IGNORED

Dumb "Changing the clutch" question - bike balance

avu3

I have a dumb question about changing my clutch (or, really, servicing the back half of the motorcycle).

I don't have a lift table or any fancy gear, just a cement patio.

Will the bike remain upright on the center stand by itself, or do I need to find some way to tie the front end down?

Thanks
Scott

szurszewski

Definitely strap the center stand to the front wheel - once you have the driveline removed it should be very forward-heavy, but obviously you will need to be sure not to push it backward. 

If you are leaving the rear subframe attached (is this an RT?) you will need some way to suspend/hold up all of that.

• Like 1

Yeah its an RT (99 1100), and yes I should have mentioned I'd thought to strap the stand forward.  I will need to pivot the subframe up and strap it forward as well. 

It seems like a real ungainly mess,  thats what gives me pause.

@avu3 : As others have suggested, use a tiedown strap around the front wheel and centerstand to avoid unexpected results. I replaced my clutch at 97,000 miles. It's not rocket science, and requires little in the way of special tools. Twenty-four hours in, I thought I had made a terrible mistake, but everything came out under budget and in less time (less than 3 weeks) than anticipated. Take photos at every step of the way. When I had everything back together, there was one electrical connector for which I could not find a mate. I posted a question here and DR (of course) replied that it had never been connected to anything. The bike is still running well approaching 131,000 miles.

The best decision I made was to strap the swingarm/transmission assembly to a wheeled dolly before removing it.That way, I was able to roll it back and — more importantly — to roll it forward for re-assembly by myself without any alignment issues. When I put it back together, I used a small bottle jack to nudge the transmission to the proper height, and it just slid on.

apart.thumb.JPG.9bfaecd2b17ec9010ca7e35d417137d8.JPG

While you have it apart, consider replacing the brake lines, and throttle and clutch cables (if you haven't already done so). The rubber wrapping for the OEM wiring harness is probably rotted after 20 years (mine was after 10 years). There are plenty of tutorials available for how to re-wrap a wiring harness.

Before:

harness-before.JPG.f22802f03c35b1e863e1a085b8390566.JPG

After:

-xvPdwq0LbnFnSbO_8C1QRQyKWOMX8c5XvgOIP6gyr2ZjaKtNRvvsffi6UKfR6QSRP1XWQ5w8t_MQbPsSSelYpqEQopqNn3NscXh2U_r9bc7PJhEUCGaA1PoED5a2MsCx_kOUhIiEjpDTGSlbvobZYrqjBSEGj8jI6O9e7rFrUhBAh1DsRSmgdPY1ttuCsRymjblD2YRPClOYya5XNwLfP51yvdGAWkv3HQTgLpLatWCIOnswxfgu1OgYozs5g_yBmotfctOZNoSOKnia2CJsO1z25ix-TnIBEdS6A8bOMfJ2p54JWFpRsouES5fxnlkwnE0yu2fRCXmKcbDh7PF8tqrVnNFF782oQCmvP5fozgT34TkMnjyoSz32XyRqtlYi1JK46hVsyYEOSrRRJfTqjX8upNsvkLz8x8QtH44gG0GIZkb1UTcMso24xj2jsoWCdcqB8Q0OPQY9-_mCBUVD8AqQSgHEMBeeH0q0FOsa5V7gv80oveBE6WF2T7JgqKM3tpXmnT2M4_ziZbu0qg1zoM2_XLe1GTN-AWGVV6bmEQZNDxxigB0pHHUVQ80lqYX-K2cArEZ58CUFaywPOygjxy8aPjE49uDY6sggcLywm58F0UrM1J3nUDwIXDE9K9gyG_YnNra5FoF1_VpQTqeIbkuxITW-ruEfJYJa-U6Cv71d614q6qzFYd2PBRh87k=w700-h489-no

• Like 3

"I will need to pivot the subframe up and strap it forward as well."

Avu3,

You could get a Harbor Freight engine hoist to pick up the subframe.  And get the dolly that Selden suggested while you're there.

Also good advice from Selden, "Take photos at every step of the way.", and "consider replacing the brake lines, and throttle and clutch cables.

It will stay upright but will be kinda tippy, side to side.  Any way to tie it off on both sides on your patio??

And while you aren't doing anything, clean those throttle boddies.