TyTass

Kinsley Rememberance Ride & Gathering

TyTass

To all fellow friends of Ken Insley,

A ride is being planned to celebrate Ken's contributions to this community and to us as friends. Very few details are set in stone at the moment, but I thought I'd get the word out that such an event will take place. I'm shooting for late June, but there is no guarantee at the moment. 

The event will resemble a BMWST event as Ken would have planned.

• There will be a meet up location to begin
  • That location will have plenty of lodging within 15 miles.
  • There will however be no room block reserved for the group. You'll need to choose your own lodging.
  • There will be multiple routes for attendees to groups as they wish and ride as their hearts desire (as Ken would have done)
  • There will be a destination and time set for us to gather and share memories of Ken (hopefully weather and lockdown measures cooperate)
  • The "event" will end after the Gathering (early-mid afternoon). 
  • It will almost certainly be in Northern GA 

I will keep everyone posted.  

If you are unable to make this event, don't worry … we will certainly have time at FART 2020 to celebrate our friend Ken. 

• Like 17

Bernie

Thank you, Craig!

• Like 2

Endobobdds

Yes thank you Craig, It would be wonderful if we can gather for a ride in memory and celebration of Ken's commitment to his fellow BMWST friends.   

@TyTass I love the thoughts you have under your post's signature.  They express what many of us on the BMWST board hope to accomplish!

"Spin a thread of precious contact
Squeeze in all that you can find
Spontaneous relations
And the long enduring kind"

• Like 1

TyTass
16 minutes ago, Endobobdds said:

I love the thoughts you have under your post's signature.  They express what many of us on the BMWST board hope to accomplish!

"Spin a thread of precious contact
Spontaneous relations
And the long enduring kind"

Those are a few lyrics from the song Time and Motion by the band Rush (lyrics by the late Neil Peart). 

The song is one of many written by Neil along a theme that of all things in life the most important are the connections we make and the love and respect we share. 

Time and motion
Wind and sun and rain
Days connect like boxcars in a train

Fill them up with precious cargo
Spontaneous elation
And the long-enduring kind

• Like 6

scout6

Thanks for doing this.

• Like 2

Indy Dave

447230892_KenMostinterestingman-bmw.thumb.jpg.e18280187290dc8d74594011bab371a4.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Whip

Thanks for setting this up. I will do my best to be there.

• Like 2

TyTass

OK, things have firmed up as much as I can know given the current environment and not knowing how many people to expect. 

So here is the current plan:

The event will resemble a BMWST event as Ken would have planned (except no room block or group meal).

• Date:  Saturday, June 27th.
  • Ride Meet-Up Location:  Lumpkin Valley High School Athletic Field Parking Lot (Dahlonega GA)
  • Meet-Up Time:  Up to rider groups formed (independently) and routes chosen
  • Routes of a variety of directions and distances to be provided soon 
  • Remembrance Gathering Location:  Two options depending on the number of people in attendance. (The properties may require that we observe social distancing practices, so know that in advance.)
  • Remembrance Gathering Time:  2:00 pm (to be firmed up later)  (the goal is to allow time for people to schedule a meal prior to the Gathering)
  • The "event" will end after the Gathering (60-90 minutes). 

Note about Hotel Options:

• I will provide a list of Lodging options in the area in the final announcement (coming soon). For now, know that there are the usual chain hotel options (Holiday Inn Express, Days Inn, etc) as well and a number of smaller historic Inns and B&Bs.  Not terribly adistant is Amicola Falls State Park & Lodge. Two Wheels of Suches Motorcycle Campground is within 30 minutes ride of Dahlonega (and is at altitude so is much cooler).

What I need to have an idea of is the number of people who think it's likely they might attend. Please respond with intentions. Thanks to all. 

• Like 9

Indy Dave

IN! Thanks so much Craig and others for your hard work on this! :clap:

• Like 1

Selden
1 hour ago, TyTass said:

OK, things have firmed up as much as I can know given the current environment and not knowing how many people to expect. 

So here is the current plan:

The event will resemble a BMWST event as Ken would have planned (except no room block or group meal).

• Date:  Saturday, June 27th.
  • Ride Meet-Up Location:  Lumpkin Valley High School Athletic Field Parking Lot (Dahlonega GA)

What I need to have an idea of is the number of people who think it's likely they might attend. Please respond with intentions. Thanks to all. 

Thanks for putting this together. Sheesh, I live 5 miles away. There is no possible way, other than testing positive for COVID-19, that I can say no. My 74th birthday will be June 25. My wife and I may or may not throw a joint birthday party on June 27.

Except for the mismatch between alcohol and riding, an "Irish wake" might be appropriate, but if you stay over Saturday night, that isn't an issue.  I have a bottle of 120-proof bourbon from Zac Brown Distillery, made before they closed. :4323: 

image.thumb.png.3860f885817b059b08cc16fccd609e41.png

The Quality Inn, 619 N Grove St, Dahlonega, GA 30533, is only 1.5 miles away. We used them for our daughter's wedding. Basic Quality Inn, no complaints. Also Bratzeit, a Swiss-German restaurant, is only about 3 miles away. They have a deck for outside dining. Unlike almost anything in Helen Bratzeit is the real deal.

If anybody needs a place to stay, PM me for Friday or Saturday night. In order of priority, we have an enclosed garage with plenty of tools (and lots of space since I sold the RT), a guest room with a full bed on the main floor, and a futon upstairs. Both have access to their own bathrooms. I may go "Turkish style" and put my hand over my heart rather than shake your hand, but other than that, guests are welcome. Phone (which works some of the time) 706-300-0743.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wbw6cos

IN!

Oh, and thanks to all for doing this.

• Like 4

greiffster

IN, thanks Craig.

• Like 5

TyTass
52 minutes ago, Selden said:

Thanks for putting this together. Sheesh, I live 5 miles away. There is no possible way, other than testing positive for COVID-19, that I can say no. My 74th birthday will be June 25. My wife and I may or may not throw a joint birthday party on June 27.

Except for the mismatch between alcohol and riding, an "Irish wake" might be appropriate, but if you stay over Saturday night, that isn't an issue.  I have a bottle of 120-proof bourbon from Zac Brown Distillery, made before they closed. :4323: 

image.thumb.png.3860f885817b059b08cc16fccd609e41.png

The Quality Inn, 619 N Grove St, Dahlonega, GA 30533, is only 1.5 miles away. We used them for our daughter's wedding. Basic Quality Inn, no complaints. Also Bratzeit, a Swiss-German restaurant, is only about 3 miles away. They have a deck for outside dining. Unlike almost anything in Helen Bratzeit is the real deal.

If anybody needs a place to stay, PM me for Friday or Saturday night. In order of priority, we have an enclosed garage with plenty of tools (and lots of space since I sold the RT), a guest room with a full bed on the main floor, and a futon upstairs. Both have access to their own bathrooms. I may go "Turkish style" and put my hand over my heart rather than shake your hand, but other than that, guests are welcome. Phone (which works some of the time) 706-300-0743.

Thanks Selden. Those are very nice offers and great information, too.   I appreciate the help.  I'm thinking even some of us from ATL may come up an stay in town just to eliminate the 1.5-2 hour ride up/back.  

Are there any transportation in town like Uber, Lyft, or taxis?

(I knew you lived in that area roughly, but not right there!) 

• Like 1

RandyShields

Craig, thanks for all your efforts.  I plan to attend.

Randy

• Like 5

Bernie

Thank you Craig for planning this.

If I somehow can make it, I really would like to be there.

And I bring a Mask!

And I may bring a tent and a sleeping bag.

• Like 6

MikeB60

Thanks Craig, DyAnne and I will be there.

• Like 6

BMW_Ken

I will try and make it.

Thanks.

• Like 6

BamaJohn

IN     In my eagerness to be a part of this gathering to honor Ken, I failed to consult my calendar, so I'll have to wait till FART.  I already have reservations at TWO and a different event for that date.  

Ride safe, everyone!

• Like 6

Rockosmith

I plan to attend as well.  Thanks to all who are putting this together.

• Like 6

Calvin  (no socks)

Ya'll know me.. I'm not much on planning... I usually just show up unannounced, be it 50 or 2500 miles. I'll be there. 

• Like 8

TyTass
6 minutes ago, Calvin (no socks) said:

Ya'll know me.. I'm not much on planning... I usually just show up unannounced, be it 50 or 2500 miles. I'll be there. 

Yeah, we know! :classic_laugh:

Actually no worries at all. Just looking for approximate numbers.

• Like 2

Foot

Count me in !

• Like 8

Selden
18 hours ago, TyTass said:

Thanks Selden. Those are very nice offers and great information, too.   I appreciate the help.  I'm thinking even some of us from ATL may come up an stay in town just to eliminate the 1.5-2 hour ride up/back.  

Are there any transportation in town like Uber, Lyft, or taxis?

I have never needed Lyft or Uber, but I assume they operate here. The only taxi service I am familiar with is Paddy's Taxi, 1963 Clay Creek Falls Rd, Dahlonega  TEL: (706) 300-7143 

Paddy's is about 2.4 miles from where we live, and about 3.4 miles from Lumpkin County HS.

A sushi place, Hoka Hoka, is adjacent to the Quality Inn, and it's less than a mile downhill walk to downtown Dahlonega, where most of the restaurants should be open by June 27.

The invitation to stay over is serious: After 2 months of social distancing, we're desperate for new people to talk with.

QualityInn.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

KDeline

Kate and I will be there.

• Like 6

RandyShields
1 hour ago, KDeline said:

Kate and I will be there.

Good. I want to compare your 1,000,000 mile award from the MOA to my recently received 100,000 award to see if they really look much different.

• Like 3

Burt

IN.  Thanks for organizing this. 

• Like 5

BamaJohn
On 5/20/2020 at 6:24 AM, BamaJohn said:

IN     In my eagerness to be a part of this gathering to honor Ken, I failed to consult my calendar, so I'll have to wait till FART.  I already have reservations at TWO and a different event for that date.  

Ride safe, everyone!

This is embarrassing...as the song goes:  first you say you will, and then you won't....then you say you do, and then you don't...."   Today, a way to make it to BOTH events came to light...SO I AM IN AGAIN FOR THIS.   My final answer!  See ya there!

• Like 4

TyTass
12 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

This is embarrassing...as the song goes:  first you say you will, and then you won't....then you say you do, and then you don't...."   Today, a way to make it to BOTH events came to light...SO I AM IN AGAIN FOR THIS.   My final answer!  See ya there!

Until your plans change again … Yay! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

lawnchairboy

Depends on call schedule...

• Like 2

scout6

Susan and I will be there.

• Like 4

Jake

I think I have some extra bourbon to swill. 

I think there is a spot of grass at TWoS calling me. 

I think you can count me as intending to be in.

• Like 3

Selden
On 5/21/2020 at 8:41 PM, BamaJohn said:

Good on ya. TWoS is only 15 very interesting miles from Lumpkin County High School.

• Like 3

John Ranalletta

2 In tentatively.

Thanks for this.

• Like 3

lawnchairboy

Out: call schedule doesn’t work.

• Sad 2

Indy Dave

Here's a link the Ken Video and information about making a In memoriam gift for those so inclined.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1