IGNORED

Starting problems

Budgie UK

Budgie UK

I own a Grinnall Scorpion 3 which is powered by a BMW K1300s (2010) engine. 

Came around for MOT last week and I went to start the motor it was spinning the engine rapidly soci don't think it's a battery issue but it wouldn't start.

After several attempts it fired up but it sounded rattley for a few seconds and soon settled down. I drove to the test station and it was fine. All the power was there and it ran beautifully. At the test station it did it again. 

Could this be a Crankshaft sensor problem?

IMG_20190629_101620.jpg

dirtrider
1 hour ago, Budgie UK said:

I own a Grinnall Scorpion 3 which is powered by a BMW K1300s (2010) engine. 

Came around for MOT last week and I went to start the motor it was spinning the engine rapidly soci don't think it's a battery issue but it wouldn't start.

After several attempts it fired up but it sounded rattley for a few seconds and soon settled down. I drove to the test station and it was fine. All the power was there and it ran beautifully. At the test station it did it again. 

Could this be a Crankshaft sensor problem?

Morning Budgie UK

Sure it COULD be a Crankshaft sensor problem? But it could also be many other things, even water in the petrol. 

Budgie UK

Scorpion is stored in a garage when not used. Wondering if my gs911 tester will highlight the problem?

dirtrider
7 minutes ago, Budgie UK said:

Scorpion is stored in a garage when not used. Wondering if my gs911 tester will highlight the problem?

Afternoon  Budgie UK

Where it was stored might not make much difference if added fuel with water in it at a petrol station. 

Yes, put your GS-911 on it to see if you have any stored failure codes. (might point to something)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found my tester. Car kept failing to start when it went for MOT. The man at the garage said it sounded like the Crankshaft sensor was faulty. But no fault came up when gs911 was plugged in. So heck knows what the problem was?? 

• 4 months later...

When you push the starter you here the starter motor? There is a clutch that engages the motor it may be gummed up. Try changing the oil. Add some seaform(engine declogger) to the oil prior to the change run it for 30 min or so then drop the oil and filter then replace both.