IGNORED

Post/Mid Ride - Hot Engine Re-Starting Observations

venturer434

venturer434

Cold Engine Start Observations

- Bike starts with a 3-4 second push on the starter with full choke on. 

- Rarely do I have to go through a second cycle 3-4 second push on the starter motor if the first attempt fails. 

Hot Engine Re-Start Observations: Here is where I am noticing some thing interesting after a good ride. 

- Ride Conditions 35-40 Mile ride ( Averaging 70-80 mph | 4000-4500 rpm) run

- Engine re-start attempt after a brief stop (10-15 minute stop) seems to fire upon at less than 1-2 second starter push.. it seems like I have to just hold the starter button and let go immediately .. engine immediately fires up with a bit of an overrun and stabilizes in 2-3 seconds.. 

• Is this a normal observation?
    • Battery is about 1-2 years old. 
      • I have experienced the same observations since the battery was new and also with an older battery. 
  • No Electrical Issues of any sort so far. 

1 hour ago, venturer434 said:

Cold Engine Start Observations

- Bike starts with a 3-4 second push on the starter with full choke on. 

- Rarely do I have to go through a second cycle 3-4 second push on the starter motor if the first attempt fails. 

Hot Engine Re-Start Observations: Here is where I am noticing some thing interesting after a good ride. 

- Ride Conditions 35-40 Mile ride ( Averaging 70-80 mph | 4000-4500 rpm) run

- Engine re-start attempt after a brief stop (10-15 minute stop) seems to fire upon at less than 1-2 second starter push.. it seems like I have to just hold the starter button and let go immediately .. engine immediately fires up with a bit of an overrun and stabilizes in 2-3 seconds.. 

• Is this a normal observation?
    • Battery is about 1-2 years old. 
      • I have experienced the same observations since the battery was new and also with an older battery. 
  • No Electrical Issues of any sort so far. 

Morning  venturer434

Hot start seems normal, cold start maybe a bit sluggish but some do that. 

Things to try-- 

Try turning the key to on (do not start) then allow the fuel pump to run for (about 2 seconds), do this twice, THEN try starting as normal. If it fires right up then your fueling system is probably taking air into it during the parked period since last ride & the 2 key on's is purging the air.

Next, put choke on first notch then try holding twist grip at about 1/8- 1/4 throttle then see how it cold starts. Remember that your choke is NOT a real choke as ALL it does is hold the throttle slightly open (no extra fuel enrichening)

You might also try measuring the battery  voltage during cold engine cranking, if it is below 10.5 Volts cranking that can cause slower cold starting.  

venturer434

Thanks for the suggestions and tips DR (dirt rider) . Will follow as suggested and post the findings later.