IGNORED

Kinsley Rememberance Ride & Gathering

GutenFahrt.png.a5ec3ae882d7e0f69f29fd68df3e67c8.png

Note to Potential Attendees:  The attached PDF (Guten Fahrt (download).PDF) is an version of the above notice but in Black & White (no graphic) for easy printing. If you download it and simply use as a pdf, the arrows by the lodging options are hot links to the various websites. 

Guten Fahrt (download).pdf

Edited by greiffster
Fixed school name
  • Like 19

Yes thank you Craig, It would be wonderful if we can gather for a ride in memory and celebration of Ken's commitment to his fellow BMWST friends.   

@TyTass I love the thoughts you have under your post's signature.  They express what many of us on the BMWST board hope to accomplish!

"Spin a thread of precious contact
Squeeze in all that you can find
Spontaneous relations
And the long enduring kind"

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Endobobdds said:

I love the thoughts you have under your post's signature.  They express what many of us on the BMWST board hope to accomplish!

"Spin a thread of precious contact
Spontaneous relations
And the long enduring kind"

Those are a few lyrics from the song Time and Motion by the band Rush (lyrics by the late Neil Peart). 

The song is one of many written by Neil along a theme that of all things in life the most important are the connections we make and the love and respect we share. 

Time and motion
Wind and sun and rain
Days connect like boxcars in a train

Fill them up with precious cargo
Spontaneous elation
And the long-enduring kind

• Like 6

OK, things have firmed up as much as I can know given the current environment and not knowing how many people to expect. 

So here is the current plan:

The event will resemble a BMWST event as Ken would have planned (except no room block or group meal).

• Date:  Saturday, June 27th.
  • Ride Meet-Up Location:  Lumpkin Valley High School Athletic Field Parking Lot (Dahlonega GA)
  • Meet-Up Time:  Up to rider groups formed (independently) and routes chosen
  • Routes of a variety of directions and distances to be provided soon 
  • Remembrance Gathering Location:  Two options depending on the number of people in attendance. (The properties may require that we observe social distancing practices, so know that in advance.)
  • Remembrance Gathering Time:  2:00 pm (to be firmed up later)  (the goal is to allow time for people to schedule a meal prior to the Gathering)
  • The "event" will end after the Gathering (60-90 minutes). 

Note about Hotel Options:

• I will provide a list of Lodging options in the area in the final announcement (coming soon). For now, know that there are the usual chain hotel options (Holiday Inn Express, Days Inn, etc) as well and a number of smaller historic Inns and B&Bs.  Not terribly adistant is Amicola Falls State Park & Lodge. Two Wheels of Suches Motorcycle Campground is within 30 minutes ride of Dahlonega (and is at altitude so is much cooler).

What I need to have an idea of is the number of people who think it's likely they might attend. Please respond with intentions. Thanks to all. 

• Like 9
1 hour ago, TyTass said:

OK, things have firmed up as much as I can know given the current environment and not knowing how many people to expect. 

So here is the current plan:

The event will resemble a BMWST event as Ken would have planned (except no room block or group meal).

• Date:  Saturday, June 27th.
  • Ride Meet-Up Location:  Lumpkin Valley High School Athletic Field Parking Lot (Dahlonega GA)

What I need to have an idea of is the number of people who think it's likely they might attend. Please respond with intentions. Thanks to all. 

Thanks for putting this together. Sheesh, I live 5 miles away. There is no possible way, other than testing positive for COVID-19, that I can say no. My 74th birthday will be June 25. My wife and I may or may not throw a joint birthday party on June 27.

Except for the mismatch between alcohol and riding, an "Irish wake" might be appropriate, but if you stay over Saturday night, that isn't an issue.  I have a bottle of 120-proof bourbon from Zac Brown Distillery, made before they closed. :4323: 

image.thumb.png.3860f885817b059b08cc16fccd609e41.png

The Quality Inn, 619 N Grove St, Dahlonega, GA 30533, is only 1.5 miles away. We used them for our daughter's wedding. Basic Quality Inn, no complaints. Also Bratzeit, a Swiss-German restaurant, is only about 3 miles away. They have a deck for outside dining. Unlike almost anything in Helen Bratzeit is the real deal.

If anybody needs a place to stay, PM me for Friday or Saturday night. In order of priority, we have an enclosed garage with plenty of tools (and lots of space since I sold the RT), a guest room with a full bed on the main floor, and a futon upstairs. Both have access to their own bathrooms. I may go "Turkish style" and put my hand over my heart rather than shake your hand, but other than that, guests are welcome. Phone (which works some of the time) 706-300-0743.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, Selden said:

Thanks for putting this together. Sheesh, I live 5 miles away. There is no possible way, other than testing positive for COVID-19, that I can say no. My 74th birthday will be June 25. My wife and I may or may not throw a joint birthday party on June 27.

Except for the mismatch between alcohol and riding, an "Irish wake" might be appropriate, but if you stay over Saturday night, that isn't an issue.  I have a bottle of 120-proof bourbon from Zac Brown Distillery, made before they closed. :4323: 

image.thumb.png.3860f885817b059b08cc16fccd609e41.png

The Quality Inn, 619 N Grove St, Dahlonega, GA 30533, is only 1.5 miles away. We used them for our daughter's wedding. Basic Quality Inn, no complaints. Also Bratzeit, a Swiss-German restaurant, is only about 3 miles away. They have a deck for outside dining. Unlike almost anything in Helen Bratzeit is the real deal.

If anybody needs a place to stay, PM me for Friday or Saturday night. In order of priority, we have an enclosed garage with plenty of tools (and lots of space since I sold the RT), a guest room with a full bed on the main floor, and a futon upstairs. Both have access to their own bathrooms. I may go "Turkish style" and put my hand over my heart rather than shake your hand, but other than that, guests are welcome. Phone (which works some of the time) 706-300-0743.

Thanks Selden. Those are very nice offers and great information, too.   I appreciate the help.  I'm thinking even some of us from ATL may come up an stay in town just to eliminate the 1.5-2 hour ride up/back.  

Are there any transportation in town like Uber, Lyft, or taxis?

(I knew you lived in that area roughly, but not right there!) 

• Like 1

Thank you Craig for planning this.

If I somehow can make it, I really would like to be there.

And I bring a Mask!

And I may bring a tent and a sleeping bag.

• Like 6

IN     In my eagerness to be a part of this gathering to honor Ken, I failed to consult my calendar, so I'll have to wait till FART.  I already have reservations at TWO and a different event for that date.  

Ride safe, everyone!

• Like 6
Calvin  (no socks)

Ya'll know me.. I'm not much on planning... I usually just show up unannounced, be it 50 or 2500 miles. I'll be there. 

• Like 8
6 minutes ago, Calvin (no socks) said:

Ya'll know me.. I'm not much on planning... I usually just show up unannounced, be it 50 or 2500 miles. I'll be there. 

Yeah, we know! :classic_laugh:

Actually no worries at all. Just looking for approximate numbers.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, TyTass said:

Thanks Selden. Those are very nice offers and great information, too.   I appreciate the help.  I'm thinking even some of us from ATL may come up an stay in town just to eliminate the 1.5-2 hour ride up/back.  

Are there any transportation in town like Uber, Lyft, or taxis?

I have never needed Lyft or Uber, but I assume they operate here. The only taxi service I am familiar with is Paddy's Taxi, 1963 Clay Creek Falls Rd, Dahlonega  TEL: (706) 300-7143 

Paddy's is about 2.4 miles from where we live, and about 3.4 miles from Lumpkin County HS.

A sushi place, Hoka Hoka, is adjacent to the Quality Inn, and it's less than a mile downhill walk to downtown Dahlonega, where most of the restaurants should be open by June 27.

The invitation to stay over is serious: After 2 months of social distancing, we're desperate for new people to talk with.

QualityInn.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
RandyShields
1 hour ago, KDeline said:

Kate and I will be there.

Good. I want to compare your 1,000,000 mile award from the MOA to my recently received 100,000 award to see if they really look much different.

• Like 3
On 5/20/2020 at 6:24 AM, BamaJohn said:

IN     In my eagerness to be a part of this gathering to honor Ken, I failed to consult my calendar, so I'll have to wait till FART.  I already have reservations at TWO and a different event for that date.  

Ride safe, everyone!

This is embarrassing...as the song goes:  first you say you will, and then you won't....then you say you do, and then you don't...."   Today, a way to make it to BOTH events came to light...SO I AM IN AGAIN FOR THIS.   My final answer!  See ya there!

• Like 4
12 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

This is embarrassing...as the song goes:  first you say you will, and then you won't....then you say you do, and then you don't...."   Today, a way to make it to BOTH events came to light...SO I AM IN AGAIN FOR THIS.   My final answer!  See ya there!

Until your plans change again … Yay! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think I have some extra bourbon to swill. 

I think there is a spot of grass at TWoS calling me. 

I think you can count me as intending to be in.

• Like 5
On 5/21/2020 at 8:41 PM, BamaJohn said:

Good on ya. TWoS is only 15 very interesting miles from Lumpkin County High School.

• Like 3

Here's a link the Ken Video and information about making a In memoriam gift for those so inclined.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • greiffster featured and unfeatured this topic
  • greiffster featured and pinned this topic

Note: It's "Lumpkin County High School", not "Lumpkin Valley High School." Anybody trying to find the latter will have a difficult time.

Address: 2001 Indian Dr, Dahlonega, GA 30533

image.thumb.png.416e1980d38f3f0e129a80b308fd9eeb.png

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Selden said:

Note: It's "Lumpkin County High School", not "Lumpkin Valley High School." Anybody trying to find the latter will have a difficult time.

Address: 2001 Indian Dr, Dahlonega, GA 30533

Ooops!  :4317: I'll change the graphic and the PDF.  :5170:

I'm pretty certain that given there is one High School in Dahlonega and only one with a name even remotely close to that in the region, the difficulty would be a short lived one. And if not? Well, it's likely that person would have greater challenges than this one on a routine basis. :4607:

Here is another local tidbit for people coming up on Friday. Bratzeit has an informal gathering of gearheads Fridays, roughly 6:00 to 8:00. At this time, Bratzeit has outdoor seating only. They are very scrupulous about infection control during the pandemic. Easy walk from Quality Inn.

image.thumb.png.9aeac5f3db025369c50a03ebf8b4aec6.png

image.thumb.png.7660fb39d208e57b61d11ff2dfcb39f0.png

• Thanks 1

So far a total of 40-ish people have stated a desire to attend. Of these:

• 8 are "Maybe INs"
  • 2 are Ken's friends not on BMWST (so far)

Selden may be able to elaborate further, but I believe that puts us well past capacity for any restaurant/catering facility for a group meal (given the COVID rules for restaurants), which is what I suspected and why I thought it best not to try to coordinate a group meal.  Too many unknowns about capacity. 

So, we can simply eat the same way we ride ... in small independent groups!

:18:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TyTass said:

So far a total of 40-ish people have stated a desire to attend. Of these:

• 8 are "Maybe INs"
  • 2 are Ken's friends not on BMWST (so far)

Selden may be able to elaborate further, but I believe that puts us well past capacity for any restaurant/catering facility for a group meal (given the COVID rules for restaurants), which is what I suspected and why I thought it best not to try to coordinate a group meal.  Too many unknowns about capacity. 

So, we can simply eat the same way we ride ... in small independent groups!

:18:

If you have me as a maybe, you can change it to IN.  Thanks.

• Like 2

I am in the process of making my routes . 

Also hoping to push the installation of a boiler into the week following the event.

No reservation made yet, but I am not worried about that.

• Like 1