IGNORED

Lowering R1150 GS with R1150rt torque arm!

PJ,Toledo

s-l64.jpg.8fb0ecfd6f3edea7e65495919954b6a8.jpgTips/Advice Please??---on installing the longer torque arm from a 02-05 Bmw R1150RT Rear Brake Caliper Torque Arm OEM from ebay I bought to lower my BMW R1150gs. 

Just unbolt and remove mine then does the longer arm fit in HOW? does the rear wheel while sitting on the stand rotate up to put in this arm?

Thanks for some Advice!!!

Help ??

image.png

The Fabricator

Yes bolts right in.  Whether is lowers or not, not sure.  GS sits higher than RT.  I would think it would make RT sit higher.  Don't know that.  

The final drive should rotate to accomodate the different strut.  I would think it rotates down to fit the GS strut.

Don't know that.

You might want to remove the rear wheel before you do that. It will be easier to lift the swingarm into place. 

I changed mine out @ 10 years ago. It was not done to change height of bike. A friend milled one out just for cosmetics.

If I remember right , I just left it on the center stand , unbolted and bolted the new one in place. There were some plastic shims on each side.

I don't know how critical they are ,  but I have not had any problems with final drive ect….

15 hours ago, PJ,Toledo said:

Tips/Advice Please??---on installing the longer torque arm from a 02-05 Bmw R1150RT Rear Brake Caliper Torque Arm OEM from ebay I bought to lower my BMW R1150gs. 

Just unbolt and remove mine then does the longer arm fit in HOW? does the rear wheel while sitting on the stand rotate up to put in this arm?

Thanks for some Advice!!!

Help ??

Morning  PJ,Toledo

A few things to keep in mind. --

Removing the rear wheel is a good idea as it does make it easier but also makes the job safer as that removes weight from the rear of motorcycle so it then has more weight on the front wheel to better stabilize it.

Be sure to use a ratchet strap or rope (or something) to tie the deployed center stand to the front wheel or exhaust as it is REAL EASY to knock the bike off the center stand while working on the rear link. 

If the nuts on the link attaching bolts are not self locking then be sure to use a little lock-tite on the threads when re-assembling.  

Important: install the nuts on the link bolts until just slightly loose, then put the rear wheel back on, then take the motorcycle off the center stand & put it on it's wheels, then have someone of decent weight sit on the motorcycle as you torque the nuts. The link bushings are rubberized so if you torque the nuts with the motorcycle on the center stand that puts the bushings in an unnatural (non neutral)  twist when at riding height.   

• Thanks 1