IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - Sept 16-20 Newport, TN

Indy Dave

Great - glad you both are out and about this summer :bike: Looking forward to seeing you both!

• Like 1

Yes, most of the roads are going to be curvy, some will have tighter curves. Because most of the curvy or challenging roads are normally the smaller roads, you will find that most of these roads are also leading to homes and farms. It is a densely populated area. 

The "WBrushy State Pen-Wardens's Table 110" Route skirts around the northern edge of Knoxville, TN. It is a spread out town. There isn't much we can do about it. 

You may want to try "N Lynch, KY 139" and the matching return routes. They are avoiding large towns.

The Pishgah and Little Switzerland routes will take you into higher elevations, which maybe a little more pleasant in the summer heat.

Have fun and ride safe.

• Like 1

What part of the route did you ride? I recall a small section that was a little residential.

There are very few 55mph 2 lane twisty roads in TN, you will find more in NC. 

But most 2 lane twisty roads in the USA are tagged below 55 MPH. Like the The Dragon +25 mph, The Snake 30-35 MPH. The Diamond Back NC-226Alt is tagged at 35 MPH, I think. 

Some of NC-209 is tagged at 55 MPH. The Blue Ridge Parkway is posted between 45 and 35 MPH. You will have to concentrate on US-Hwy's for 55MPH+ roads. Unfortunately these roads will not be very twisty, they will have more sweeper type curves.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tpoppa said:

I'm from Ohio.  All the fun curvy roads there are 2 lane 55 mph.

Sorry, I did not intent to insult you, but the speed limits are imposed by the local governments. Some states are a little more lax then others. 

• Like 1

If those are the kinds of roads you prefer, I think you'll find plenty to your liking. One thing about the route NW from Newport is getting around Knoxville - in staying away from metro areas and interstates, there's always some give and take involved in road selection. That can be amplified when needing to avoid a large metro area. 

• Like 2

Funny.....I wasn't aware that I couldn't have fun on a motorcycle in the twisties without going 55mph...guess I've been doing it wrong.  :5223:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
On 6/23/2020 at 9:28 PM, Bernie said:

What are these speed limits you guys are talking about? When did they started doing those things?

:3::4607:

On Mothers Day, I think!

• Like 1
lawnchairboy
On 6/23/2020 at 5:17 PM, wbw6cos said:

I am pretty sure if he follows anybody like @Chris K , 55-mph will surely be reached, more than once.  Just sayin'

He was even faster on his red 1100

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Today's July 8 and I don't know about you, but I surely do hope this Covid-19 thing dissipates and we actually get to have our FART'ing in September....gives us something to look forward to....just might have to go check out a route or two between now and then!  :bike:

For us old FARTS, the clock is ticking away loudly...

• Like 6

John- Nice to see you and Dave Saturday. I say 'see' because I think that's about all we did (and wave)! We did the skeeee-daddle fairly quickly after the gathering in a hapless attempt to avoid the thunderstorm. Sorry our paths didn't cross again - hope to  see   converse with you both at FART!

Thanks Dave...it was nice to see you as well.  I realized you had a lot on your mind that Saturday...it's all good!  See ya soon  jb

• Like 2

Dave, Bernie and anyone else who is interested:

NC 197 is a great missed little road that has an average speed of 55 for most of it and has inlets to 226A, US 19/23 and NC80 (The Devils Whip).  It also goes all the way up to Roan Mountain.  Have not traveled it up to TN yet.  Once I get new tires on and services completed it is on my list.  NC 197 and US 226 merge for a little bit but split off I think around Red Hill, NC.  226 is 55 except through Burnsville and Spruce Pine.  NC 197 also follows the Toe River as well.  It is not as curvy as NC80, but the road is well maintained and has some amazing views.  NC251 which follows the French Broad is 55 outside of Asheville until it reaches Marshall.  The curvy spots starts outside of Marshall and into Newport.  Have not traveled all of NC251 yet, but a few friends of mine have.  I work with several people who live in Yancey (Burnsville), Madison (Marshal/Mars Hill) and Mitchell (Spruce Pine) Counties.  I will reach out to them and see what roads are off the radar for us to travel if you all would like.

Mike

• Like 1

Mike, after you get to Roan Mountain there is a nice little looping road that starts as Ripshin Mountain road and turns into Tiger Creek Road.  Nice little scenic lake back there for your viewing pleasure.  From there 173 gets you down to 107 and 226, or back over to 197.  See you soon.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike(Medic Mike) and Dan(S.O.B.). Most of those roads are in my database, I will make sure to add any missing ones.

Also feel free to send me a PM with anything you or your friends find. 

Haven't been around in a couple years. But, Friday I pick up a new to me 2009 RT.  Going to take a look at my calendar and see if I can make it out to TN for this.

• Like 2

That's an excellent machine, congrats!

Please post a photo or two and we hope you can squeeze us into your calendar this Fall!

• 2 weeks later...
OldBMWMaster

Barbie is checking her schedule.  The BMWRA was set for this date; but it has been canceled.

Unfortunately it looks like we are out. 

Long story, too many questions at the moment, but suffice it to say, it doesn't look good for us meeting up with everyone. 

• Sad 6
1 hour ago, TyTass said:

Unfortunately it looks like we are out. 

That's too bad.  I was looking forward to another ride with you and Mike (Greiffster).  That was a good time last year.

• Like 2
On 5/13/2020 at 3:28 PM, Slumgullion said:

In Wednesday until I'm not welcome!

On 7/17/2020 at 12:50 PM, Slumgullion said:

In! Reservations made!

You're still and always welcome Joel! And thanks for the ART and Kinsley logos!

As of July 30th

2036300666_fart2020whosgoingmay21pg1.thumb.jpg.73290122eea5629d6db8a90f3ba8a4f4.jpg

849581169_fart2020whosgoingjuly30rpg2.thumb.jpg.5a356a2a66944a3ad646d974094407d9.jpg

John Ranalletta
On 5/10/2020 at 7:47 PM, Indy Dave said:

Reminder - this first post will be continually updated as additional details are available, in addition to being posted in the thread itself. Questions? pm @Indy Dave

3992345_2020FARTannonfinalR3final.thumb.jpg.02a012dce4056cf218c7dc9ca5264161.jpg

242936144_fart2020itinerarymay10R3.thumb.jpg.b581b1f8decb0cef735b6fe52e89d7cb.jpg

227747225_Screenshot_2020-05-10Newport.thumb.png.a8881df183cbc2df2302f15f29988aa5.png

As of May 21:

2036300666_fart2020whosgoingmay21pg1.thumb.jpg.73290122eea5629d6db8a90f3ba8a4f4.jpg

1406551744_fart2020whosgoingjuly8pg2.thumb.jpg.32665132cb145b7bef1b3f6545d979f4.jpg

Were routes posted for the cancelled START or for this FART?  If so, could someone point me to them?

TIA.

John

4 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Were routes posted for the cancelled START or for this FART?  If so, could someone point me to them?

TIA.

John

Good evening John. 

We will be using the routes from the canceled START event. 

We have not yet reposted the routes. 

• Thanks 1

Hi John, we post the routes 4 weeks prior to the event. Look for Bernie to post them next week.

Looking forward to seeing your and Ruth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am almost ready to upload the GPS files and the instructions to use them.

Here is a map layout of all the routes.

FART 2020 Route Map:

972813810_FART2020NewportTNRoutes.thumb.png.d89dc51daac1e3433ca41570f2c19fca.png.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, Bernie said:

I am almost ready to upload the GPS files and the instructions to use them.

Here is a map layout of all the routes.

FART 2020 Route Map:

Are these the same routes for START 2020?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Burt said:

Are these the same routes for START 2020?

Yes Burt, but with a twist. I have added Tracks to assist with navigation. Details and instructions will be available in a day or so. 

Hopefully these items will make it easier to load and run the routes during the event.

Edited by Bernie
Forgot something
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Bernie said:

Yes Burt, but with a twist. I have added Tracks to assist with navigation. Details and instructions will be available in a day or so. 

Hopefully these items will make it easier to load and run the routes during the event.

I didn't see your earlier post about the routes being from START.  I guess I need to start reading all the posts in a thread.  I won't as many dumb questions that way.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Burt said:

I didn't see your earlier post about the routes being from START.  I guess I need to start reading all the posts in a thread.  I won't as many dumb questions that way.

I haven't said that the routes are already uploaded. I should have them ready for download in a day or two.

• Like 1

We're 4 weeks out from the start of The Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART)! It's been a year since we've all been together, and that's a long time to wait to FART.

We will be using the routes that Kinsley created for this event, originally scheduled for last Spring.

As always, recalculate the routes you intend to ride in your software and make sure the mileage remains very close to the original distance before loading to your GPS because my BaseCamp Preference settings and maps may be different from yours.

There are at least 2 options for your return to the hotel for each route with the total mileage for the day being the last number in the return's name.

Here’s the rundown of the routes:

• The East route is 124 miles too Little Switzerland.

• The North route is 139 miles to Lynch, KY to Lamp House Coffee** and these will be new roads for most of you.

• The South route is 111 miles within familiar territory down to Dillsboro, NC for some BBQ**.

• The South East route is 93 miles to Pisgah Inn, so leave early and get breakfast before 10:30 am, or arrive after 11:30 am for lunch **.

• The West route is 109 miles to The Brushy Mountain State Pen where you can eat at The Warden's Table (Lunch only starting at 11:00 am**)

• Self Guided tours of the penitentiary open at 10:30 am** (hopefully nobody in this group knows the place too well).

• There are 3 loops of varying lengths and directions with one including some Gravel/Dirt marked by the GS Waypoints in the routes.

**PLEASE NOTE: Due to Covid concerns, be prepared for the possibility of lunch stops being closed, having reduced seating or open for take out only. Call ahead to restaurants to confirm that they are open. It's a good idea to pack some vittles in case of unforeseen meal challenges. Make assumptions at your own risk!**

Disclaimer: The attached routes and instructions are to be used at your own risk, and these instructions are simply general guidelines and may not be applicable to the user’s specific use and it’s incumbent upon users to do their own research to determine how to set up their units and to ensure their route and directions are suitable to their own needs. Keep in mind, things change over time - so as always - use common sense when following directions from an electronic device.

2020 FART ROUTE DOWNLOADS

New this year:

• Additionally, I have also broken up the entire route database set into singular, individual routes. For those that are using devices other than Garmin units for their navigation (phone, tablet, ride connected, etc), the individual routes may simplify the process of using other devices and apps for navigation.You should be able to save them directly to your phone or tablet or GPS. These singular routes contain the same information as the big file event dataset, they’re simply broken up into individual routes.

The usage of the individual routes is an experiment. If you’re using a device other than a Garmin GPS and used these individual files, please let me know if they were useful for your needs, and if not, provide some feedback for improvement. Please PM me or respond to this thread: https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/97671-guide-for-using-garmin-and-basecamp-for-event-routes/

As referenced above, I’ve created a PDF with some tips or methods on how I use these routes in my BMW NAV 6 GPS unit. I know that it can be a struggle to get up to speed with BaseCamp and routing. The PDF contains step by step guides and tips that will hopefully provide a greater understanding of route utilization.

Thanks, and feel free to post or PM any questions you might have.

Bernie

Edited by Indy Dave
Edited format to show text better in dark themes
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
lawnchairboy

Do I jam my fork into my eye at hour two or three of trying to handle this task?   

It is comedy/tragedy whenever ever I try to utilize a GPS and routes🤣

Thanks for the route work Bernie.