Indy Dave

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - Sept 16-20 Newport, TN

narcosis

Forgot to note that I'll arrive Wednesday and depart Sunday...in for the total experience.

• Like 2

scout6

Rob and Susan (Scout6 and Scout7) plan to be there on Wednesday, checking out on Thursday. Reservation made.

• Like 2

Indy Dave

Great - glad you both are out and about this summer :bike: Looking forward to seeing you both!

• Like 1

Bernie

Yes, most of the roads are going to be curvy, some will have tighter curves. Because most of the curvy or challenging roads are normally the smaller roads, you will find that most of these roads are also leading to homes and farms. It is a densely populated area. 

The "WBrushy State Pen-Wardens's Table 110" Route skirts around the northern edge of Knoxville, TN. It is a spread out town. There isn't much we can do about it. 

You may want to try "N Lynch, KY 139" and the matching return routes. They are avoiding large towns.

The Pishgah and Little Switzerland routes will take you into higher elevations, which maybe a little more pleasant in the summer heat.

Have fun and ride safe.

• Like 1

Indy Dave

What part of the route did you ride? I recall a small section that was a little residential.

Bernie

There are very few 55mph 2 lane twisty roads in TN, you will find more in NC. 

But most 2 lane twisty roads in the USA are tagged below 55 MPH. Like the The Dragon +25 mph, The Snake 30-35 MPH. The Diamond Back NC-226Alt is tagged at 35 MPH, I think. 

Some of NC-209 is tagged at 55 MPH. The Blue Ridge Parkway is posted between 45 and 35 MPH. You will have to concentrate on US-Hwy's for 55MPH+ roads. Unfortunately these roads will not be very twisty, they will have more sweeper type curves.

• Like 1

Indy Dave

The last half of that route is great - from Rocky Top to the State Pin.

Indy Dave

Sometimes you have to :revit:twist:revit: the wrist. :bike::bike: :whistle:

Enjoy the ride.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Bernie
1 minute ago, Tpoppa said:

I'm from Ohio.  All the fun curvy roads there are 2 lane 55 mph.

Sorry, I did not intent to insult you, but the speed limits are imposed by the local governments. Some states are a little more lax then others. 

• Like 1

Indy Dave

If those are the kinds of roads you prefer, I think you'll find plenty to your liking. One thing about the route NW from Newport is getting around Knoxville - in staying away from metro areas and interstates, there's always some give and take involved in road selection. That can be amplified when needing to avoid a large metro area. 

• Like 2

BamaJohn

Funny.....I wasn't aware that I couldn't have fun on a motorcycle in the twisties without going 55mph...guess I've been doing it wrong.  :5223:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

wbw6cos

I am pretty sure if he follows anybody like @Chris K , 55-mph will surely be reached, more than once.  Just sayin'

• Like 3

Bernie

What are these speed limits you guys are talking about? When did they started doing those things?

:3::4607:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

ThomasJ

Please sign me up...if not too late

• Like 2

Rockosmith
On 6/23/2020 at 9:28 PM, Bernie said:

What are these speed limits you guys are talking about? When did they started doing those things?

:3::4607:

On Mothers Day, I think!

• Like 1

lawnchairboy
On 6/23/2020 at 5:17 PM, wbw6cos said:

I am pretty sure if he follows anybody like @Chris K , 55-mph will surely be reached, more than once.  Just sayin'

He was even faster on his red 1100

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

BamaJohn

Today's July 8 and I don't know about you, but I surely do hope this Covid-19 thing dissipates and we actually get to have our FART'ing in September....gives us something to look forward to....just might have to go check out a route or two between now and then!  :bike:

For us old FARTS, the clock is ticking away loudly...

• Like 5

Indy Dave

John- Nice to see you and Dave Saturday. I say 'see' because I think that's about all we did (and wave)! We did the skeeee-daddle fairly quickly after the gathering in a hapless attempt to avoid the thunderstorm. Sorry our paths didn't cross again - hope to  see   converse with you both at FART!

Rockosmith

We got as far as Dahlonega before the thunderstorms caught us.  Rained the rest of the way home.

• Like 2

Matts_12GS
On 5/17/2020 at 1:06 PM, lawnchairboy said:

In Thurs-Sun.

What he said...

• Like 2

BamaJohn

Thanks Dave...it was nice to see you as well.  I realized you had a lot on your mind that Saturday...it's all good!  See ya soon  jb

• Like 2

Indy Dave

10 weeks out and FART is building!

2036300666_fart2020whosgoingmay21pg1.thumb.jpg.73290122eea5629d6db8a90f3ba8a4f4.jpg

1406551744_fart2020whosgoingjuly8pg2.thumb.jpg.32665132cb145b7bef1b3f6545d979f4.jpg

• Like 3

Medic Mike

Dave, Bernie and anyone else who is interested:

NC 197 is a great missed little road that has an average speed of 55 for most of it and has inlets to 226A, US 19/23 and NC80 (The Devils Whip).  It also goes all the way up to Roan Mountain.  Have not traveled it up to TN yet.  Once I get new tires on and services completed it is on my list.  NC 197 and US 226 merge for a little bit but split off I think around Red Hill, NC.  226 is 55 except through Burnsville and Spruce Pine.  NC 197 also follows the Toe River as well.  It is not as curvy as NC80, but the road is well maintained and has some amazing views.  NC251 which follows the French Broad is 55 outside of Asheville until it reaches Marshall.  The curvy spots starts outside of Marshall and into Newport.  Have not traveled all of NC251 yet, but a few friends of mine have.  I work with several people who live in Yancey (Burnsville), Madison (Marshal/Mars Hill) and Mitchell (Spruce Pine) Counties.  I will reach out to them and see what roads are off the radar for us to travel if you all would like.

Mike

• Like 1

S.O.B.

Mike, after you get to Roan Mountain there is a nice little looping road that starts as Ripshin Mountain road and turns into Tiger Creek Road.  Nice little scenic lake back there for your viewing pleasure.  From there 173 gets you down to 107 and 226, or back over to 197.  See you soon.

• Like 1

Bernie

Thanks Mike(Medic Mike) and Dan(S.O.B.). Most of those roads are in my database, I will make sure to add any missing ones.

Also feel free to send me a PM with anything you or your friends find. 

jbr7t

Haven't been around in a couple years. But, Friday I pick up a new to me 2009 RT.  Going to take a look at my calendar and see if I can make it out to TN for this.

• Like 2

Indy Dave

That's an excellent machine, congrats!

Please post a photo or two and we hope you can squeeze us into your calendar this Fall!

Slumgullion

In! Reservations made!

• Like 6

randy

In, Arriving very late Wednesday evening leaving Sunday

• Like 3

Indy Dave

Great! :18:Looking forward to seeing you guys again. 

OldBMWMaster

Barbie is checking her schedule.  The BMWRA was set for this date; but it has been canceled.

TyTass

Unfortunately it looks like we are out. 

Long story, too many questions at the moment, but suffice it to say, it doesn't look good for us meeting up with everyone. 

• Sad 6

Burt
1 hour ago, TyTass said:

Unfortunately it looks like we are out. 

That's too bad.  I was looking forward to another ride with you and Mike (Greiffster).  That was a good time last year.

• Like 2

Indy Dave

Indy Dave
On 5/13/2020 at 3:28 PM, Slumgullion said:

In Wednesday until I'm not welcome!

On 7/17/2020 at 12:50 PM, Slumgullion said:

In! Reservations made!

You're still and always welcome Joel! And thanks for the ART and Kinsley logos!

As of July 30th

2036300666_fart2020whosgoingmay21pg1.thumb.jpg.73290122eea5629d6db8a90f3ba8a4f4.jpg

849581169_fart2020whosgoingjuly30rpg2.thumb.jpg.5a356a2a66944a3ad646d974094407d9.jpg