IGNORED

Kinsley Rememberance Ride & Gathering

mikeR1100R

I just logged in to the forum last night after about a year’s absence due to a lot of family upheaval and relocation.  Georgi and I met Ken at the 2013 UN in Blowing Rock.  We would love to  be there but have obligations in the Northeast at that time.  We offer our sincere condolences to Ken’s family and friends.  

• Like 2
10 hours ago, TyTass said:

Selden may be able to elaborate further, but I believe that puts us well past capacity for any restaurant/catering facility for a group meal (given the COVID rules for restaurants), which is what I suspected and why I thought it best not to try to coordinate a group meal.  Too many unknowns about capacity.

Absolutely. Here are some possibilities for unorganized dining, in no particular order. Except for Turner's Corner, all are within easy walking distance of the Quality Inn:

Riverside Tavern at Turner's Corner. Under new management, and possibly the best it's been in the past decade.

https://www.riversidetavernturnerscorner.com/

Bratzeit. Real Swiss-German fare without the Helen kitsch.

http://www.bratzeit.com/

Hoka Hoka. Sushi, adjacent to the Quality Inn. As far as I know, take out only.

https://www.hoka-hoka.com/

GrapeVine's Italian Restaurant. Basic Italian. Better than it needs to be. If only they would fix the punctuation.... Same owners as Pueblos.

https://www.gvitalian.com/

Pueblos Mexican Cuisine. Recently remodeled and re-opened, basic Mexican. 

https://www.pueblosmexicancuisine.com/

Spirits Tavern. Burgers & Beers. Battered and fried green beans are interesting.

https://spirits-tavern.com/

Shenanigans Irish Pub. Decent Irish pub grub, large outside terrace.

https://www.theshenaniganspub.com/

On the square:

Crimson Moon. Expect live music on a Friday or Saturday night. Bar & balcony upstairs. The only scheduled act at this time is Dex Romweber Duo, Friday, June 26.

http://www.thecrimsonmoon.com/

Capers on the Square. Greek/Mediterranean

https://capersdahlonega.com/

Bourbon Street Grille. NOLA themed. Not the French Quarter, but not bad. Dining on the upstairs balcony can be delightful.

http://www.thebourbonstreetgrille.com/

19° North Seafood & Grill. Just what its name suggests. Upstairs dining porches front and back. Same owners as Grapevine's and Pueblos.

https://www.19dgnorth.biz/

Gustavo's (where the apostophe is appropriate). Pizza, calzones, pasta, etc. 

https://www.facebook.com/gustavospizza/

Bratzeit and Gustavo's are the only places that I have eaten at since May 29, but all should be open by June 26, possibly still with reduced seating. Most will probably have live music Friday and Saturday nights. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it is around the same distance to the downtown area and all the restaurants from either the Quality Inn or the Days Inn.

So know we just have to figure out if we will try to meet up Friday night, or Saturday afternoon/night.

I do remember that Kinsley recommended The Crimson Moon, when we had the HeleN Back Events.

12 hours ago, mikeR1100R said:

I just logged in to the forum last night after about a year’s absence due to a lot of family upheaval and relocation.  Georgi and I met Ken at the 2013 UN in Blowing Rock.  We would love to  be there but have obligations in the Northeast at that time.  We offer our sincere condolences to Ken’s family and friends.  

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your kind words. Hope you're able to make it to FART this fall. It would be good to see you and Georgi again. 

All,

I had a couple requests to make a list of when folks will be in Dahlonega. I don't yet know where many of you are staying. Please send me a PM with your arrival day and lodging and I'll update the list.

1277886567_GutenFahrt-Attendees.thumb.png.e2e776e34b6e7f02cdb3076a32b2ed0a.png

17 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Selden, is there anything you would recommend up by the Days Inn area?

It's a fairly steep uphill climb from downtown back to the Day's Inn. The closest eatery to Day's Inn is McDonald's, next closest are Dunkin Donuts/Moe's Southwest Grill, and Dairy Queen. By the time you go that far, you may as well go a few blocks more to the square.

image.thumb.png.f0ca22f9c2e879c8f6c21285baac70ba.png

The plan is to arrive Friday afternoon/evening, through Sunday morning, staying at Days Inn. Quality Inn.

:4907:

• Like 1

Ken and Bernie advised me that they would not carry me or my walker :old: up the hill. So we're now at the Quality Inn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Route Information.

Notes: 

• All routes are loops (which is different from our normal events, which usually have a leg to the lunch stop followed by a choice of routes back to the motel via different routes/lengths). 
  • Each route has a one or two possible lunch stops.  I've called these places or know them to be open (any changes to COVID regulations notwithstanding). 
  • This event is different in that the plan is to all arrive at the Gathering location prior to 2:00 pm.  People's riding pace, launch times, and lunch durations vary as always, so I had to make a few assumptions.

In order to guesstimate the timing to arrive at the Gathering location before 2:00 pm, I set a launch times from the Meet Up location (Lumpkin County High School), based on:

• A 1:15 min layover time (at the lunch stop)
  • Routing speeds are pretty much stock Basecamp speeds (which is generous). YMMV and Your Timing May Vary as well. Plan accordingly. (I assume no responsibility for your timing.)

Route Naming: 

• The 1st Parenthesis states the mileage.
  • The 2nd parenthesis is the recommended launch time. Adjust accordingly after you load up your routes in your GPS. 

Because there will be quite a few riding in on Sat morning, I focused on more shorter routes to give folks time to meet up and then break off into groups. Edit as you see fit.

I have included a goodly amount of WPTs for visiting the area:

• the Dahlonega lodging options
  • many blue flag "road" WPTs to help with editing or creating new routes
  • a few restaurant options
  • area wineries (though perhaps for another time when not on the bike)

Link to Dropbox will follow ... 969418759_Fahrt-RouteButton.png.f242c53201e4a54dc179e4fa050a44e5.png

1272399575_Fahrt-RouteNames.png.75da2f7a8854bf12b215e4a40bdd79d5.png354842383_Fahrt-RouteOverview.thumb.png.10e4c9950b5670ffcc576f0dbb0db585.png

1697030725_Fahrt-DahlonegaWPTS.thumb.png.984e985d9b5918950c6bdbb47607b142.png

• Thanks 3

Craig, for what it is worth, I live in Lilburn and will be riding up to Dahlonega on Saturday morning and heading back that afternoon.  Thanks again for doing this.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Craig, for what it is worth, I live in Lilburn and will be riding up to Dahlonega on Saturday morning and heading back that afternoon.  Thanks again for doing this.

Got it. Thanks! 

My wife and I will be at Bratzeit at 6:00 Friday. In January, João Chaves, the ringleader of the Friday night gearheads gathering at Bratzeit, estimated he had 25 motorcycles, mostly Yamahas and Ducatis, plus a 2019 Indian FTR 1200 that somehow snuck in with all the vintage bikes. At last estimate, he has 31, and he recently acquired a 20' storage container to use as a storage annex.

• Like 1

Download link for the route files worked great.

Thank you Craig for all the work and effort to making the routes. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Bernie said:

Download link for the route files worked great.

Thank you Craig for all the work and effort to making the routes. 

You're welcome. I enjoy making routes so it's really no trouble.

• Like 2

I'll drive up saturday.  After dinner I'll head home.  Ken was taken far too soon!

Marty

• Like 2
terryofperry

Craig, I plan to ride up Saturday for the overlook get together, staying Saturday night at the Quality Inn, home Sunday. Thanks for putting this together.

Terry

• Like 4

For those without GPSs, the button below opens the a dropbox folder with pdfs of written instructions. 

1352470891_Fahrt-WrittenRouteButton.png.6c32ff8b81334422e512251ed995b44d.png

Craig, I plan to come up on Saturday to the overlook, just for the day. Thanks for all the effort putting this together.

Keith

• Like 4

This is super short notice. Does anyone need a room mate. I was planning to day trip this but so many people are staying Friday and Saturday. I might change plans if I can share a room.

Thanks

Alan

roadscholar

37 minutes ago, Jake said:

C’mon down/up. The water is fine. TWoS is looking great as usual. 

64C8F5BC-00A9-4971-A877-5DFB19D49D4F.jpeg

Jake 6 or 7 CADS are staying at TWO tonight. They have dirt bikes, say hi to them in the morning before they take off.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jake said:

Will someone tell the guy staying in Neil Peart's cabin

20200625_192645.thumb.jpg.c6d00434324769a13d8017a801fcdb4e.jpg

to turn the Rush BACK UP?! It's a long way from that cabin to mine.

20200625_165733.thumb.jpg.017f4a897563ee85cc6b4cac4bfdc66a.jpg

• Like 9
5 hours ago, Jake said:

On the road again.

See you tonight!

• Like 4
11 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Jake 6 or 7 CADS are staying at TWO tonight. They have dirt bikes, say hi to them in the morning before they take off.

You know,  it’s interesting the looks one gets when you ask: “Are y’all friends with Bill Farren?”

It’s like I caught them doing something very bad, but very fun. 

• Haha 1

This week the Friday Night Gearheads have decided to meet at Cavender Creek winery instead of Bratzeit. I am concerned about the possible size of the crowd, and don't want to risk it. So, if you like Swiss German food, my wife and I will be at Bratzeit at 6:00. Even though the "usual suspects" won't be there, It's good to call ahead and make a reservation, as their outside deck has room only for ~12 people. They start closing down at 8:00, but 6:00 to 8:00 is plenty of time for a leisurely meal. Phone: 706-867-7741.

On Wednesday, I ate at Shenanigans, which has both a large "Florida room" and a covered outdoor deck, so it's another relatively safe place to eat. As with Bratzeit, there is absolutely no seating inside or at the bar.

I turned 74 yesterday, and to celebrate, I decided to replace the front disc pads and the 14-year old rubber brake line on the XT225. Some people really know how to have a good time.

• Like 4

Hey Jake thanks for the offer. Yesterday I was working remodeling my garage. I was out in the sun and got way too over heated. So today I feel like crap and don't want to get on the bike. I will try to make it down tomorrow and go from there.

Alan

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Foot said:

Hey Jake thanks for the offer. Yesterday I was working remodeling my garage. I was out in the sun and got way too over heated. So today I feel like crap and don't want to get on the bike. I will try to make it down tomorrow and go from there.

Heat stroke sucks. I had a motorcycle battery die on a hot day. Found a replacement, and installed it at an asphalt parking lot. I'm not sure how I made it home, but when I did,  I felt like crap. Put an ice pack on my forehead, and collapsed into bed for several hours. Hope you feel better by Saturday.

John Ranalletta

We rode from Dahlonega to Tellico, Helen, RBB and back.  So much traffic.  I've never before have seem so many bikes on the road.  Can't imagine what Deal's Gap looked like.

A driver wadded up a Porsche on 19 just north of Turner's Corner.  It was a two-car crash but don't know more.  Union Co. LEO's were sending traffic thru, alternating traffic.  As we waiting in line, cars were crashing behind us as the end of the southbound line we occupied was just around a fast sweeper.  No telling how many crashes happened after we got thru.

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

We rode from Dahlonega to Tellico, Helen, RBB and back.  So much traffic.  I've never before have seem so many bikes on the road.  Can't imagine what Deal's Gap looked like.

Was this today? The pandemic has generated a lot of pent-up demand for getting out of metro Atlanta on weekends.

I'm lucky enough to live here, so I avoid riding "for fun" on weekends, except for lesser-known back roads. I don't plan to participate in the group rides tomorrow, but if anybody wants to take the long way from LCHS to the intersection of Bus 19 and 60, this is an entertaining route. You won't see much traffic, even on a Saturday.

image.thumb.png.be36441bd4bc6045219744c375fad8fd.png

The turn off Oak Grove Road is "Wash Rider Road." A few weeks ago someone told me that back in the mid-20th century when zipcodes were being assigned, many of the roads in Lumpkin County did not have official names, so they used the names of people who lived on the roads, hence some interesting road names, many for old families like the Grindles, Grizzles, Jarrards, and Wimpys. 

John Ranalletta
2 minutes ago, Selden said:

Was this today? The pandemic has generated a lot of pent-up demand for getting out of metro Atlanta on weekends.

I'm lucky enough to live here, so I avoid riding "for fun" on weekends, except for lesser-known back roads. I don't plan to participate in the group rides tomorrow, but if anybody wants to take the long way from LCHS to the intersection of Bus 19 and 60, this is an entertaining route. You won't see much traffic, even on a Saturday.

image.thumb.png.be36441bd4bc6045219744c375fad8fd.png

The turn off Oak Grove Road is "Wash Rider Road." A few weeks ago someone told me that back in the mid-20th century when zipcodes were being assigned, many of the roads in Lumpkin County did not have official names, so they used the names of people who lived on the roads, hence some interesting road names, many for old families like the Grindles, Grizzles, Jarrards, and Wimpys. 

Yep.  Probably around 3:30p

The curse of being local. I thought "mid-morning" meant 11:00 a.m., so I went out early to forage for chanterelle mushrooms, which are abundant this summer, due to all the rain:

ChanterelleRoad.thumb.jpg.51014991decc7ffb02e685f36b1befcd.jpg

Came home, checked the tire pressures on the GS, and rode over to LCHS, which was empty at 11:00.

I hope all went well. Are there any plans for tonight? Anybody going to Shenanigans?

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

Thanks to everyone who had a hand in making this happen.  Good to renew and make new acquaintances.  Special thanks to Nikki.

Perhaps, it was no coincidence that the skies were darkened with dust from Africa, a continent from which Ken had arrived not so long ago.

• Like 3