IGNORED

New to BMW - seeking advice

KRTW

I am looking at buying my next bike and due to so much positive feedback from riders - am considering a BMW - for an RTW trip starting in 2022....I found this on-line and am seeking advice on this model.....it has more mileage than I would prefer, but the price is right......I am sorry about not knowing if this is a camhead or oilhead-  all new terms to me - but the long term reliability and refinement of BMW is what attracts ...so, here is the ad. I asked about maintenance and his response is listed below the ad.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-touring/guelph/2012-bmw-f650-gs-ready-for-adventure/1500827531

I have some records but not all. 20000 km service was done at dealer, after that at local motorcycle shop. Over its lifetime I have replaced steering head bearings, all wheel bearings, chain and sprockets, tires, oil and filter etc

I may not read all 449 pages - but very cool......There is a line in the motorcycle description that ends my interest in this particular bike..."I changed the oil at least once a year".....and that speak volumes about maintenance - Thanks for the post - still reading.

• Like 1
szurszewski
44 minutes ago, KRTW said:

I may not read all 449 pages - but very cool......There is a line in the motorcycle description that ends my interest in this particular bike..."I changed the oil at least once a year".....and that speak volumes about maintenance - Thanks for the post - still reading.

Why is that? The change interval for that bike is 10,000 k (or once per year - whichever comes first)- it has 60,000 k and is about eight years old (depending on when it was purchased). Sounds very reasonable that it was changed on schedule or better. From the sound of the ad I bet the owner has the specific info on when it was changed each time, and I’d certainly not discount the bike without asking. New bearings all around is good and the mileage is not high for that engine. Whatever bike you get, on a true RTW, you will likely break stuff. That would be a good bike for such a trip, but there is also something to be said for a cheaper and more common Asian bike as far as fond parts and mechanics as you travel. 

Thanks for the comment - Hmmm, 10k between oil changes......maybe for BMW - but I have never ridden more than 7k without an oil change, and my brother. who rides a 1200 GSA says the same thing.....Once a year is not good enough if you want a bike to get to 300k, argue if you like - and what kind of oil? Synth, or crap....It all depends, how do you ride, do you push hard - there is not enough information here for me to feel safe with this bike.....I found another, same year, same model, almost the same amount of extras with under 20k on it for a cheaper price - and FULL maintenance records...Now we are talkin......

If I had the $$ - I would go out and buy the Yamaha Tenere 700 - then mod it to my specs and it would cost 25k......simple, good bike, reliable - but I am not just going for a ride - I will be living on the bike and having recently ridden a DR 650 - there is no way I want to spend years on that bike....I have been looking into the "what bike" issue deeply for almost a year - I get it - weight, kind of riding, etc etc....and cost being a big factor - I would rather spend less on a bike and have more for travel - to a certain extent, but. reliability counts, comfort counts. Parts for BMW = big$$......but this much I know - I am going to buy a used bike, mostly kitted out with what I need, in the 800cc range, prefer under 20k but that could be higher depending on information provided by seller - so I have few mods to do. And this may not be a BMW - some of these bikes get great long distance mileage......the BMWs ...that's why I am here..to learn and educate myself. 

2 hours ago, KRTW said:

Thanks for the comment - Hmmm, 10k between oil changes......maybe for BMW - but I have never ridden more than 7k without an oil change, and my brother. who rides a 1200 GSA says the same thing.....Once a year is not good enough if you want a bike to get to 300k, argue if you like - and what kind of oil? Synth, or crap....It all depends, how do you ride, do you push hard - there is not enough information here for me to feel safe with this bike.....I found another, same year, same model, almost the same amount of extras with under 20k on it for a cheaper price - and FULL maintenance records...Now we are talkin......

The bike is in Canada, the "10k" recommended intervals are 10,000 kilometers, usually rounded to 6000 miles by BMW. Eight oil changes in 59000 km (36660 miles) would be an average of only 4600 miles per change. Since I've never heard of engine wear or damage caused by oil failure in the past several decades, the BMW recommended interval seems conservative. The asking price of $6000 CAD is less than $4300 USD, which seems to be a fair price to start negotiations.

• Like 2

Assuming he only rode 4600 miles/change, and averaging in this does not work.  My longest ride was 12,000 KM.....I changed the oil before I left - I changed the oil at the half way mark, and again when I got home....that's three times in one year - Excessive - maybe, but I was riding hard. Between 800 and 1100 km a day....But this is a moot point actually......the bike might be JUST fine.....but I'm not happy with the lack of detailed maintenance information....and really would prefer a bike with lower mileage.....I am going to be out there a LONG time.....Starting high is not a good plan I think. Thanks for the post......Yes, the price is fair - but upon a more detailed search, its actually high considering the mileage and the other offers......If I decide on this make model and year of bike, I can get one for 5k with under 20k on it...

3 hours ago, lkraus said:

Since I've never heard of engine wear or damage caused by oil failure in the past several decades, the BMW recommended interval seems conservative.

Quite true.