IGNORED

Brake fluid level

joeb

Hi all, hope all are well. My 2003 r1150rt last fall developed a fault warning on brake system. Back then with your help seems likely that it is either low fluid or voltage. Seems like fluid may be the issue. Its been a while since ive messed with the brakes and am wondering about topping off. Can i go to the power module and unscrew the caps and top off without introducing air into the system if i dont operate the brakes . Hopeing for a kwik trouble shoot before i get real involved. Thanks much

dirtrider
14 minutes ago, joeb said:

Hi all, hope all are well. My 2003 r1150rt last fall developed a fault warning on brake system. Back then with your help seems likely that it is either low fluid or voltage. Seems like fluid may be the issue. Its been a while since ive messed with the brakes and am wondering about topping off. Can i go to the power module and unscrew the caps and top off without introducing air into the system if i dont operate the brakes . Hopeing for a kwik trouble shoot before i get real involved. Thanks much

Afternoon Joeb

You can remove those ABS module fill caps without any air entry problems. 

Just don't over-fill them if you have worn brake pads or it will overflow the next time  that you remove the front wheel.  

dirtrider
14 minutes ago, joeb said:

Thanks much, always good to hear from you. Staying healthy, getting any riding in  .?

Afternoon Joeb

Sure am, lots of hours on my Zero-Turn & on my tractors, unfortunately not much riding on my motorcycles due to the stay-at-home  order. 

To recap : late last season on a ride thru twisties started to get a brake fail warning. Brakes worked fine but flashing warning lights never gives me the warm fuzzy feeling. . With some consult from you moto-,gurus, narrowed down to low fluid or a Voltage problem. Worried about it most winter , didnt really have much opportunity to work on it then. So......

Update : nice warmish sunny day. Got it out on driveway. Tupperware off, tank off, brake pump filler caps off, sure enough a little low on fluid. Sucked off old fluid ,Refilled, put back together ,test rode 100 miles. Perfect. Thanks to all for your input helping me to troubleshoot and needed practical advice .