IGNORED

Towing insurance

outpost22

outpost22

I called AAA and they don't offer it here.

So...

Who has towing insurance and what company do you use? What kind of $ a year is it?

Thanks!

I get it through AAA, but you need to sign up for their RV service. Don't know about coverage for you people in Oregon though. Another popular option is KOA's roadside assistance. If you do a search here for them, you'll get some good details. As I recall, both vendors charge about $100/year.

Progressive gave me towing, gas, jump start the bike if need be. towing was for the first 15 miles though.

russell_bynum
The beauty of the KOA plan (actually Allstate Motor Club) is unlimited towing. You can learn more here.

We haven't used it on the bikes yet, but it worked great when the radiator on my old POS car gave up on the way to work Friday.

dave_albany

Your right Allstate is really the only one you should purchase, covers all your bikes,all your autos and the rest of the autos and bikes in your home. I have sold many of these plans.

dave

Dont know about the Allstate Motor Club towing bikes, but the Allstate RV Roadhelp plan covers cars, travel trailers, motorcycles, etc. And....(dont tell anyone ...) it covers any vehicle that YOU drive.. eek.gifeek.gif(wink wink,,)

Under 100 bux a year....what a deal.

Enjoy!!

Bob Palin
Dont know about the Allstate Motor Club towing bikes, but the Allstate RV Roadhelp plan covers cars, travel trailers, motorcycles, etc. And....(dont tell anyone ...) it covers any vehicle that YOU drive.. eek.gifeek.gif(wink wink,,)

Under 100 bux a year....what a deal.

Enjoy!!

Yep, that is the KOA plan - Allstate RV Roadhelp.

Allstate is really the only one you should purchase

Your enthusiasm for them is admirable, but I've been extremely well served by AAA and have definitely gotten my money's worth over the last year. I don't see how you can say that Allstate is the only reasonable choice.

Bob Palin
Allstate is really the only one you should purchase

Your enthusiasm for them is admirable, but I've been extremely well served by AAA and have definitely gotten my money's worth over the last year. I don't see how you can say that Allstate is the only reasonable choice.

Maybe not the Only reasonable choice but their benefits are considerably better than AAA for about the same price, particularly unlimited mileage towing to a dealer which could save an absolute fortune. Don't get the maps though.
outpost22

Hey thanks! I just signed up at the KOA/Allstate site link.

After getting my flat last week, and if the tire plug had not worked, it would have cost more than the towing membership to get picked up and transported.

Definitely worth the peace of mind wink.gif

You also don't get AAA's title services, which is worth something to me given the DMV wait times around here and how often I seem to buy bikes. AAA has about a 60 mile tow limit, which is just fine for the local riding I do. Still, I'm thinking of switching to Allstate before heading to Colorado.

Killer: You said don't get the allstate (KOA) maps? Are they that bad? I noticed that they had a trip planning service. How does that work? You call them up and tell them where you are leaving from and where you are going and they send you some geographical maps with the preferred routes outlined somehow? I've never had a trip planning service before. Thanks.

Bob Palin
Killer: You said don't get the allstate (KOA) maps? Are they that bad?
I didn't know Allstate had maps, I got the policy through KOA and don't remember any mention of maps. I've never used a trip planning service either, I like to do it myself on the computer, usually starting with MS Streets & Trips which is only OK.

A friend of mine who is very anal and did all kinds of research decided upon KOA/Allstate, so of course I just followed his lead. I don't think they give maps, though. "Trip planning" is offered, but I don't think that will be necessary.

After I signed up I was surprised to learn that ALL our vehicles and any vehicle me and the wife drive (even if rented or borrowed) are covered.

I had AAA for more than a few years (maybe 5?) and had no complaints. I loved their maps and atlas'. That said, I do believe I read somewhere, where AAA doesn't service everywhere in the USA. You could need a tow and be told, "Oh we don't go there." Anyone confirm or deny this? d.

ShovelStrokeEd

Michael,

The limit for AAA RV+ is 100 free miles. If your unlucky, in some states, that could result in a prety good charge. 100 miles might not even get you to a town in some areas.

As to those areas where AAA does not offer coverage, I think, I have never tested it, that so long as you can buy it, they will honor the towing thing. It is just that they don't offer the service for sale in some areas.

The KOA thing is a much better deal with their unlimited milage and I'm thinking of adding onto my AAA coverage on a belt and suspenders kinda thing. I don't pay for the AAA coverage anyway as my company picks up that tab since the discount on hotel rates more than returns the fee. (I spend in excess of 200 nights a year on business travel).

We have the KOA plan through Allstate also. Used it on my daughters car once. It works! I hope I never have to use it on the bikes though... Good luck!

Archived