IGNORED

Odd Tire Wear

aggieengineer

aggieengineer

This is the Dunlop Roadsmart III just removed from the front of my R1200RT. It went 5600 miles before I got tired of the noise and lack of predictability when leaned over. I suspect this peculiar wear pattern is related to the used of multiple tread compounds, but that's just a guess. Pressure was checked before every ride.

I've generally had good results with Dunlop, and replaced these with the Q3+.

New tires always feel so good.

P1040375.JPG.ecd5bdb75da5ac0c9bce1f8b355a293c.JPG

I have run a number of Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs, and this wear pattern is normal for this tire.  I have run these to mileages of 12,000 and 10, 200 miles with no problems. So, don't worry about this. Just watch for the tread to reach the wear bars, which is difficult to judge with uneven tread wear.

Your comment about tread noise is normal these days, as tire makers seem to design more for tread look and traction than noise reduction. I have also run Michelin Pilot Power 4 and am now running Continental Road Attack 3. All have fairly noisy tread pattern.

aggieengineer

I remember the Michelin Pilot Road 2 tire getting similarly noisy as it aged, but it didn't get squirrelly over the bumps as this one has. Tread patterns were much alike. While I like the idea of multi-compound tires, I've not been too pleased with the wear characteristics. The Continental tires with the hardness controlled by curing temperature have my interest. On the other hand, the Continental tires  on my wife's car have been so dreadfully noisy that I suspected wheel bearing failure. We'll see how the Qualifiers work out. I think the siping will be less likely to lend itself to scalloping.