IGNORED

Brake Fluid ?

Woodie

Over the last several days I've noticed that my front brake squeezes pretty close in the first time I grab it, but if I grab it again (pump it?), it grips much further out. (foot/rear brake doesn't seem to change at all)

First Questions: confused.gif

Does this mean I have air in the brake lines? Or just that I'm low on brake fluid?

Second Questions: confused.gif

What do I do about this?

(ok, you can stop laughing at my ignorance now...help a fella out!)

Woodie,

It's probably the floating rotors wobbling a little and pushing the pistons back in the calipers. Only YOU would know if you are low on fluid. smile.gif I can't see the reservoir from here.

Mick

First Questions: confused.gif

Does this mean I have air in the brake lines? Or just that I'm low on brake fluid?

The hydraulic system has no way of knowing how much or how little fluid is in the reservoir, until the level gets so low that it sucks in some air. Once that happens, you can add all the fluid you want in the reservoir, and the air will still be in the system.

So the short answer is that you probably have air in the system.

Second Questions: confused.gif

What do I do about this?

Bleed the brake system.

Bob.

A thorough bleed with fresh DOT4 is needed. Do it before you ride further. Properly operating brakes are as essential as air in your tires for safe motorcycle operation. If you need further help regarding how to proceed, reply here and we'll help...but, do not ride the bike until you have restored proper brake operation........PERIOD!

...do not ride the bike until you have restored proper brake operation........PERIOD!

And how do I get home???? eek.gif

OK, instructions taken. I should have time to do this tomorrow. At least I've done brake bleeding before. I'll pick up some DOT4 today. (Not, DOT5...right???)

Woodie,

Badly worn front pads can cause this symtpom too. If you indeed have air in the system, the brake lever will NEVER feel firm. It will always seem spongy and pumping the brake lever will not help. If the pads are badly worn, the rubber piston boots 'can' move the pistons back in the calipers and create the longer travel of the brake lever the first time it's used.

Mick

Blue Beemer Dude
OK, instructions taken. I should have time to do this tomorrow. At least I've done brake bleeding before. I'll pick up some DOT4 today. (Not, DOT5...right???)

Correct. 3 or 4. Not 5. Not 4 1/2 (I swear I think I saw that somewhere once).

If this just started happening, then something has caused it, be it worn pads, air in the system, or something else. But something does need to be addressed so that it doesn't happen again.

Be safe.

Michael

(Not, DOT5...right???)

I just *knew* I would get a rise out of that bait! wink.gif

I haven't looked at the front pads, I'll do that tomorrow as well. I suspect that might be the more likely cause, but you all have to wait until I have DATA to start speculating. confused.gif

Wait...you guys don't want facts confusing the issue, do you? eek.gif

wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

DOT4......not DOT anything else....DOT4
And the Wrench spake, saying, 'First shalt thou shop for the Holy Pint of Brake Fluid. Then, shalt thou seek out DOT four. No more. No less. DOT Four shall be the classification number thou shalt buy, and the number of the classification shall be four. Five shalt thou NOT purchase, nor either buy thou three, excepting that the container also list four. Six is right out. Once the DOT classification four, being the fourth number, be purchased, then, bleedest thou thy Holy Brake System and therewith purge it of all the evil aires that dwelleth within. Amen' smirk.gif
Bob Palin
And the Wrench spake, saying, 'First shalt thou shop for the Holy Pint of Brake Fluid. Then, shalt thou seek out DOT four. No more. No less. DOT Four shall be the classification number thou shalt buy, and the number of the classification shall be four. Five shalt thou NOT purchase, nor either buy thou three, excepting that the container also list four. Six is right out. Once the DOT classification four, being the fourth number, be purchased, then, bleedest thou thy Holy Brake System and therewith purge it of all the evil aires that dwelleth within. Amen' smirk.gif
Must have been a looong, slooow, night at the fire station... grin.gif

And the Wrench spake, saying, 'First shalt thou shop for the Holy Pint of Brake Fluid. Then, shalt thou seek out DOT four. No more. No less. DOT Four shall be the classification number thou shalt buy, and the number of the classification shall be four. Five shalt thou NOT purchase, nor either buy thou three, excepting that the container also list four. Six is right out. Once the DOT classification four, being the fourth number, be purchased, then, bleedest thou thy Holy Brake System and therewith purge it of all the evil aires that dwelleth within. Amen'

That is milk out of my nose funny.....er, ah, brake fluid out of my nose funny. clap.gif

Well, I think the brake fluid isn't the problem...level looks fine when checked according to Clymer. (On sidestand, front wheel turned to the right to level out the resevoir)

Pads - I couldn't tell from the manual where the wear-indicators are (or were?). I didn't get a picture or them, but they sound like the likely culprit, based on >5,000 miles since last checked + symptoms. Ordering new pads today.

edit: $55 for a pair of brake pads? Am I looking at the right parts for a 2001 R1100RT w/ cast (3-spoke) wheels? 34117658156 eek.gif

KMG...nice one! Definately glad I wasn't drinking a beverage when I read that! eek.gif

Let there be 4. I have spoken.

motoguy128

Too funny.

Did you check that the banjo bolts are tight at both the master cylinder and calipers? I had a loose bolt on my master cylinder while riding the other day. I first thought it was a big juicy squished bug that had hit my bar, but then realized I was leaking brake fluid. The brakes felt OK on the way home, but I'll bleed thme the first chance I get in case some air got sucked in (unlikely, it was barely leaking at full pressure)

Archived