IGNORED

Updated accelerator cable (throttle cable) on r1150rs

rbrown99

Hello,  

I have a 2002 r1150rs w/52K miles (i have done 10K miles on it).  The throttle is getting harder to turn - I am planning to change out the full suite (cables, bowden box) soon.  I was wondering if anyone has tried one of the newer style accelerator cables (along with the required deflection kit).   I previously had a 2000 GS, and I used the updated cable which provided an amazing difference in lightness at the throttle.

The updated accelerator cable was to apply to three of the r-bike models (R, GS, Rockster)  - good info from http://www.largiader.com/articles/throttle_kit/

32 73 7 692 490 1115mm R1150R

32 73 7 692 561 965mm R1150GS

32 73 7 692 611 1060mm Rockster

The throttle cable for my RS is 1019mm - and obviously none of the above is a close fit, however, I have heard that some had luck with the GS cable on an RT.

I was wondering: 

1) has anyone tried this swap on an RS, and which cables were used (GS, R, Rockster)?

2) If you tried it for yourself, which would you go for - the Rockster (1060mm) or the GS (965mm)?

3) Should I just scrap this idea and go for the stock accelerator cable replacement?  (experimenting is expensive and time-consuming!)

Thanks in advance,

Ron

1 hour ago, rbrown99 said:

Hello,  

I have a 2002 r1150rs w/52K miles (i have done 10K miles on it).  The throttle is getting harder to turn - I am planning to change out the full suite (cables, bowden box) soon.  I was wondering if anyone has tried one of the newer style accelerator cables (along with the required deflection kit).   I previously had a 2000 GS, and I used the updated cable which provided an amazing difference in lightness at the throttle.

The updated accelerator cable was to apply to three of the r-bike models (R, GS, Rockster)  - good info from http://www.largiader.com/articles/throttle_kit/

32 73 7 692 490 1115mm R1150R

32 73 7 692 561 965mm R1150GS

32 73 7 692 611 1060mm Rockster

The throttle cable for my RS is 1019mm - and obviously none of the above is a close fit, however, I have heard that some had luck with the GS cable on an RT.

I was wondering: 

1) has anyone tried this swap on an RS, and which cables were used (GS, R, Rockster)?

2) If you tried it for yourself, which would you go for - the Rockster (1060mm) or the GS (965mm)?

3) Should I just scrap this idea and go for the stock accelerator cable replacement?  (experimenting is expensive and time-consuming!)

Morning Ron

I can't help you with using the updated cables on the RS but have had pretty good luck over the years in just doing a good  thorough cable & twist grip cleaning  service therefore significantly  reducing the felt throttle drag. (might be worth a try before replacing cables).

As long as your present cables haven't been (long term)  saturated with petroleum based cable lube that eventually softens the inner liners then a cable service might make a world of difference. 

Over the years I have found a lot of throttle drag right in the twist grip area due to the twist grip tube dragging on the handlebar tube. (A good cleaning then re-lubing with Tri-Flow can make a big different here.

Also look to see if the twist grip rubber has migrated inwards allowing the inside end of the twist grip rubber to be rubbing on/dragging on the throttle housing.

If your bike has a wrist rest then try removing that as a test as sometimes that will squeeze the throttle grip tube tighter on the handlebar metal tube causing additional drag in that area.

Also, thoroughly cleaning the cables & Bowden box with WD-40 then blowing out with compressed air until dry, then re-lubing with Tri-Flow with Teflon can make the cables feel like new as far as cable drag goes. 

My preference is the old Tri-Flow with a Teflon not the newer replacement (old Tri-Flow with Teflon is getting difficult to find though)

Thanks for the tips Dirtrider!

I will confirm if the throttle twist grip is hanging up in any spots (maybe remove the cable and confirm all is good there, clean as suggested) before moving on.

Unfortunately, I am the third owner, so I have no idea if any service (using petroleum-based lube) was done on the cables which may soften the liners as you suggest.  

I do have a couple of bottles of the old TriFlow w/teflon, so I will check that out.

Thanks again for the tips!

-Ron

szurszewski

What D.R. said - clean the twist grip / bar interface. 

I had a ‘99 KLT and the LT had a similar update to the throttle cables. I ordered all the bits (new cables, routing tube, etc) before taking anything apart. When I did take it apart I found a ton of grime inside the grip tube - I went ahead and replaced the parts, but I’m sure just cleaning would have realized 90% of the end result.