IGNORED

What's it worth as is

Dave_in_TX

Dave_in_TX
Had a deer run into me and my 2014 R1200GS about a week ago while riding. Insurance company thinks the bike is repairable but based on mileage (130k miles) I think the repair costs may be close to resale value when repaired. I'm not planning to get it repaired so am wondering what it may be worth in its current condition.

Damaged parts include:
- front turn signals
- nav prep kit
- windshield and bracket
- left and right air cleaner intake cover
- left and right emblems
- left trim
- left and right mirror
- left and right handguards
- instrument cluster

Repair parts estimate is about $5k. Bike was running great prior to the accident. Any guesses as to its value are welcome. Are there possibly buyers besides salvage yards that may be interested in it?

In case anyone is interested, I suffered a punctured lung, six fractured ribs, and a fractured scapula.

Had a deer run into me and my 2014 R1200GS about a week ago while riding. Insurance company thinks the bike is repairable but based on mileage (130k miles) I think the repair costs may be close to resale value when repaired. I'm not planning to get it repaired so am wondering what it may be worth in its current condition.

Damaged parts include:
 - front turn signals
 - nav prep kit
 - windshield and bracket
 - left and right air cleaner intake cover
 - left and right emblems
 - left trim
 - left and right mirror
 - left and right handguards
 - instrument cluster

Repair parts estimate is about $5k. Bike was running great prior to the accident. Any guesses as to its value are welcome. Are there possibly buyers besides salvage yards that may be interested in it?

In case anyone is interested, I suffered a punctured lung, six fractured ribs, and a fractured scapula.
RandyShields

Hell with the bike; glad you survived.  Sounds like a bad encounter.  Hope you are hanging in there; those sound like some pretty serious injuries.  Focus on your recovery and being able to enjoy friends and family.  The bike will take care of itself.

• Like 1

Bikes are plentiful and replaceable.  Glad you survived.  As is, the bike is worth less than $1000 (probably close to $800).  Maybe as much as 10 times that if fixed.

szurszewski

Sounds like you came out a lot worse than the bike - glad you’re ok now!

A couple of months ago I traded for a 2012 GSA - it had been wrecked when it was nearly new and then rebuilt. Has some bumps abs bruises, but with half the miles you’ve got it had been listed for $4500 and wasn’t selling. It did/does have a branded/rebuilt title, so that lowers the value a good bit. Sounds like yours would avoid that. 

If you were closer I’d be interested - I’m sure folks nearer would be too. 

Looking at the damage parts list that you posted, all of those bits and pieces can be bought used and put on fairly easily.  Might take awhile to find the parts, but just reading through the list, so long as no frame/driveline damage occurred, it's mainly cosmetic.

Personally, I'd source the used parts, and while "healing", heal the bike.......I'm frugal that way.

• Like 1

I'm really sorry to hear you got so injured, I hope you heal quickly. (Another reason why I think deer should only be seen at the zoo and eliminated from nature.)

Did the insurance company consider listing it as a total loss and just paying you for the insured value?

Dave_in_TX
1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

I'm really sorry to hear you got so injured, I hope you heal quickly. (Another reason why I think deer should only be seen at the zoo and eliminated from nature.)

Did the insurance company consider listing it as a total loss and just paying you for the insured value?

Insurance company considers bike repairable. The high mileage is what complicates things. The insurance company does not consider mileage in the valuation which I think is to my advantage. My past experience indicates selling a high mileage bmw is difficult.

Doctor expects a full recovery. I already feel much better now  at 10 days after the accident. Fortunately deer here in central Texas tend to be small. Unfortunately they are so numerous that they are nicknamed forest rats.

Dave_in_TX
7 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Why not let the insurance company fix it?

I'm getting a check to cover what they estimate it will cost to fix it. That check will likely exceed the resale value. I'd rather put that money into a new bike.

• Like 1

Hey Dave. Sorry about your incident. The amount of deer here scare the crap out of me too. I never ride at night now as they are just crazy. If you know what you want for the bike as is shoot me a pm. I know a guy In Pflugerville who might be interested. I’ll call him and see. I agree with you. At 130k I would look for a younger bike. If your bike had 50k I would most likely fix and ride. Get well soon

Dave_in_TX
57 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Hey Dave. Sorry about your incident. The amount of deer here scare the crap out of me too. I never ride at night now as they are just crazy. If you know what you want for the bike as is shoot me a pm. I know a guy In Pflugerville who might be interested. I’ll call him and see. I agree with you. At 130k I would look for a younger bike. If your bike had 50k I would most likely fix and ride. Get well soon

I don't really know what it's worth which is why I posted here. Based on responses here and to a similar post on advrider.com value is between $800-$3000. Bike is currently in Boerne but insurance company is having it delivered to my house this week.

Edited by Dave_in_TX
9 minutes ago, Dave_in_TX said:

I don't really know what it's worth which is why I posted here. Based on responses here and to a similar post on advrider.com value is between $800-$3000. Bike is currently in Boerne but insurance company is having it delivered to my house this week.

Dang, if you were only 19hrs away rather than 20hrs away, I'd take it off your hands for the low estimate of $800:whistle:That additional hour kills the deal;)

image.thumb.png.60cf964b2b838240f77adefccfaec7ae.png

Just kidding!!

• Haha 1
szurszewski

Similarly, if I didn't really loathe the idea of getting on a plane right now, I'd offer to fly down there and buy it. Sounds to me like it's almost rideable as is... Do you need a second "buddy bike" for when friends from far away come to visit? Might be worth putting the check toward a new bike and fixing this one, slowly as cheap parts are found as suggested above, and just keeping it in the garage. Of course that depends on what insurance and reg cost in your area. 

Dave_in_TX

Wife will only let me have one bike at a time. Other than the instrument cluster, the bike is probably rideable as is.

16 minutes ago, Dave_in_TX said:

Wife will only let me have one bike at a time. Other than the instrument cluster, the bike is probably rideable as is.

You need a new wife:18: 

Tell her she can only have one pair of shoes, one piece of jewelry, one item of makeup, etc,.

Know this is in jest

• Haha 1

It might be worth checking with a local shop or salvage yard to see what you can get for it as is. A tough spot to be in. 

A quick check for replacement parts might be worth it too. If you can find a few key pieces for a good price, repairing it to gain value might work.

Dave_in_TX
31 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

It might be worth checking with a local shop or salvage yard to see what you can get for it as is. A tough spot to be in. 

A quick check for replacement parts might be worth it too. If you can find a few key pieces for a good price, repairing it to gain value might work.

Haven't been able to locate any local motorcycle salvage yards.

Try calling some of the local motorcycle shops, they may know of a place, or may be interested in yours.

• 2 weeks later...