IGNORED

Rain suites - 1 pc or 2 pc?

Iron Al

Your preference in rain suites?  

306 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just wondering what everyone's preference is in rain suites. Do you like the one piece or two peice rain suit? If you like, please post why.

PhotoBiker

I have the Aerostich Roadcrafter Suit, how do I vote for this??

Before this, however, I had a 2 piece "Stuff it in the saddle bag" suit. It made more sense as the jacket top could double as a windbreaker once destinated...

I've always preferred the 2 piece. There are times in a light rain when the protection from the bike is enough to cover my legs and I only wear the jacket for upper body. This is especially true in hotter weather. On the flip side, again in hotter conditions, it's easier to yank off the jacket at a gas/rest stop without having to remove the pants.

Since my real love is touring I have always considered a good rain suit an absolute essential. Staying dry, and often warm, can make all the difference on a trip. I currently have a HD 2 piece which is (please no brand wars here) a high quality product. I have ridden in conditions where scuba gear could have been used and have remained dry. The only recommendation I'll make regarding fit, is make sure the leg portion (1 or 2 piece) has a long opening capacity (preferably all the way to the hip). A problem donning the pants can find you rolling around on the soaked shoulder of the interstate using language that would make a drunken sailor blush. cool.gif

Aluminum_Butt

[slight Hijack]

I also have the BMW one-piece. In prolonged, heavy rain, though, I have a heck of a time with water collecting at the bottom of the zipper, where it ultimately leaks into the suit and onto my crotch. eek.gif Anybody have the same issue and/or a fix?

[End Hijack]

Aluminum_Butt

A problem donning the pants can find you rolling around on the soaked shoulder of the interstate using language that would make a drunken sailor blush

Tip of the day - carry a plastic shopping bag with you. When you put your rain suit on, slip the bag over your boot before you step into the suit. Really helps. thumbsup.gif

The plastic is an excellent point. I used to use a pair of Totes as boot covers. If you could find the boot size they really weren't bad, but they were REALLY hard to slip over wet boots. I took to covering my boots in gallon size zip locks before slipping on the Totes and it was slicker than, well you get the idea. By the way, I've heard similar complaints from other one piece users although it wasn't with the BMW suit.

[slight Hijack]

I also have the BMW one-piece. In prolonged, heavy rain, though, I have a heck of a time with water collecting at the bottom of the zipper, where it ultimately leaks into the suit and onto my crotch. eek.gif Anybody have the same issue and/or a fix?

[End Hijack]

My BMW 1 pc has a crotch pocket that can collect water from the bottom of the zipper. Of course I don't know what happens when it over flows (or maybe I do)

JerryMather

I've been using a Hein Gericke, Speedware 2 piece one for a few years now and haven't gotten wet yet. The two piece ones seem to me to be less of a hasssel to have on.

• 3 weeks later...
A problem donning the pants can find you rolling around on the soaked shoulder of the interstate using language that would make a drunken sailor blush

Tip of the day - carry a plastic shopping bag with you. When you put your rain suit on, slip the bag over your boot before you step into the suit. Really helps. thumbsup.gif

I used this tip the other day and wondered why I never thought of something so easy myself. It worked Great! thumbsup.gif Thanks for passing that tip on.

pipenslippers

We both use BMW 2 piece. The only leak was where the top and bottom join, but now I do a "roll" joint between the trousers top and the jacket bottom. I could probably swim in it now and stay dry. smirk.gif

I'm still in the "evaluation stage" as I piece together touring gear. I've heard many swear by Frogg Toggs (2 piece). I'm told that the up side is that they are light, store compactly, and breath well. Down side is that they aren't heat proof, and will melt if they contact the exhaust system. Most come in camo colors, but there is one orange version which looks fairly visable.

I'm about to order them here. Any comments about the product, pro or con?

I still wear my old leather, steel toed Navy boots for riding, and may look for some conventional rubber overshoes to improve the water resistance. (Or, by the time I need really them, I may have dropped the cash for a set of all-weather motorcycle boots.)

Yankee_Dog

I use the Frogg Toggs. You have the pro and con just about right. IIRC for an extra charge you can get them with a heat shield on the inside of your leg.

Check out the factory website.

www.froggtoggs.com

Yankee Dog

Archived