IGNORED

seat height

PJ,Toledo

I have a 2004 R 1150 gs!

I'm 5'8" with a 29 inseam!

I sat on a 2010  R1200r today and i'm still on my tip toes.

Without spending $2000 to buy shorter shocks! 

Does BMW make a road touring bike-USED Model that my 29" inseam would allow my feet to be flat on the ground?

Might as well spend $2000 more to buy another bike if its out there!

Curious PJ-Toledo, Ohio

bmw4.jpg

bmw1.jpg

You could try the torque arm from a R1150R

It is a cheap mod but only lowers it about 20mm

About $40 used on eBay

I did just the opposite and raised my R1150R by installing the GS torque arm

I'm 5'9" with a 29 inch inseam.  My 96 RT sat well at the low seat height.  It rode best at the medium seat height and was adequate on footing at the medium seat height with a Corbin seat.  Corbin seats actually make footing more difficult as they are wider than a stock seat.  So, with the stock seat, you should be good at both low and medium settings.  Of course your butt will ache, but that's another thing.

chrisolson
7 hours ago, PJ,Toledo said:

Does BMW make a road touring bike-USED Model that my 29" inseam would allow my feet to be flat on the ground?

BMW models are all over the spectrum for  heights ...many have adjustable seat heights but the only way to know for sure is "test drive" the seating position.  Although I doubt you'll find anything that you will can totally flat foot on both feet at the same time without suspension or seat mods.

Here is a useful site I found that can help you figure out if the ergonomics of a bike will work with your preferences or not:

Cycle-Ergo

Find your potential ride and update your height, inseam, etc and see how you will fit on the bike.  Also has a nice feature to see how much you can flatfoot it as well.

2020-05-19 07_55_04-Clipboard.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 5/18/2020 at 5:48 PM, Mrclubike said:

You could try the torque arm from a R1150R

It is a cheap mod but only lowers it about 20mm

About $40 used on eBay

I did just the opposite and raised my R1150R by installing the GS torque arm

I wouldn’t change the torque arm. It might initially seem like a good idea, but it will change the angle of the shaft and cause premature failure.  

On 5/18/2020 at 7:05 PM, Red said:

I'm 5'9" with a 29 inch inseam.  My 96 RT sat well at the low seat height.  It rode best at the medium seat height and was adequate on footing at the medium seat height with a Corbin seat.  Corbin seats actually make footing more difficult as they are wider than a stock seat.  So, with the stock seat, you should be good at both low and medium settings.  Of course your butt will ache, but that's another thing.

I bought a used leather Corbin seat in good condition but like the man said it splayed my legs wider. Riding was comfortable but i had to scoot forward to flat food at a stop and i have a 32” inseam. I just had my orig seat recovered. 

MyR1100R has a 3 position seat. Does your 1200?

I was also able to mess with the bottom side of the seat where it would actually bottom on the frame (or where ever) and got it a bit lower by modifying the rubber bumpers. Actually made some parts from my junk box, just to get the seat lower. 

The angle of my knee is a bit extreme so I put my boot on the cylinders to stretch out. When I smell melting plastic...back on the pegs. The previous owner actually had highway pegs fastened in the forward head studs....but I couldn't reach them! :4323:

Damn short legs!

Werner Karl

I too belong to the 29" inseam club.  At first I tried a low dished out seat on my 1100RT.  Still kept me on my toes.  The solution was Works Performance Shocks and a really low Corbin seat.  I'm now able to put my heels on the ground.  It's wonderful!  It really comes down to what it's worth to you to have a bike that fits you properly.  Since BMW engineers seem to be of the opinion that inseams start at 32 inches, it's ultimately up to the owner to make the bike fit or find another brand that does,

11 hours ago, MarinPhil said:

I wouldn’t change the torque arm. It might initially seem like a good idea, but it will change the angle of the shaft and cause premature failure.  

I thought about that

But the most it would do is maybe cause a vibration

From what I can tell everything is exactly the same on  a GS and Roadster , just different Torque arm lengths

The Biggest hassle is the side and center stand length

I had to lengthen both 20mm after installing a shorter  torque arm  on my Roadster to raise it

It wasn't a problem until i installed new tires

But my center stand is already modified from installing GS pegs

IMG_7188.JPG.jpg

MAS_0249.JPG

On 5/19/2020 at 6:56 AM, EvilTwin said:

Here is a useful site I found that can help you figure out if the ergonomics of a bike will work with your preferences or not:

Cycle-Ergo

Find your potential ride and update your height, inseam, etc and see how you will fit on the bike.  Also has a nice feature to see how much you can flatfoot it as well.

I compared my Modified Roadster to a Stock GS and it looks like My roadster fits me better than the stock GS :19:

Now i don't feel so stupid for not  buying  a GS to begin with