IGNORED

Can front wheel be taken off w/just front pit bull stand, or need rear too?

paRTy

Afternoon,

Getting ready to take both wheels off 14'rt. Ive used a scissor jack before, but wondering if it can be done with just a PitBull front stand only, plus on center stand?

Anybody done it this way?

thx,,

Bighopper

I wouldn't trust a Pitbull stand. I usually do the scissor jack behind at the back of gearbox, and have a slight backward lean. Never had issue with taking rear & front off, just no sharp moves getting the front off after getting the rear off.

If you are getting both wheels off to replace tyres away from your bike, otherwise I would only do 1 at a time for safety sake.

I always just do the center-stand and the front-stand for both wheels. I have an S1000XR though and it is a little front heavy so it never wants to fall back. I always take the rear off first on the center-stand only then lift the front and remove the front. The bike feels very stable like this.

If I lift the front on the center-stand with the rear wheel still on,  the center-stand does not touch the ground and I can't remove the rear wheel (also not very stable).  

I don't have a scissor jack and don't know if I can use one on my bike anyway.

Your RTs I believe have a real easy rear wheel removal from what I remember with a a side swing arm, something like removing a car tire I believe.  Gosh I envy you guys, removing and re-assembling the rear axle on my bike is a pain by yourself. I have to coordinate the rear brake bracket, spacers, chain and adjustment brackets on both sides all together since they all go together on one axle.  After lining them all up you have to lift the wheel and try to push a greasy axle through all these things and the adjustment brackets (and they say don't use a mallet).  As expected all things go out of alignment and the spacers fall off and the axle is super greasy and.....mother f*^#er:87: ...and you try again and again till finally it comes out the other side.:P

I believe your front wheel is just like mine but my front was not hard like the rear.

Corazon de Pollo

I once had a PitBull style front stand. It has long been turned into something else which tells you all you need to know about those things. ;)

Antimatter

Generally, no.  You need a rear stand to work with a front stand.  If you're centerstand isn't working, I'd suggest the old stick under the swingarm trick for getting the rear off.

BTW, I've used Pitbull stuff for years on my track bikes.  It's top quality and has the best re-sale because of that quality.  Added bonus:  did you know the company's owner helped design the ISS's cupola

I've done both wheels on my '16 RT that way (Pit Bull front stand and center stand).  It works just fine.  However, the Pit Bull is a little less stable than I would like it to be ... you sort of have to flip the pads around and support from behind the front axle or you're likely to lift the bike off of the center stand if the rear wheel is still on the bike.  You could always remove the rear wheel with the bike on the center stand and then support directly under the axle.  Either will work and I haven't had any issues swapping out tires this way. 

thanks for the replies.

Think I will just use center stand and scissor jack again. Seems to work fine and feels stable - just takes a little more time than a front stand.

I've taken both wheels of an 02R1150RT.  I would recommend tiring off the center-stand to the header to help prevent the array of clasping. 

12 hours ago, Dann said:

No Problem with my Hornig stand (Kern-Stabi) and the center stand

I can remove both wheels

Hornig Stand.jpg

Exactly how I do mine except my front stand may be taller and therefore I remove my rear first before using the front stand. Don't understand the not-stable or whatever.  I mean don't mount the bike like this or it may tip backwards but these bike are front heavy since motor, tank etc are front of the center stand.

As for scissor lifts, how do you use that without possible damage to exhaust or folded center stand?  Are there spacers or attachments you use with the lift to the frame only, like you do on your car?  I would buy one if it proves useful.

My 03 has had both wheels off at same time using center stand and something to block under front. Ive also had the bike fall off the center stand when it collapsed without a front wheel on it. Definetly tie off center stand so it cant flip up . It is no where as much fun as it sounds.

• Like 1

Actually decided to buy the Honig front lift stand today. 

Looks very stable and easy to use. Will try it out next week when delivered.

1 hour ago, paRTy said:

Actually decided to buy the Honig front lift stand today. 

Looks very stable and easy to use. Will try it out next week when delivered.

Top quality and adjustable.

Make sure to remove the rear wheel first and then lift the front. Otherwise the rear wheel will touch the ground when the front is up

Also very useful when you want to clean the front rim.

Now that I have a lift, I use a scissor jack and the center stand. The bike is tied up to the lift though. My lift is too narrow for the Hornig front lift. I had to make an adator plate to widen it to accomodate the center stand

YMMV

P_20190816_100702.jpg

On 5/6/2020 at 11:15 PM, Dann said:

Top quality and adjustable.

Make sure to remove the rear wheel first and then lift the front. Otherwise the rear wheel will touch the ground when the front is up

Thanks for the tip..

Bill_Walker
On 5/6/2020 at 8:15 PM, Dann said:

My lift is too narrow for the Hornig front lift. I had to make an adator plate to widen it to accomodate the center stand

Wow, that's a narrow lift!  On my Harbor Freight lift, I can even put the RT on the side stand if I want (though I'm nearly always using the center stand).

On 5/8/2020 at 7:08 PM, Bill_Walker said:

Wow, that's a narrow lift!  On my Harbor Freight lift, I can even put the RT on the side stand if I want (though I'm nearly always using the center stand).

I chose a narrow lift because I can easily fold it and put it away when not needed.

It also allows working closer to the bike

The ramp folds for storage and you can detach it when working on the rear wheel

I works manually or with a compressor and can support 1000lbs

The base support has the same width as a regular table lift. Very stable

Red Rock Motorcycle lift dimensions SKU 8708299.jpg

P_20180427_154814.jpg

P_20180710_123940 1.jpg

• Like 1

Received the Hornig front lifter yesterday. Put it together and took off wheels today.

What a pleasure - It's really nice.

Easier and faster than doing the scissor jack from my car. Should have done this 15 years ago for all the other bikes that could have enjoyed it.

20200512_170722.jpg

20200512_170819.jpg

20200512_171104.jpg

20200512_171117.jpg

• Like 1
BMW RT Pilot
On 5/5/2020 at 11:20 AM, paRTy said:

Afternoon,

Getting ready to take both wheels off 14'rt. Ive used a scissor jack before, but wondering if it can be done with just a PitBull front stand only, plus on center stand?

Anybody done it this way?

thx,,

I have a Pit Bull stand that is generic to any bike, where the lift points just go under the forks. I would say that it works, but you really need to be careful because the bike can easily slip off. Also, I would remove the handle because it really gets in the way and is the cause for the slippage. Anyhow, I use the center stand and the PB to remove both wheels. You will need to adjust the height to be taller so that you can remove the wheel/tire without removing the painted fender piece.

I do center stand and floor jack,......and sometimes jack stand.

I put the bike on the center stand, remove the rear wheel, then using a floor jack, pump up the front enough to remove the front wheel.  If it's gonna be awhile, I'll put the axle back in the front and drop it on a jack stand, if I'm just changing the tires, and putting it back together, I'll leave the floor jack under the engine.  I've been doing it this way for years.  I've also yet to strap the center stand,.....it's all stable enough.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

I do center stand and floor jack,......and sometimes jack stand.

I put the bike on the center stand, remove the rear wheel, then using a floor jack, pump up the front enough to remove the front wheel.  If it's gonna be awhile, I'll put the axle back in the front and drop it on a jack stand, if I'm just changing the tires, and putting it back together, I'll leave the floor jack under the engine.  I've been doing it this way for years.  I've also yet to strap the center stand,.....it's all stable enough.

I have been doing the same thing on both my HexHead and the WetHead RT's for years. No need for fancy stands.

I just use an old screw jack with a piece of plywood under the front of the engine. No worries about hydraulic pressure bleeding down.

• Like 1

Agree, no real need for a fancy stand, as I've been using the center stand and scissor jack for years. Works very well.....but since I've had to cancel about three events in my life during the Corona Virus, I decided to buy myself a present since staying at home. Got a great deal from SierraBMW, so jumped on it.

Have to say, lifting the front wheel now takes about 3 seconds with my new shiny stand, and I don't have to tear the trunk apart in my car to get scissor stand, set it up, crank it up, crank it down, get wood pieces together, reset forks after wheel install -crank  jack ,down, then up, then back to car and put away all neat. Sure it works great, and it's not that big of a deal, but the convienace has been a life changer - for me personally.

"First world problems" I believe they call this.

Whatever way works best for anyone's particular choice is the right way I suppose.

Appreciate all the great info and suggestions.

Stay safe and healthy everyone. It's crazy out there right now.

• Like 1