IGNORED

Gear selector switch

Bob F

I am new to this site just purchased

a 1999 BMW R1100RTP and find

the gear selector indicator is all over the place.

I know the switch is on the back of the transmission is it accessible by removing the wheel and drive shaft?

Thanks for all help.

Bob

Wheel, final drive, shock, torque arm, and swingarm. It's a pretty big job. My advice on a 21 year old bike? Put a piece of black electrical tape over it and forget about it.

8 hours ago, Bob F said:

I am new to this site just purchased

a 1999 BMW R1100RTP and find

the gear selector indicator is all over the place.

I know the switch is on the back of the transmission is it accessible by removing the wheel and drive shaft?

Thanks for all help.

Bob

Morning Bob

You have 2 switches bolted on the rear of transmission, an idle switch (neutral light switch) & the gear position switch.  

The gear position switch is bolted over the neutral light switch.

You c-a-n get that gear position switch out without removing the rear swing arm, drive shaft, & final drive but it is a REAL PAIN to get in there & work.  

There is no set (cheating) procedure to get to that darn  switch (especially on the RT-P (police bike), removing the rear wheel helps, removing the rear exhaust can help,  removing the rear wheel front inner splash plastic shield can help, & even removing the L/H  foot peg plate can help. 

You basically have a few choices, remove the entire swing arm/drive shaft/final drive to access it or take the rear wheel off then slide under the motorcycle with a strong light to shine up in the rear of the transmission to see what it will take (or has to be removed) for YOU to access that switch.  

Some that that are familiar with the cheating  process & have installed a couple of those switches can reach up in there with short tools & replace that  switch blind but it sure isn't easy (especially if it's your first time).

hdS7Kvm.jpg

I concur with D.R.

I had to replace mine (2004 RT) after I foolishly damaged it while checking pin outs on the digital display. If I recall, I just had to remove the rear tire and crawl up under there with a good trouble light. It's a tight squeeze, but doable.

38 minutes ago, RPG said:

I concur with D.R.

I had to replace mine (2004 RT) after I foolishly damaged it while checking pin outs on the digital display. If I recall, I just had to remove the rear tire and crawl up under there with a good trouble light. It's a tight squeeze, but doable.

Morning Rick

Personally I think the 1150 6 speed is easier to remove & replace as it is a single  switch with  no bolts to mess with as all you need to do is squeeze that retention ring & it comes right off.  

8 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Rick

Personally I think the 1150 6 speed is easier to remove & replace as it is a single  switch with  no bolts to mess with as all you need to do is squeeze that retention ring & it comes right off.  

ahhh, I wasn't aware of that D.R. Funny thing, when I shorted out the switch, I was cursing at myself invisioning myself removing half the bike to replace it, but it wasn't that bad.