pairing again, like Indy Dave's.  I have my 50S paired to my iPhone and to my Nav VI GPS (pairing it as a GPS, as per Sena's User Guide). 

Are you on a GS or RT?  TFT?

I have my iPhone X paired to my nav6

I have my Sena (30k currently) paired to the nav 6 also.  

Music from the phone.

Calls through GPS.

I can hear music, routing instructions and sometimes have issues with calls.  

I pair headset to GPS then phone to GPS.

I'm hoping to have better multitasking with the 50

21 hours ago, Bernie said:

But he can only pair the iPhone to the GPS.

I just installed my 50S late yesterday and got both iPhone and Nav6 paired without a hitch.  Paired the iPhone 1st, then (using the info from the owner's manual, not the quick start guide) paired the Nav6 as "GPS pairing" instructions recommend.   Both phone and gps confirmed they were connected, and I'll make sure both work during a ride today.

UPDATE:  both worked as usual today.  Intercom pairing tomorrow.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Matts_12GS said:

Are you on a GS or RT?  TFT?

I have my iPhone X paired to my nav6

I have my Sena (30k currently) paired to the nav 6 also.  

Music from the phone.

Calls through GPS.

I can hear music, routing instructions and sometimes have issues with calls.  

I pair headset to GPS then phone to GPS.

I'm hoping to have better multitasking with the 50

I'm on a 2015 GSA, so no TFT.  I have an iPhone X and a Nav VI.  I switched from a Nav V to a VI, because I want to use the VI as a "hub", but it never seemed to work as advertised, so I gave up trying.

• Like 1
Matts_12GS

My 2013 GS is similar.  I haven't been happy with the phone operation, although, everything else has been great.   

13 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

I'm not sure I follow? What functions is he missing or looking for?

I've paired the 50s to my phone and GPS and they remain pair concurrently. In my setup - I'm playing audio through my phone (via the Sena 50s) and my GPS is pared as a GPS and I'm making and receiving calls through the GPS.

Unit Pairing:

GPS (Zumo 595): paired to Android Phone and Sena

Android: Paired to Sena and GPS

Sena: Paired to Android Phone and GPS (using the GPS pairing sequence).

What Ashley found out today is that he had HD Intercom turned on, which will turn of Multitasking.

After turning on Multitasking, he was able to have music, music control of the phone and GPS directions during a Mesh/Bluetooth Intercom session.

He uses a Zumo 590/595 and can control his iPhones music apps through the GPS screen.

@marcopolo,it should work for your setup also, since the Nav6 works in a GS very similar to a Zumo 590/595. You may have to play with the bluetooth settings in the GPS. Also check your settings in the Sena 50S App. There are a lot more features and options then on the older headsets.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 5/30/2020 at 8:08 AM, marcopolo said:

I'll have to try my pairing again, like Indy Dave's.  I have my 50S paired to my iPhone and to my Nav VI GPS (pairing it as a GPS, as per Sena's User Guide).  However, if I then pair my iPhone to the Nav VI, in order to use the Garmin SmartLink App for weather radar and traffic, it screws up the phone/Sena pairing, such that I can't access Siri, nor does the Sena 50S utility app on the phone work.

I am having this same issue. I want to be able to use the SmartLink App plus access Siri. I have tried soooo many bluetooth configurations with both a 50S and 30K. This hi dollar Navi VI seems unusable. If I get instructions, they are not overlayed with the music or the intercom mesh. Right when I need to tell my riding buddy to "TURN HERE", the gps instructions come in and kills the intercom function. However the limited gps of the BMW Connected App works fine, overlays with music and intercom an intercom communication isn't disrupted. I am going to try and leave the TFT out of the picture, although that seems like such a waste since it interfaces so well with the use of the wonder wheel.

I will continue following this thread in a hope of finding the ultimate Bluetooth pairing configuration.

On a side note. My opinion of the pros/cons of the the 50S vs 30K.

50S mesh quality, and audio is much improved over the 30K, although if the 30k has the newest firmware installed it was also a great improvement.

50S battery life is less, though Sena claims its more. Plus even after only being in use for an hour, the unit kept warning me that the battery was low but when queried with a voice command of check battery, it would respond battery level medium.

My 50S is currently going through Sena's RMA process. After less than a month of owning it, it would no longer even turn on unless tethered to a power cell. Though the little blue light said it was fully charged, it would not even power up so while I wait for its replacement to arrive I am using my other 30K.

Mark

The pairing setups are different from bike model to bike model and also for some of the different versions of bike models.

This even applies if you use the same GPS brand and model.

So it is a sort of Cat&Mouse game, till you find a setup that works for you.

Battery life has been better then my 20S, if I don't use the Mesh or Bluetooth Intercom features.

The 50S pairs up much quicker then the 20S, after turning on the unit.

Even after talking to tech support and Factory reset and Fault reset, Voice commands does not work for me.

But I can get Siri to work and it will give the battery charge level of the 50S.  

• 1 month later...

I paired my Sena 50s, 30s, and cordo pak talk the same. First TFT, then Nav IV. Then pair the phone to the NAV IV onlyy. Its a trade off, but this works best for me. Smartlink app and all. I can choose between Siirus  XM, Amazon music or local. I make calls though my NAV IV. Phone call are received with no issue. Again, mine is the over priced Nav IV

However, the battery in my 50s dies in 2 hours, sometimes 30 minutes. I tried keeping it on the charger cord and cell phone charger. Still give the battery low warning and dies. going back to Sena.

5 hours ago, Jon` said:

However, the battery in my 50s dies in 2 hours, sometimes 30 minutes. I tried keeping it on the charger cord and cell phone charger. Still give the battery low warning and dies. going back to Sena.

My first 50S after 2 weeks of short battery life, compared to the 30K battery life, it wouldn't even power up unless tethered to a power source and the the charging light was blue but would die as soon as I disconnected it. Sena replace it. 

My riding buddy got his 50S the same time I did and was plagued from the beginning with low battery warnings but would say "battery medium" when checked. It too got replaced by SENA.

The 50S might have better audio and bluetooth capabilities but Sena has some bugs to work out on this battery life issue. I see this same complaint on other forums as well.

Mark

My riding partner just got a 50s, no battery issue so far. We use mesh within the group and pair older bluetooth devices to individual 30K or 50S to have group conversations.

We're good for about 8 hours of battery and yakking time.

8 hours ago, PatM said:

My riding partner just got a 50s, no battery issue so far. We use mesh within the group and pair older bluetooth devices to individual 30K or 50S to have group conversations.

We're good for about 8 hours of battery and yakking time.

+1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 11:30 AM, Jon` said:

I paired my Sena 50s, 30s, and cordo pak talk the same. First TFT, then Nav IV. Then pair the phone to the NAV IV onlyy. Its a trade off, but this works best for me. Smartlink app and all. I can choose between Siirus  XM, Amazon music or local. I make calls though my NAV IV. Phone call are received with no issue. Again, mine is the over priced Nav IV

I took my Sena s50 out 22-Aug after leaving it on the charger for several days. No issues. Ran in Mesh for about  9 hours, 5 people. I got a battery warning once. Quite the contrary to my last experience. The only issue I had was when I talk on the phone, everyone hears my conversation, but only on my end. My phone is connected to the Nav VI and not the Sena.

On 8/16/2020 at 10:30 AM, Jon` said:

I paired my Sena 50s, 30s, and cordo pak talk the same. First TFT, then Nav IV. Then pair the phone to the NAV IV onlyy. 

Jon are you saying that you pair 1. Sena to TFT (primary phone connection), Then 2. Sena to Nav VI (second phone connection by press/hold Jog, then phone button to select Second Phone or GPS) 3. Phone to Nav VI? 

In this configuration your streaming music from your phone/spotify/sirusXM, PLUS getting turn by turn navigation from the Nav VI overlaid with the music, undistorted??

I am really trying to feel good about purchasing this high dollar Sat-Nav.... heck.... high dollar everything and getting it to function satisfactorily.

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Try to use Motoprove blog for any information for a bike. There you will find a lot of useful tips on how to upgrade your bike and a lot of reviews about details. Even overdrive is also good enough. So this is my best recommendation about "how to upgrade or improve bike". I use them  https://motoprove.com/ also when I need to know some info and price for customization.

• 2 weeks later...

At highway speed I cannot get Siri or Sena to connect to my voice. Works of at real slow speed, at faster speed I make sure my face sheild is closed and talk louder.

Bob

Since putting my 50S into service in late May I have been very happy with its performance. However, after returning from FART 2020 it started displaying battery charging/life issues.  Charging only to 50-75% regardless of length of time on the charger. Usage duration indicates the indicted charge to be mostly accurate.  Working with Sena now to arrange a replacement.  Hopefully just a bad batch of battteries.

I have bought around 6 or 7 Sena units over the years. Not too unhappy with the one I have now, but like the others it is simply temperamental. I have thought about getting a new unit like the 50 hoping it would be more user friendly and more functional. 

However this may be the time to jump ship. I am thinking about the Cardo units now. Seems they may have taken the lead on operation features. 

• Like 1