IGNORED

Old style R1100 throttle cables

Dr Klawn

Hi!

I'm looking for any tips, etc. for replacing said cable (pre-junction box). My current one has 25k on it and was thinking of changing it out when I do my fuel filter in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,

The old style is two cables, one from the grip to the left throttle body, the other from the left TB over to the right one.

If you are only replacing the grip to left side one, you don't even have to re-sync the bike when you're done!

Stan Walker

The old style is two cables, one from the grip to the left throttle body, the other from the left TB over to the right one.

If it's the same as an early ('96) RT then the above isn't true.......

On the RT it's a single cable with an exposed center section (two sections of outer sheath). It wraps around and attaches to the left side throttle body pulley then continues on to the right side. There is no way to replace just the left side or the right side.

If the R1100RS is different, ignore the above. smile.gif

Stan

Hhmmm. The online parts fiche shows the split cable #32737660230 "Accelerator Bowden Cable" for my bike (1996 R1100RS). It sounds like this would do the full wrap thing then.

On a side note, would it make sense to replace the "choke" and clutch cables at the same time?

Thanks again,

Since the choke is really just a fast idle lever, I would not be inclined to change it until it broke or showed significant wear. Of course you do leave yourself open to the possibility that both throttle and "choke" cables will break at the same time, but that's a chance I'd take. YMMV.

The clutch cable, on the other hand, is something I'd change on a regular basis. While it's possible to ride without it, it makes stopping much easier.

If it's the same as an early ('96) RT then the above isn't true.......

On the RT it's a single cable with an exposed center section (two sections of outer sheath). It wraps around and attaches to the left side throttle body pulley then continues on to the right side. There is no way to replace just the left side or the right side.

If the R1100RS is different, ignore the above. smile.gif

Stan

Yeah, when I actually looked, you're right. Not sure what bike I was thinking of.

Sorry for the confusion.

Archived