IGNORED

Really Good Bluetooth Helmet Speaker

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

Good Day All,

I'm not pleased with the music sound quality of my U-Clear. I have been reviewing a lot of information on the internet such as 10 best lists and pros and cons. Have you come across any Bluetooth helmet speakers  capable of producing good music audio factoring in their size and ambient noise? I love my Etymotic ER6i but buds fall out and are uncomfortable to me on a long ride. Also, I am only interested in music so need a unit without or a removable microphone, Many thanks and be safe out there.

MB

Michiganr80rt

I use the U-clear Amp Pro and I am OK with the music sound quality. I do use foam earplugs to cut down the wind noise. 

MichiganBob

Thanks Michigan89rt. Good to hear that you are satisfied with the U-Clear. Mine is an older model and was their basic model. Maybe I need to dig a little deeper in the wallet for higher quality sound. I use foam earplugs as well. Got to protect those tiny little nerve endings -- they don't grow back if damaged.

B

Something to try for your ER6i earbuds.  Comply Replacement Earphone Tips.  These are foam tips that replace the rubber tips of your ER6i.  They act as a foam earplug but allow music to be heard through them. The tips are squeezed and rolled prior to insertion into your ear, as you would a foam earplug.  Once in your ear they expand to block ambient noise, as does a foam earplug.  This might make your use of your ER6i earbuds more comfortable on longer rides.  I heard about these through a forum, I cannot recall which one.  People seemed satisfied with the result.  

MichiganBob

Thanks Ron-M. I did not know about these. The website does not list the ER6i. Do you recall what you ordered?

Thanks.

B

The ER6i earbuds were great earbuds. Unfortunately they were discontinued years ago and I haven't been able to find any online anywhere as my last set went south 2 years ago. 

RPondaRoad

My last BT headset was UClear also.  It was an earlier HBC 100 and while the audio was "just ok", it was the poor communication to my pillion that got me to change.  I'm now using a Cardo Freecom 4+ with the JBL speakers and am very happy with it.  But, I'm not selling Cardo...there are others who enjoy their Sena's just as much.  I'm just adding my thoughts in response to you not wanting a microphone.  There's two things about having a mic that come to mind.  In today's headsets, the Bluetooth unit can be controlled with voice commands.  For instance, if I want to change songs I'm listening to, I just say" "Hey Cardo, next track", for volume up down, it's similar.  If I want to change from the playlist on my phone to the radio in my Bluetooth unit, I just say: "Hey Cardo, radio on".  It's easy and a lot safer than messing around finding and pushing buttons.  The last thing, and this is in one of those "...hope this never happens" categories.  If by chance you should have an accident in which you and your bike are separated with the phone attached to the bike, and you can't get to it, the ability to make a phone call from your helmet might get help to you sooner than waiting for a passerby.  

Michiganr80rt

To add to what I said earlier. I had the original U-Clear 100 for several years. The sound was marginal to acceptable. When I got a new Schuberth C3 helmet  I purchased the Sena 10U that integrated in the  C3. The sound was better than the old U-Clear but nothing to cheer about. Then the Sena died and I returned it and got the U-Clear Amp Pro. The Amp Pro sound was much better. Using earplugs helps a lot since I do not have to run the volume as high on the U-Clear. The sound is not audiophile quality but it works for me listening to music while I ride.

Bob,

I ordered the isolator 100 model.  I need to make a note here.  I too had the ER6i earphones for many years until they bit the dust.  Purchased the Etymoti Mk5 model.  $70.  A little bit different but real close to the ER6i earphones.  I tried the Mk5 model but they hurt too much.  So I put them in the drawer.  That was when I was making a hardwire connection into my Zumo 550 nav.with XM radio.  Sena and those products were in their infancy.  Move forward.  I have been using a Sena SMH10 for many years, using the helmet speakers and foam earplugs.  Has worked well for me.  Purchased a new 1250RT and heard about these earphone tips so I thought I would give them a try.  However, I thought I had a Sena helmet clamp that accepted the earphone connection, but I do not.   (I am going to purchase a new Sena in the near future.) Anyway., as a test, I installed the comply foam tips onto the Mk5 earphones.  I  rolled the foam tip that were now installed on the earphone, as  I would a foam earplug, and inserted them into my ears.  They expanded just like a foam earplug and you could hear the ambient noise go away.  In fact, when my wife spoke to me she was real muffled sounding.  And, they were comfortable.  I have not tried them on the motorcycle yet, but I do believe they will work.  I just thought I would throw this out to you as another option since you like your earphones.  Hope it helps.  

Ron

John Bentall
On 5/6/2020 at 6:16 PM, MichiganBob said:

Good Day All,

I'm not pleased with the music sound quality of my U-Clear. I have been reviewing a lot of information on the internet such as 10 best lists and pros and cons. Have you come across any Bluetooth helmet speakers  capable of producing good music audio factoring in their size and ambient noise? I love my Etymotic ER6i but buds fall out and are uncomfortable to me on a long ride. Also, I am only interested in music so need a unit without or a removable microphone, Many thanks and be safe out there.

MB

Here in the UK we can get these BT earbuds. Can you get something similar in the US as well?

MichiganBob

Got the Cardio Freedom 4 plus. Installation was easy. Paired right away with bike but I had to turn the bluetooth off the cell phone first. Not biggie. The JBL speakers are better than what I had before. Best of all is the voice controls. The less I have to manually mess with stuff, the more attention I can put on a safe ride. Thanks for all your suggestions, especially RPondaRoad.

MB

• Thanks 1
LittleBriar

I found the speakers that came with my Sena 20s to be poor quality and not very loud. I spoke to a Sena rep at the Lebanon rally last year and he acknowledged their deficiencies and suggested I upgrade the speakers to these. The sound quality is greatly improved and volume allows me to keep my earplugs in. They are about 50 bucks.

LittleBriar
On 5/21/2020 at 9:50 AM, Skywagon said:

LittleBriar...what did you do with existing speakers.  Did you cut them our or?

I just removed them from the velcro and unplugged them. I've still got them laying around someplace. Why? Do you want them?

Steve..no I don't need them...I just didn't remember they unplugged.  I was thinking of my old smh 10 instead of the 20s EVO.  I thought for a moment maybe just cut the wires and wired in new speakers.  Senior moment.

Overkill but PVP Communications https://www.pvpcom.com/ makes a bluetooth headset that pairs instantly and has speakers so strong that you don't want to run them at full volume even with earplugs in.  16 hour battery life and can be integrated with BMW Switchgear.  What is not to like?  The price.  Full kit is $1,200.  But damn they work great.

MichiganBob

Wowie Zowie -- the price point is startling James. I can see the need for such quality if it was part of how I make a living or used to keep me safe.  But for a casual rider and occasional trip,  it would be hard to justify. I imagine the quality and sound is stellar.

Take care,

MB

I may be late to this thread but I can say- my Sena SMH-20's world well and the sound was good. 

P.S. I did listen to music on one channel and Nav prompts on the other. 

P.P.S. I did not take a ride to listen to music- other than to the fine music of the the engine...