IGNORED

Trouble with central lock / alarm fob

480VAC

I just bought a used 2014 R1200RT with central locking, alarm and Tpms.  The alarm/lock fob was not working, so I put in a new battery.   But still it does not work.  Red light blinks when I press buttons.
following the instructions in the manual To login remote says to turn on the ignition, then press button 2 twice.  The bike is supposed to beep acknowledging that It’s done,  but the bike makes no noise.

i can set the alarm manually, but the fob won’t do it, it also won’t unlock the central locking, though that works on the handlebar.  I tried syncing the remote following instructions in the manual also, it similarly does not work.

fortunately I’m an electrical engineer and I was able to use an oscilloscope to see that the fob is outputting a 432MHz signal when the the button is pressed.  So it seems that the issue is likely on the bike side.  

Can anyone offer any suggestions of what I might try?

I can certainly live with this not working,  but it bugs me to know that it’s broken.

Jeff

Interesting.

Couple of suggestions

1) Get the Dealer to do it

2) Apparently the Ring antenna is under the plastic cover near the windshield. It's reported that some users had problems getting new fobs paired. Now despite that this relates to the keyless bikes..later then 2014 models, the ringfeed antenna would be located in the same spot. They had to remove the windshield and then the black plastic cover behind the dashboard to get close enough. Once paired, distance wasn't an issue anymore.

It might be worth a try to raise the windshield all the way to the top, then lay the fob directly behind the instrument panel on the black plastic behind it and try the procedure again.

Jeff.….I have a 14RT.  for my central lock it isn't push twice....it's hold it down until you hear it click.

Thanks for the responses.

I’ve tried raising up the windshield, but haven’t actually removed it.  I figured that if I can reach in there it is pretty close to removing the windshield.  no change doing. Any of the processes under the windshield.

i also just went out and tried holding the button,  this has no effect for up to five seconds, didn’t hold it longer than that.  

for clarity, the remote looks like the attached.

204576BE-EF4C-4AD9-944D-8601D66A00EA.jpeg

On my ‘17 I also had to remove windshield and black cover. Worked like a charm. Hope it works as well for you. 

My batteries died on the fob, so changed them & found out that you have to pair them to the bike. After much searching found a link to the bikes manual & did exactly what it says. Both fobs work a treat. Both on central locking & the bike's alarm.

I didn't hold the fobs near the dash they were just on the seat whilst I got them paired, it took a couple of goes mind. And the system didn't make the setting sounds the manual says! But all is well.

Give it another go  👍

Screenshot_20200512-073328_OneDrive.jpg

Thanks again.  I just tried the windshield removal trick.  It still did not work.    Interestingly, the puck antenna under there if for satellite radio, so I don’t know why this would work.  See attached photo. 

for those who have reprogrammed the remotes,  When you click button 2 three times, does you bike beep or respond in any way?  How quickly are you pressing the sequence, and how long after key-on?

the previous owner just found the spare key and fob, so maybe that will tell me something.   

does anyone know where the DWA unit lives in the bike?  I imagine that the antenna is internal to that.

B6048B4F-489F-4032-A9A8-766BF6405066.jpeg