IGNORED

Who will trade his/her LT for the GT?

ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW

i sit here pondering just that

i have a 2002 K1200LT and really love the new GT

i guess the question for me is this:

- will the new GT be enough "LT" for my wife (Carol) and enough "S" for me?

any thoughts?

The only way to find out if a bike is right (for both of you) is to buy it and ride it for a season.

Took me that long to be sure about a K12RS (from a K75RT)

Wife likes the new one better too. thumbsup.gif

ClearwaterBMW

that's why i was afraid of

i love the LT, and i'm afraid that carol will never be as comfortable on that KGT

chrisolson

I can guarantee you the LT will be more comfortable for her - its all in the seat ( the motorcycle, not hers blush.gif ) and the backrest - big is good. The GT will be much more fun for the rider!

i love the LT, and i'm afraid that carol will never be as comfortable on that KGT

I think you answered your own question! The LT appears to be the bike for you!

Greg,

Carol will be able to participate more in the ride on the GT.

Instead of sitting back like most do on the LT pillion and going along for the ride she can actively move and foster a better riding experience.

Beth and I have progressed from me asking her to remain consistent in position and look over my shoulder to communicating on the Autocom about knee pressure and footpeg pressure.

She enjoys this much more and it keeps the pillion mentally in the game.

The GT is very smooth, very fast, and lots of fun.

Go for it.

Besides, if it doesn't work out you can get a new LT with the cool centerstand. grin.gif

wrestleantares

Keep the LT, the GT is not as comfortable a bike for the SO. Get a Triumph Speed Triple in your stable as your fun mount. They are very cheap used, and miles of fun. Plus you get to own two quirky bits of engineering rather than just one.

usmctpdog

No Way I am giving up my 05 LT. I have the best of both worlds with the LT and my 03 DL1000 V-Strom as ALL round Street sport bike

ClearwaterBMW
Greg,

Carol will be able to participate more in the ride on the GT.

Instead of sitting back like most do on the LT pillion and going along for the ride she can actively move and foster a better riding experience.

Beth and I have progressed from me asking her to remain consistent in position and look over my shoulder to communicating on the Autocom about knee pressure and footpeg pressure.

She enjoys this much more and it keeps the pillion mentally in the game.

The GT is very smooth, very fast, and lots of fun.

Go for it.

Besides, if it doesn't work out you can get a new LT with the cool centerstand. grin.gif

thanks for the reply, my friend

i think you are 100% correct as carol DOES get bored on the LT

well, i think i am beginning to see the light

thanks for the reply

ClearwaterBMW
Keep the LT, the GT is not as comfortable a bike for the SO. Get a Triumph Speed Triple in your stable as your fun mount. They are very cheap used, and miles of fun. Plus you get to own two quirky bits of engineering rather than just one.

here's something that might surprise a few of you

IF i don't trade the LT on the GT...

i will probably buy the new Kawasaki ZX-14.....

and i'm not kidding

quite frankly..... besides the insurance cost...

the zx-14 will cost me EXACTLY the same amount as trading my 2002 LT on the new GT

so,

therein lies my quandry

ClearwaterBMW
No Way I am giving up my 05 LT. I have the best of both worlds with the LT and my 03 DL1000 V-Strom as ALL round Street sport bike

the 2002 LT is not the same as the 2005... for a lot of reason

however, that being said.... the 2002 LT is worth more to ME than anyone else (as per resale/kelly blue value).... that complicates the decision for me

and.....

i do HAVE my 2005 GS.... that i absolutely love and will keep forever... for fun riding.... and it IS fun

Greg

There's your answer! I have a similar situation. I have an '05 RT with 5K miles. It will cost $22,500 OTD for a new GT. The deal will probably give me $11K for the RT. That's a changeover cost of... well you can do the math as well as I.

I daresay the LT wold be a better touring bike than the GT will ever be (aside from being a little down on power, and perhaps not as quick in the twisties). But, for 99% of two-up touring, you won't notice whether you've got 152hp or 100hp. But you will notice the close-to-200hp that the ZX-14 pounds out, and you are probably financially better off. Your LT won't drop much (if any) on what it's worth today, and if you can procure a zx-14 OTD for around $12K, it probably won't drop much below eight or nine grand. Total depreciation: three grand tops. Trade in the LT on the GT, and watch $22.5K OTD turn into a value of $15K after one year. A drop of... well, you can do the math!

Get it in red to match your jacket, and never look back! thumbsup.gif

ClearwaterBMW
Greg

There's your answer! I have a similar situation. I have an '05 RT with 5K miles. It will cost $22,500 OTD for a new GT. The deal will probably give me $11K for the RT. That's a changeover cost of... well you can do the math as well as I.

I daresay the LT wold be a better touring bike than the GT will ever be (aside from being a little down on power, and perhaps not as quick in the twisties). But, for 99% of two-up touring, you won't notice whether you've got 152hp or 100hp. But you will notice the close-to-200hp that the ZX-14 pounds out, and you are probably financially better off. Your LT won't drop much (if any) on what it's worth today, and if you can procure a zx-14 OTD for around $12K, it probably won't drop much below eight or nine grand. Total depreciation: three grand tops. Trade in the LT on the GT, and watch $22.5K OTD turn into a value of $15K after one year. A drop of... well, you can do the math!

Get it in red to match your jacket, and never look back! thumbsup.gif

i am SO happy that you posted these remarks, because i really concur with you, but i was afraid to talk about the ZX-14 here as there aren't many folks on this FINE forum who would find that bike the least bit enticing.....

of course, i might be wrong about that

thanks so much

If you trade the LT for the GT, you lose 200lbs of hippo right off the bat. Do you want a SPORT touring bike or the full boat. After looking @ the GT, I can't imagine your SO wouldn't be happy on the back, in fact she may want to drive! wink.gif

hANNAbONE
i am SO happy that you posted these remarks, because i really concur with you, but i was afraid to talk about the ZX-14 here as there aren't many folks on this FINE forum who would find that bike the least bit enticing.....

of course, i might be wrong about that thanks so much

uH...i pERSONALLY think the new ZX-14 is going to be a sure fire hit...as soon as they retire the Concours, and throw some hard bags and make the ZX14 their bahnsturmer...only a matter of time.

Maybe this board will have to have a whole new segment for all the FJR's and the ZX14's.

I'm seriously thinking about the new Kawa.!!

ClearwaterBMW

of course, i might be wrong about that thanks so much

uH...i pERSONALLY think the new ZX-14 is going to be a sure fire hit...as soon as they retire the Concours, and throw some hard bags and make the ZX14 their bahnsturmer...only a matter of time.

Maybe this board will have to have a whole new segment for all the FJR's and the ZX14's.

I'm seriously thinking about the new Kawa.!!

really?

that is very cool

here are 2 forums where the bike is currently being discussed:

http://www.zx14ninja.com/phpbb2/index.php

http://www.bikeland.org/board/forumdisplay.php?FID=27

My plan is to wait a few more years for BMW to iron out any bugs in the bike. I'll lurk on various sites to learn more about the new GT and then do some test rides.

Having already bought a new BMW RT and taken a serious depreciation hit blush.gif, there's no way I'll ever buy new again. I snagged my '04 KRS with 1200 miles for 62% of its retail value even after factoring in extra options, transport costs, and sales tax & licensing fees.

If I like the GT I'll sell my RT and KRS and, hopefully, have enough cash to buy it outright AND free up some space in the garage.

Anyway, that's the plan for now. thumbsup.gif

ClearwaterBMW
"... as there aren't many folks on this FINE forum who would find that bike the least bit enticing.....

of course, i might be wrong about that..."

Yep. You might just be! >>>Check this discussion.<<< thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

cool.gif

thanks for that link

i really appreciate it

Randy,

Good plan, but I might ask, what bugs?

This motor and platform is already out for a year.

Essentially the only new components would be the adjustable bars.

Best wishes.

Randy,

Good plan, but I might ask, what bugs?

This motor and platform is already out for a year.

Essentially the only new components would be the adjustable bars.

Best wishes.

It seems like there's always some bugaboo in a new model of anything. I don't like to perpetuate stereotypes or "old wive's tales" but I can't shake my gut feeling and my gut tells me to wait a bit and learn from new owners.

That being said I visited the local dealer Friday night and saw the KGT. Oh.....MY......God. I love the new adjustable handlebars and just about everythign else about the bike. I'm trying to wean myself off fully-faired bikes though which makes this a tough decision. I'm thinking that I'll stick with my previous approach BUT, after acquiring a perviously owned KGT I'll probably sell my Ducati 907 and get a Monster SR4.

One interesting point I'd like to relay to all of you is I immediately noticed some heel scuff marks on the right side luggage cover. I mentioned this to the GM and he told me it's nearly impossible to mount the bike without doing that. I didn't attempt to mount the bike as it was already sold and in the service area awaiting a little tweaking but I find it hard to believe his comment. I'd welcome anyone else's opinion and would like to hear from KGT owners!

chrisolson

I immediately noticed some heel scuff marks on the right side luggage cover
Yep, its damn hard not to hit it - not so much getting on - 'cause your looking at it - but getting off its real easy to forget to swing a little higher. Practice, practice, practice (i.e. ride more) and the issue goes away!

A little patch of "invisishield" on the paint will help, not much can be done for the flat black portion.

Well some of us can get on and off without a problem.

Dang bike's saddle is too low. grin.gif

Good question. I'm selling my '03 Road Glide and seriously considering a new K12GT. The bike is a knock out (IMHO).

I went up to South Sound BMW to test ride the R12RT. Did that and enjoyed the ride. Then I saw the K12GT sitting in the showroom. Couldn't sit on it as it was sold. But I loved the look.

I was in New Hampshire last weekend and stopped by SecondWind BMW. They had a K12GT in the showroom and the owner kindly allowed me to sit on it. It fits. And with the handlebars in the mid position.

The dealer in Eugene had one unsold and I contacted them today to put a deposit on the bike to hold it. A blue one.

I hope it works out!

Archived