IGNORED

1200gt reserve?

m_gordona

m_gordona

Hello! I got a new (to me) used 1200gt. Its an 04 model and I love the bike, but does anyone know how big the reserve tank is on this bike? It came on at only 135 miles, is something wrong.

thanks,

mike

Limecreek

The most I'd dare go after the light came on was 40 miles. The reserve light would pop on between 140-165 depending on how spirited my riding was.

mike,

tank is 5.4 gal. so see how much it takes as soon as light comes on.

Could be misadjusted and you can correct at 24k when fuel filter is replaced.

Depending on riding and location, 32-38 is typical for me esp. when 2 up w/bags. 160-70 is good for me to low fuel light coming on.

I've had it on at 118 miles so there are a lot of variables.

Is this bike part of the ECU replacement vin series?

If so, was it done?

Carnadero
Hello! I got a new (to me) used 1200gt. Its an 04 model and I love the bike, but does anyone know how big the reserve tank is on this bike? It came on at only 135 miles, is something wrong.

According to the BMW service manual CD, "reserve" is 1.06 gallons (2002 K1200RS, yours will probably be similar).

Fill up the tank several more times, reset the tripodo each time you fill up and take note of exactly when the yellow pump light comes on, and what kind of driving you've been mostly doing. Typically, lots of city driving, light comes on sooner. Lots of stretches on a long ride, light comes on not so soon.

For my machine, 180 miles is about the average before the "Get gas!" light illuminates. This is a combination of in-city and freeway routes. I'll get a better handle on long trip range the first opportunity I get to take a long trip. Whenever that is. grin.gif

Mike, I drove the GT several times from LA to Tucson AZ. The first time out I got stuck at a rest area just under 135mi. Now that was at about 90mph constant. The tank is small (or the mileage poor) for the GT. Just keep in mind where the stations are. Plus, if you end up doing a lot of exploring out in the middle of nowhere, buy yourself one of the MSR fuel bottles at a sporting goods store. There are different sizes, don't leak, and imposible to break. Plus if you have a multi-fuel stove, you got coffee and diner options!

Dan

Mine comes on with 1.1 gallons left. I've gotten as high as 47 mpg running a steady 60 mph across northwest Nebraska (pretty flat). I've got Amsoil in the engine, tranny and rear drive.

The amount of gas kept in the tank for a reserve can be adjusted to whatever you want by any shop. Mine was set early in its life to BMW specs which i do not remember. But I can tell you that I get 200-225 on a tank, one up, at any speed. This was an increase from 180 after my ICU recall. That is also at 6K and above, which should mean less air so the bike adjusts to deliver less gas.

Just came back from a 2-day trip to AZ (from El Paso, TX), and got my best mileage ever. Yes, it was high country, but was kicking butt on over 110 miles of twisties (several on 1st gear, on 191), and up to 90 mph on the straights. Rode 216 miles with 1/4 still showing (fuel light shows up between 1/4 and empty). Put in exactly 4 gallons, which means 54 mpg. Just amazing.

Going up (El Paso is at 4K' altitude) I went all the way to Silver City on a tank (187 miles), also quite fast on the flat stuff (first 125 miles), then the tight Gila twisties after that. Needle was between 1/4 and 1/2. Put 3.7 gallons, or 50 mpg. And this is just before hitting 12K miles, that will see new plugs, and almost everything else. Valves checked in perfectly, by the way. And yes, I had the new ECU fitted some time ago, and basically the only difference I saw was increased mileage. Still hard-starts when started cold, but doesn't stall anymore. I'm impressed how well it's running.

I've always got great mileage (especially since the ECU change), but almost never let it fall below 1/2, due to the horror stories I read about its range. Now I know better. Take care.

Don't forget to factor in the cooling effect the gas has on the fuel pump. I only let things get low - into the reserve - when I can't stop for gas sooner.

That happens often enough on road trips, but on fun runs I'll stop sooner than I need. It's a PITA; every bike I've owned - with the exception of my Kawasaki Concours - carried too little gas for my style. I wish mfgs would wake up and smell the fumes! dopeslap.gif

Archived