Indy Dave

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - Sept 16-20 Newport, TN

Bernie

Well Chris, checkout the linked thread, and maybe I can help make it easier.

It maybe less painful using a spoon. :4323:

lawnchairboy

I think I got it set.  We will see.  Thanks again  bernie

• Like 2

Bernie

Great Chris, I will see you at FART 2020!

Indy Dave

* ADMINISTRIVIA*

FART 2020 is just a few weeks away and we are all-in for Newport, TN. :beer: That said, it is up to you to make informed decisions, being mindful of any health risks you may have or may pose to others. What may be right for someone else may not be the best decision for you. Currently Newport, TN limits group size to 50 and wearing a mask is recommended. With that in mind, there are a few changes this year.

• Breakfast will be "Grab n Go" and the breakfast area will not be open for seating. On Friday and Saturday Breakfast will have enhanced  choices.
  • We will have access to a seating area both Thursday and Friday nights in case of rain.
  • The outdoor Pool and large patio area is open.
  • Some useful links to help you plan:
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Indy Dave

Mr. Zoom's Last Ride

There are two slightly altered routes that include the Foothills Parkway, the destination of the Final Ride - S Dillsboro (Mr. Zoom) 113 and E Switzerland (Mr. Zoom) 125. We plan to leave the hotel at 7am from the parking area next to the pool. Mr. Zoom's wife - (who is traveling from Oklahoma) and sons will follow in their car. We will park and dismount on one of the overlooks, and some ashes will be spread. Riders can then continue on their route. All are welcome - it's a short ride to the Foothills Parkway.

Richard Elarde - Mr. Zoom

• Like 4

Indy Dave

Here's some video of TN 113 going North (the opposite direction of the Newport FART W Bushy State Pen - Wardens Table 110 Route). At the start of the CLH TN North 113 Rocky top 1 video, you can see the state pen (lunch and tours available) on the left.

This is from a Clean Living Hoosiers Trip I did have a scouting video of this road I made for Kinsley on dry pavement, but I must have deleted it.

And pt 2:

• Like 4

RightSpin

I shall be arriving Thursday and returning Sunday.  Looking forward to the break!

• Like 4

Lowndes

"Better late than never." 

I'm in.  Can't wait.  Wed thru Sun.  Wasn't sure I could make it for a while.  Then I wasn't sure about the hotel reservation or the Group Rate:

image.png.a44d11100a6c23f1279ed2b6aa91341f.png

I called a few minutes ago to haggle and she said, "Oh, No, honey!!  We got that block saved for ya'll!!"  What about that closed-after-30-days-before thing??  "Don't you worry about THAT, darlin'!!" 

AND, the hot tub and pool are still open, plus they have hot biscuits 'n sausage for breakfast.

Bon ton roulet.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Bernie
21 hours ago, RightSpin said:

I shall be arriving Thursday and returning Sunday.  Looking forward to the break!

I am glad to see you be able to join us!

• Like 1

Bernie
29 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

I'm in.  Can't wait.  Wed thru Sun.  Wasn't sure I could make it for a while.  Then I wasn't sure about the hotel reservation or the Group Rate:

I called a few minutes ago to haggle and she said, "Oh, No, honey!!  We got that block saved for ya'll!!"  What about that closed-after-30-days-before thing??  "Don't you worry about THAT, darlin'!!" 

AND, the hot tub and pool are still open, plus they have hot biscuits 'n sausage for breakfast.

Bon ton roulet.

Good to hear you are able to join us again. Good to hear about the room pricing. Looking forward to the breakfast.

Indy Dave
Posted (edited)

Lowndes and RightSpin - Great to have you both making a return visit, and it's never too late to join us. Yes, the host hotel has been great to work with, for sure! The 'enhanced' breakfast on Friday and Saturday is something they are deploying for our group. 

As of Aug. 30:

1673848673_fart2020whosgoingaug30pg1.thumb.jpg.6ef4ab1a44823fc1f761e664f8963f22.jpg

1904460256_fart2020whosgoingAug30r1pg2.thumb.jpg.e9ecc22e884e16a40caa73ca45c09fc4.jpg

1329895758_fart2020whosgoingAug17pg3.thumb.jpg.caa9de8709018058fb4b98cb51398f2a.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave
updated 2nd slide

narcosis

Sorry, out.

• Sad 1

Motorkas

Hello all!  I was told about this forum and invited to the upcoming FART ride by Twistyguy and he recommended that I drop in and say hello.  In having conversations with Twistyguy and him sharing some of his on and off road adventures (as well as the noticeable reduction in traffic due to COVID in the metro area)  the bug to get back to having "motorcycle adventures"  both local (and not so local) hit me hard.  I haven't ridden on the street for about 8 years (and I've never owned a "big bike/touring bike/adventure bike" ) so this is all REALLY new to me.   Well, those conversations lead to some hard core researching (KTM v Triumph v BMW v Suzuki) some hard questions asked of myself and where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do and that resulted in me picking up a GS last Friday, buying new tires today, and booking the hotel to come join (and humbly learn from) your group!  

Since a man must know his limitations, the plan is to throw it in the back of the truck and drive down and back to TN from MD. . . but enjoy the hell out of the 4 days that Twistyguy says are some of the best roads in the world to ride a motorcycle on!   

Looking forward to meeting and riding with you - sounds like a great and passionate group you have here!!!!!

Best,

BT

• Like 7

Indy Dave

Hey BT - Nice choice of bikes and Twistyguy isn't so bad I guess. :rofl::wave: Good thing you got a GS, no doubt Twistyguy will lead you to where the pavement ends, water flows and the banjos can be heard in the distance.  Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your bike.

Welcome!

• Like 4

terryofperry
9 hours ago, Motorkas said:

Hello all!  I was told about this forum and invited to the upcoming FART ride by Twistyguy and he recommended that I drop in and say hello.  In having conversations with Twistyguy and him sharing some of his on and off road adventures (as well as the noticeable reduction in traffic due to COVID in the metro area)  the bug to get back to having "motorcycle adventures"  both local (and not so local) hit me hard.  I haven't ridden on the street for about 8 years (and I've never owned a "big bike/touring bike/adventure bike" ) so this is all REALLY new to me.   Well, those conversations lead to some hard core researching (KTM v Triumph v BMW v Suzuki) some hard questions asked of myself and where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do and that resulted in me picking up a GS last Friday, buying new tires today, and booking the hotel to come join (and humbly learn from) your group!  

Since a man must know his limitations, the plan is to throw it in the back of the truck and drive down and back to TN from MD. . . but enjoy the hell out of the 4 days that Twistyguy says are some of the best roads in the world to ride a motorcycle on!   

Looking forward to meeting and riding with you - sounds like a great and passionate group you have here!!!!!

Best,

BT

Welcome @Motorkas Great to have you aboard.

Terry

• Like 1

lawnchairboy
On 8/30/2020 at 10:21 AM, Lowndes said:

Bon ton roulet.

I'm going to skip the STDs though.    Our sheep are all safe for the newbies.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Motorkas
17 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Hey BT - Nice choice of bikes and Twistyguy isn't so bad I guess. :rofl::wave: Good thing you got a GS, no doubt Twistyguy will lead you to where the pavement ends, water flows and the banjos can be heard in the distance.  Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your bike.

Welcome!

Likewise!  He's already been kind enough to give me some tutorials on the basics of navigating a large bike at slow speed not on asphalt :grin: (it woke me up pretty quickly and was amazingly kind of him).  I ended up with a 2018 Rallye - honestly, fate jumped in and made the decision for me, it was being sold 3.7 miles from my house, had 3700 miles and all the options I would have put on it if I was ordering it new. . .I took it as a "sign" the cosmos were trying to tell me something. . .and now this ride. . .been smiling alot lately:yes:.  

• Like 2

Motorkas
11 hours ago, terryofperry said:

Welcome @Motorkas Great to have you aboard.

Terry

Thanks Terry!!!  Glad to be aboard!!!  Really looking forward to two weeks from now!

• Like 1

randy

so my only living relative on my mothers side, my Uncle Tom, moved from California to Morristown, Tn.  On Friday 9/18 I am riding to Morristown, TN arriving at 11:30am at the Davey Crockett restaurant.

I am going to spend lunch and most of the afternoon catching up.  Uncle Tom is 78 and a character, been riding Harleys since he was 18.  He  was once president of the Harley club somewhere in California.  When he came to visit my Mom (his older sister) I was about 10-12 my parents forbid me to ride with him.  But he snuck me out and we took a ride on his big Harley glide.  He always had the biggest Harley bagger bike.  Tom gave me my first ride, first cigar and first drink.  Then he told me to leave the cigar and drinking behind and focus on the riding :-)  as I said he was a character

If anyone wants to tag along, you are welcome.  Tom would love to meet riders.  And you can of course leave on your schedule.

• Like 4

OldBMWMaster

Since I am traveling with my dog, I have made reservations at the KOA.  See you guys Thursday night.

IMG_20190827_104823197_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

Indy Dave
On 8/31/2020 at 7:52 PM, narcosis said:

Sorry, out.

Ken, Sorry you can't make it, hope you can join us in the Spring! :18:

On 9/3/2020 at 4:15 PM, OldBMWMaster said:

Since I am traveling with my dog, I have made reservations at the KOA.  See you guys Thursday night.

IMG_20190827_104823197_HDR.jpg

Jerry - I'm looking forward to seeing your setup for the pup (and you of course!).

See you soon!

There's room at the Inn and the roads are fine - please join us in Newport!

As Of Sept 6th:

384601554_fart2020whosgoingsept6pg1.thumb.jpg.3a75a7e805444f4a35a883de8277dc0e.jpg

545578757_fart2020whosgoingSept6pg2.thumb.jpg.aaf2b8aae04413799972647ff878e5cc.jpg

159971822_fart2020whosgoingSept6pg3.thumb.jpg.b0afc923c9980a5c5c60dec075c270db.jpg

• Like 1

bwpsg42

Sorry, I'm out for this Fall.  I had hoped that my concerns about Covid would be gone by now but looks like several more months before I will feel comfortable getting together, even with the terrific group represented here.  See you in the Spring.

• Sad 2

Bernie

Tic tok tic tok!

:lurk:

New tires mounted and 6 K service done.

GPS programmed. Almost ready to leave!

:bike::5200:

• Like 4

OldBMWMaster

My tires were delivered Saturday. Oil change is next.

• Like 2

Marty Hill

Have fun!  I'm out till this mess is gone.

Marty

• Sad 2

MikeB60

We are out.  I'm at Fort Bliss, TX on an investigation and will not be able to wrap it up before next week.  

• Sad 5

Indy Dave

Marty, William, Mike and DyAnne :cry: - Understood and sorry to miss you guys this Fall. But, that means seeing you all in the Spring will be that much better :clap: - absence makes the roads even better and the heart grow fonder. :)

I've completed the 3 box oil change and filters, brake fluid flushed, new rear brake pads and the bike should be ready to roll. :bike:

• Like 2

RT_Jim

Dave - 

Seeing as how some are dropping out, thought you'd like some good news that I'm dropping IN! And a friend of mine is going to be following me down on her own bike. We're be arriving Friday. 

Jim

• Like 1

OldBMWMaster

See you there

• Like 1

wbw6cos

Laura and I are at Fontana Village through Thursday and are seeing a good share of BMW bikes.   I cannot help but wonder if some of those riders are here killing time until FART.  Looking forward to seeing those that can make it.  If not, I will see you in the Spring.  :bike:

• Like 1

Bernie

As I am preparing to get a early start in FART, I have heard that some people are trying to use the original routes posted for START 2020. That is okay, except there are a few areas on some of the routes that had to be fine tuned. Also the routes for FART 2020 have been recalculated with the newest Garmin Map Database. 
So if you have time, down load and use the newer version, FART 2020 routes. 
FART 2020 routes

Also check the separate thread with instructions and advise on using and uploading the routes to your navigating devices. 

Let me know if there’s any problems or questions. 
Guide for using garmin gps units and basecamp for event routes

Edited by Bernie
Forgot link to routes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RandyShields
33 minutes ago, Bernie said:

So if you have time, down load and use the newer version, FART 2020 routes.

Bernie is being modest.  There were some glitches in the original routes that he fixed, so I concur -- you should download and use the newer FART 2020 ones that he cleaned up.

Randy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

randy

can I get confirmation of Thursday's last ride.  We are leaving the motel at 7am (as in 7am morning)  and we will arrive at the foothills over look around  7:25, 

Then we can use any route from there?

Indy Dave

Hey @randy yup = 7am as in 7am in the morning!  I didn't end up doing another slide, because I ended up having a Mr. Zoom stand alone post.

From an earlier post [EDIT: This info has been added to the first post - sorry for any confusion]:

Mr. Zoom's Last Ride

There are two slightly altered routes that include the Foothills Parkway, the destination of the Final Ride - S Dillsboro (Mr. Zoom) 113 and E Switzerland (Mr. Zoom) 125. We plan to leave the hotel at 7am from the parking area next to the pool. Mr. Zoom's wife - (who is traveling from Oklahoma) and sons will follow in their car. We will park and dismount on one of the overlooks, and some ashes will be spread. Riders can then continue on their route. All are welcome - it's a short ride to the Foothills Parkway.

So while those 2 routes include and continue from, the Foothills Parkway, one could also begin any route from there, or head back to the hotel and start a route.

1015245614_scheduleofeventsscienicbackgroundR4.thumb.jpg.fd4ab59af76c17b5da6aa90bd9e73519.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Thanks 1

randy

do we need to pay for the Friday dinner?  if so what is the cost?  If not we just pay at the BBQ food truck, is there a link to the menu?

randy

I was not aware that there was a 7 in the morning..  Is this a new item just for FART?

• Haha 2

wbw6cos

That is way past Bernie's time.  Just sayin'

• Haha 2

Indy Dave

@randy - in general - food truck's menu items vary somewhat from night to night. So while there is a menu - they may not have everything on the menu, HOWEVER - they will also have some special 3 meat plates for our group and the plan is for them to have brisket as well. However, we won't know the complete menu until early next week - and I will post it when they update me. They take cash and cards, but there is a $0.50 fee added for card use. 

These are good questions, Randy - and I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. All of this will be covered in an Administrative post this weekend or early next week.

16 minutes ago, randy said:

I was not aware that there was a 7 in the morning..  Is this a new item just for FART?

Randy - the 7am departure time we set primarily so we might have some early morning sun rays peaking over the Foothill Parkway and illuminating the valley/mist while we recognize Rich and his family spread some ashes. Anyone is free to join us - Rich's family will have traveled from Oklahoma for his Last Ride. One can always head back to the hotel and take a nap before heading back out. :thumbsup:

Here is their basic menu - which as I said, will have additional items for our group that will be announced next week.

142791658_Screenshot(91).thumb.png.f62899fc315f988b98b38ac17ed15697.png

2020 menu.pdf

Edited by Indy Dave

randy

ok food looks awesome, and the 7am comment was just me being obnoxious, sorry

• Like 1

Bernie

Just another quick reminder to update your Garmin Zumo/BMW Navigator Mapset Data.

The routes for FART 2020 have been made with/for City Navigator North America NT 2021-2 .

You can use Garmin Express to update your maps on your GPS unit and on your computer (BaseCamp and/or MapSource).

• Like 1

Medic Mike

Hey everyone:

I have to tap out...again...not happy about it.  Numerous reasons, so I will not bother you all with the details.  I am going to DL the routes since I am only 2 hours or so away, may try and meet a group and enjoy a day ride (an NC route).

I do hope you all enjoy and maybe, just maybe I can make START.

Mike

• Like 2

Indy Dave

1896523260_20fartr3c.jpg.76eb61983b6a9933032b030f9b326b2c.jpg

Two of the Bumbling BackRoad Riders have already hit the road :revit::beer::bike:, and I'll be heading out tomorrow :yes:

A few last minute items:

• We have a few first time FARTer's - please welcome them so it doesn't stink for them.
  • Please be mindful of others who may have heath concerns you may not.
  • Please sign in and list the total number of motorcycles you've owned.
  • Taking and sharing of photos is always appreciated.
  • Route Maps will be posted in the hotel lobby.
  • Bike washing station - with towels - will be located near the hotel office.
  • Questions: find us at the hotel or Post or PM me or Terry, Bernie, BMW_Ken, DaveCinNO, twistyguy,

Friday Night Food Truck will be located near the picnic area (backside of the hotel).

In addition to the menu post earlier, they will also be offering @randy:

• 3 meat plate (pulled chicken, pulled pork, sliced smoked sausage) with 2 sides $12
  • Sliced brisket plate with 2 sides $14
  • Chopped brisket sandwich with 2 sides $12
  • For desserts we will have banana pudding & lime fluff (like a key lime pie deconstructed) if timing that week goes as planned hopefully we will have some pie also.
  • We do have beverages - coke, diet coke, dr. pepper, mt.dew & sweet tea.
  • Remember - non cash use has a $0.50 additional fee

The Final COUNT is on!

200px-Count_von_Count_kneeling.png.528af8a55b7cb14c1cb593c4b613015b.png

• Like 1

Indy Dave

As of Sept. 12:

1523929190_fart2020whosgoingSept12pg2.thumb.jpg.958b477f65d50e81df0e2ea0558985f5.jpg

782211038_fart2020whosgoingSept12pg2r2.thumb.jpg.0362624800bb6156539a2ef77261c33c.jpg

wbw6cos

mmmm, pie.

BamaJohn

Ride safe, all....see ya wednesday  jb

• Like 1

scout6

Hi All,

Susan and I had to cancel.  We will miss seeing you all.  Have fun!  Rob

• Sad 2

RandyShields

Sorry to hear you will not be able to make it.  Still listening to your great downloaded music while riding and on the golf course!  Had to lose the rap, though.

Randy

Indy Dave

We'll miss you Rob and Susan. :classic_mellow:

Off and rolling this morning...

20200913_093253.thumb.jpg.7c07952a4131db638405aa930f6b289e.jpg

20200913_093743.thumb.jpg.5ac28b4e86dc47e7f926d8aa9d14deee.jpg

• Like 5

Chris K

Hate to have to post this but I am out. I was SO looking forward to this!

• Sad 1

Burt

I'm out.  Maybe in the spring.