szurszewski

K1200LT trailing arm swap (and some other stuff)

szurszewski

I think a friend of mine was worried I didn't have enough to do and might go crazy now that WA has extended our safe at home order through the end of May (at least...). To "help out" he suggested it might be fun for me to do a little work on his sidecar rig. Yesterday I snuck out on the "project" R1100S, rode up to his pace and swapped the S for this beast:

IMG_0052.thumb.jpg.e4f8966847bc96910bb3d37e16728edc.jpg

It was a "little" wet out yesterday, and my silly pinlock decided to fill up with steam for whatever reason, but we eventually found our way to the garage. 

IMG_0058.thumb.jpg.577bf8863ba16e6a915e9cb76f4000db.jpg

There are maybe a few pics of it around here already - I had it in the garage about a year ago as well to do a little of this and that (mostly a 12k service). At the time we talked about possibly removing the trailing arm and replacing it with a modified/shortened arm...but decided it was more work than either of us wanted to do at the time. The bike already has a steering mod from Hannigan to reduce the steering effort...but it has some drawbacks. My geometry and understanding of motorcycle steering isn't quite up to eloquently explaining that here, but if anyone is curious I can provide links to words by people smarter than I. In fact, if this works, when it's all done I'm sure my friend will post a glorious thread on ADV all about it - he's into that sort of showy stuff (just look at is shiny, shiny rig!). I'm more into the gory details (just look at the very similar yet oh so different K rig I used to ride), so this thread is really just here because I thought you all might like to watch the carnage. Hell, I'd say there's a better than fair chance that I just end up destroying his bike ;)

Anyway - the original plan was to buy a salvage trailing arm, shorten it, and swap it in. He bought one on eBay, took it to his welder buddy and the buddy said, dude - I think that front hole should be round - yours is oval. Crap. My friend sent that one back and ordered another from eBay - from a 2004 K1200GT I believe. Got it, looked at it, thought - that doesn't look right - measured it, and found out it was already about 3/4" shorter...huh. After some measuring and internet research, it seems the K1200GT had a steering change mid model run, and the later ones had shorter trailing arms...and so now we're just going to see if we can swap it in and get the result he wants. If so, it will mean a $60 eBay part instead of a $60 eBay part + a bunch of money for the welder. 

Here's what's -hopefully- going in - IMG_0066.thumb.jpg.e188f887f7ad23ee0902341fa13fe9ac.jpg

but before I get to that, I have to play a little Tetris to make space to work.

IMG_0060.thumb.jpg.4fb016b5ab63660abee4ca9a23cd5467.jpg

• Like 1

RoanokeRider

Nice rig, just needs some stripes. :)

20190724_102830.jpg

• Like 1

szurszewski
50 minutes ago, RoanokeRider said:

Nice rig, just needs some stripes. :)

20190724_102830.jpg

I think this thread needs better pictures of those stripes...

RoanokeRider

You thinking more like this? :) These were designed, installed and designed by your buddy, Draper. He does nice work.

20190724_102807.jpg

20190706_070416.jpg

20190704_142601.jpg

szurszewski

Yep - more like that is just what I was thinking. I also suspected that was his work - he seems to have a thing for stripes :)

Probably be a few days before I get into this - maybe - but I’ll try to post pics along the way so we can all see how far I go before I get stuck. 

RoanokeRider

I'm curious. What problem are you trying solve moving the ball joint back? You added a trail reducer to move the wheel forward and now moving it back. Doesn't that defete the trail reduction? Just curious.

szurszewski

2 hours ago, RoanokeRider said:

I'm curious. What problem are you trying solve moving the ball joint back? You added a trail reducer to move the wheel forward and now moving it back. Doesn't that defete the trail reduction? Just curious.

Now, you're getting above my mental and mathematical pay grade - I am essentially a hired monkey here and just dancing to the music. But, I believe the idea is to get the benefit of the trail reduction while avoiding the height change in the front ... or something like that. Or it could just be that my buddy is bored and thinks this will be a fun thing to do to the bike. ;)

RoanokeRider

I have to set the record straight on the stripes. Draper did design and attach the stripes and he did a fine job. BUT, he hates the bright yellow that I picked. It took a LOT of discussion to get him to do it. He wanted to do either silver (shudder) or gray (shudder) stripes! Some people just don't have any imagination. :)

szurszewski

A quick pictorial update of the not much that's happened so far. 

The rig's owner stops by to check on progress...and drop off more parts

IMG_0174.thumb.jpg.410c832a5239c34bcf027929a85ce722.jpg

He's a movie star - do you know him? 

A lot of stuff has to be moved to get to the rear mount for the arm.

IMG_0157.thumb.jpg.c8f1c6b30b6f130a55484ad44cdf5fe3.jpg

That's what we've been looking for - make sure to leave enough room to get some heat on there as BMW says, heat the frame to at least 200F before trying to pull the bearing.

IMG_0156.thumb.jpg.951c9c9c005493bf0e4bfb48a06b2e1f.jpg

I usually prefer a torch, but I didn't want to cook the paint on someone else's bike (who'd ever know?) - heat guns are so slow, and there's no fire! ...but after a lot of sitting and holding the heat, the bearing actually came out quite easily - hopefully going back in will be similar...

IMG_0169.thumb.jpg.fe4e76eaaa57760845be06d6cd1c9448.jpg

pretty dirty in there, eh? the top of a k-bike engine sure is good place to store grit...(or oil if your crank vent hose/manifold comes apart)

The view from the front with the arm removed

IMG_0173.thumb.jpg.732e795030aa4d413892296c1854c4f8.jpg

...and then this is where I should have some pics of the two different trailing arms sitting side by side. But, since they turned out to be exactly the same, or at least very very very close to exactly the same, that's no fun. One is already at the welding shop to get shortened up - hopefully it won't be too long because this thing takes up a good bit of garage space and it's not moving until it's back together. 

Meanwhile, I've got a few other things to do to stay busy - swap the rear shock spring, reinforce the top box latch, upgrade the rear brake rotor...seems like there were more things - I'll have to go find my list....

• Thanks 1