IGNORED

I have a GSA problem

Jharpphoto

Jharpphoto

I have researched videos, articles, dealer websites, cycle trader and others to find a reason not to buy a GSA.  My RT works perfectly, is tons of fun, carry's what I need and essentially does all for me. Yet I can't stop looking at the GSA's.  It makes no sense to me practically to buy a $25K bike.  With the country in a state of emergency and uncertainty I have to ask my self "what are you thinking".  Not to mention financing a 25K bike would put a stretch on the budget.  But here I am teetering on the edge of going to the local BMW dealer to "look" at my ideal GSA today. Someone talk me off the ledge.  Not to mention my wife would flipping KILL me if I came home with a new bike.  Upside, payments would only be $125/mo more than my RT payment.

dirtrider
15 minutes ago, Jharpphoto said:

I have researched videos, articles, dealer websites, cycle trader and others to find a reason not to buy a GSA.  My RT works perfectly, is tons of fun, carry's what I need and essentially does all for me. Yet I can't stop looking at the GSA's.  It makes no sense to me practically to buy a $25K bike.  With the country in a state of emergency and uncertainty I have to ask my self "what are you thinking".  Not to mention financing a 25K bike would put a stretch on the budget.  But here I am teetering on the edge of going to the local BMW dealer to "look" at my ideal GSA today. Someone talk me off the ledge.  Not to mention my wife would flipping KILL me if I came home with a new bike.  Upside, payments would only be $125/mo more than my RT payment.

Morning  Jharpphoto

No way will I try to talk you out of a BMW GS-A, as they are a great motorcycle & allow more flexibility than the RT.  

If your wife rides pillion then she will probably be less happy than on the back of an RT, but rider wise, they are great.

I will give you one caution: You might want to budget in a little more than you have planned as a GS-A isn't "right" until you add the necessary accessories to make it yours (THIS- can get expensive)

Corazon de Pollo

My brother is a GS-A lover. He presently owns a 2019 Shifthead. In his opinion the best of the breed so far.

Now some general practical advice. Right now you are going to pay full price or very nearly so for many many models because dealerships have to work with very limited stocks and their volume incentives have gone up in smoke. BMW Motorrad is supposed to re-start manufacturing bikes next week but uncertainty reigns right now: even if that were true nobody knows when they'll start shipping bikes to the US again. So if you want a 2020 R1250GS-A right now be prepared to pay full price or very nearly so. But...

I don't know how the market for used bikes is in the US but here the wheels fell of the wagon, the wagon caught fire and crashed into a warehouse full of gasoline cans and fireworks. Dealerships started re-listing used bikes they have in stock this week (they should be allowed to re-open soon but nobody exactly knows when) and asking prices have gone down a lot: we are talking over 35% on average over pre-Covid-19 prices. Again: asking prices, and these are bikes sold by dealerships, so private sales may have even more substantial discounts. You may want to check 2019 models, if somebody is willing part from them.

Now my personal practical advice. I have been keeping an eye on a couple used models during this crisis and while asking prices have tanked I honestly doubt I'll be rushing to buy as soon as dealerships re-open.

My first concern is that we will be left with the Sword of Damocles of another lockdown if our politicians get scared again and hide under the bed after declaring "we have to learn to live with the virus and be careful, not fearful". Until I see some certainty I am spending the absolute bare minimum and saving on everything else.

My second concern is that prices will probably go down even more over the next months as more people just decide to build an emergency cash fund and sell what they can. And this is not counting the economic damages that have already been wrought.

In short sit tight in your trench, hold on to your Adrian helmet, keep a watchful eye and a deal will eventually find you. :classic_wink:

Jharpphoto

my dealer has 3 "demo" 2019 and 2020 discounted $3200.  That is what has set my desire ablaze.

Rinkydink

Jharpphoto

I have never ridden a GS. I would never tell you how to spend your (wife’s) $$. That said, time is fleeting and if you really need a GS, discuss it with your boss and get what you want if you can comfortably swing it $$ (and marriage 😳) wise. Good luck. 

dirtrider
52 minutes ago, Jharpphoto said:

my dealer has 3 "demo" 2019 and 2020 discounted $3200.  That is what has set my desire ablaze.

Evening Jharpphoto

If you do go ride one then do yourself a favor & leave your check book & credit card home.  That way you will have a little more time to think about it before you buy.  

Corazon de Pollo
10 hours ago, Jharpphoto said:

$3,200 for a 2019 demo bike here right now would be a very small discount, but perhaps in your State you can still ride around no problem so there's some demand for bikes.

If you want to do something useful ask the local dealership if there are still brand new in the crate GS-A at the BMW North America warehouse and if they know when deliveries from Germany will resume. That should help you decide if/when to buy.

Before I got my 09 RT, I test rode a late model GS (cant remember how late, but only a year or two old) with a low chassis and loved it.  The dealer was looking for around 14 for it, but it had no luggage but did have some nice lighting upgrades.  Rode like a dream and I did pretty well flat footing it.  I initially said yes and started plotting out how I was going to pay for it.  But the more I thought about it, the less comfortable I was with buying another expensive toy especially looking at retirement in about 2 years.  And we have personal property tax in this state so that meant a bill of 3-400 each year just for the privilege of owning it.  In the end, I passed on it and got the RT from a private seller for about half of what this bike was.  But I still wonder what it would have been like if I got the GS....

dirtrider

Morning  Jharpphoto

Just on the outside chance that you ride one then must own it, you might give some pre-thought to what BMW accessories that you might like or require.  

In a lot of cases the dealer won't budge much on price but for some reason they will give a nice discount on the BMW accessories bought with the motorcycle. 

Also, on most official  BMW accessories you get the full motorcycle length warranty on the accessory if bought with the motorcycle rather than the standard 2 year warranty if bought later as a stand-alone.  

Jharpphoto
5 hours ago, Corazon de Pollo said:

$3,200 for a 2019 demo bike here right now would be a very small discount, but perhaps in your State you can still ride around no problem so there's some demand for bikes.

If you want to do something useful ask the local dealership if there are still brand new in the crate GS-A at the BMW North America warehouse and if they know when deliveries from Germany will resume. That should help you decide if/when to buy.

And here I was thinking $3200 discount was significant.

szurszewski
1 hour ago, Jharpphoto said:

Any deal depends on a few things, and I think the most important is what YOU want from it. Do you want a bike that you feel you paid a good price for? If so, and if you think that's a good price, then you'll probably be happy. If you're the type of person who needs to feel like they got the BEST (<--lowest, is what this *usually* means) price, then it's much harder - there's always that worry that maybe your deal wasn't quite good enough. 

Two examples come to mind. My wife and I were shopping for a second car - partially to be "her" car and partially to have a second car that was sort of a "fun" car as well (my wife hadn't driven something four-wheeled regularly since...geez...2001!... until last year). We found one we both liked, it wasn't quite worth to us what they ask was, we picked a number we were willing to pay, offered little less and eventually got stuck $200 apart. The seller's lowest price was $500 more than I thought the car was worth, and $200 more than we'd planned to go up to...but we bought it anyway. Why? Because $200 or even $500, while not pocket change to us at all, over the life of the vehicle, are not really a big deal. Yesterday I picked up a used PS4 to pass some quarantine time, and because my 11 year old is doing an amazing job being very sadly to him back out of school. Narrowed it down to two very similar deals - one was a bit cheaper and closer, but that guy wasn't .... uh...overly charming. I opted to pay a bit more -  maybe even a bit more than real market value - and ride a bit further. Totally happy I did - and I'll be happy about it every time I use the system for years. 

For your theoretical GS-A, I'd ask how long you'll have it (assuming it's awesome, and you love it - and I think my 2012 is awesome, and I love it - I bet you'll feel the same) and what you can afford to spend. If you can find a deal in your budget that makes you feel good, and a seller you feel good about giving money to, I wouldn't sweat too much $1000 difference - divide it out over the time and miles you'll have the bike and it's likely not significant. 

Corazon de Pollo
4 hours ago, Jharpphoto said:

In normal times it was. But remember: we aren't in normal times anymore. Bike dealerships here have been shut down for two months now: some have been allowed to keep their service and spare parts departments open but with most people stuck at home and the rest of us allowed at most to ride to work or to buy groceries they haven't exactly moved huge amounts of cash.

Even in areas with mild lockdowns bike sales have been impacted: people start saving money or perhaps they aren't just in the mood to ride.

BMW started offering discounts on new bikes in 2009 around here: previously it was full price or buy something else. No need to tell why that happened. This time around it's dozens of time worse than 2009. :4317:

dirtrider
22 hours ago, Jharpphoto said:

Afternoon Jharpphoto

Be sure to ask about the warranty on those demo bikes, I'm not sure if things have changed but BMW used to start the warranty period when the bike was first put into service. If those bikes have been in demo service for a long time then you might only have a partial warranty remaining (at least ask the question)   

Jharpphoto

The demo bike I'm considering is a low suspension model. 90% of my riding in on road with the other 10% fire roads.  I know there is an additional 1" of clearance on the standard suspension model.  I've seen information speaking to the handling characteristics of the low suspension/ standard.  I don't feel too cramped on the low, although I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam.  Should I be concerned with the "fit"/handling characteristics of the low suspension?

dirtrider
2 hours ago, Jharpphoto said:

The demo bike I'm considering is a low suspension model. 90% of my riding in on road with the other 10% fire roads.  I know there is an additional 1" of clearance on the standard suspension model.  I've seen information speaking to the handling characteristics of the low suspension/ standard.  I don't feel too cramped on the low, although I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam.  Should I be concerned with the "fit"/handling characteristics of the low suspension?

Afternoon  Jharpphoto

Personally I don't like the low suspension for rough fast off-road use, it just gives up too much. But that being said I do ride with a couple of  (very experienced) off-roader's  that have low suspension GS bikes & they seem to do quite well on them.

I don't ride other's  low GS bikes very often on-road  but on the few times that I have ridden them fast & leaned way over  I do seem to drag things on the bottom of the bike more than I like but to be honest I never change another riders suspension settings so possibly that could be dialed out.  

I'm 6' with a 32" in-seam & have no problems  with the standard suspension GS being too high.  It can be right on the edge (height wise)  when riding technical with off cambers or edge drops off's that require a quick foot down as that additional inch or two to the ground is challenging.    But I haven't ever had the urge or felt the need  to go with a low suspension.

Jharpphoto
2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Crap! Now you have me thinking the low suspension is a compromise.

Afternoon  Jharpphoto

Personally I don't like the low suspension for rough fast off-road use, it just gives up too much. But that being said I do ride with a couple of  (very experienced) off-roader's  that have low suspension GS bikes & they seem to do quite well on them.

I don't ride other's  low GS bikes very often on-road  but on the few times that I have ridden them fast & leaned way over  I do seem to drag things on the bottom of the bike more than I like but to be honest I never change another riders suspension settings so possibly that could be dialed out.  

I'm 6' with a 32" in-seam & have no problems  with the standard suspension GS being too high.  It can be right on the edge (height wise)  when riding technical with off cambers or edge drops off's that require a quick foot down as that additional inch or two to the ground is challenging.    But I haven't ever had the urge or felt the need  to go with a low suspension.

Jharpphoto

There is a used 2018 GS adventure w/4K miles that is a standard suspension available for 20k w/ panniers. Still thinking I want the 2019 1250 low suspension for the engine upgrade. Thoughts?

dirtrider
31 minutes ago, Jharpphoto said:

Crap! Now you have me thinking the low suspension is a compromise.

Afternoon  Jharpphoto

Go ride a standard height then you can make an informed decision on if you can easily live with the height.

Jharpphoto

The bike I’m looking at is described as a 1250 GS adventure style HP low suspension.  I’m unclear on what the” HP” denotes on this model. Any ideas?

5 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  Jharpphoto

Yes, nearly every decent curve, I'm draggin.  I've not run it in the high position, but that may take care of a good bit of my boot scraping.

On 5/2/2020 at 10:32 AM, Jharpphoto said:

If'n you want a GSA, buy a GSA.  I was in the market for another bike as my primary RT was getting up in mileage (140k now), so, I headed to the dealer in Sept, looked at the RTs, but the GSA stood out as something I wanted, so I negotiated, and got it early October.  A low suspension (5'7/8" with 30" inseam) GSA and trailered it home, first ride was the next day on my way to work, the bike now has 9k on it.   It's a different ride than the RT and I think more comfortable/fitting than the RT.

Jharpphoto

I did IT! Picked up my 1st new bike today. 2019 GS adventure. Wooo hooo. Wasn’t able to grab the user manual today. What is the break in protocol for this engine?

• Like 2
Corazon de Pollo
On 5/6/2020 at 1:48 AM, Jharpphoto said:

I did IT! Picked up my 1st new bike today. 2019 GS adventure. Wooo hooo. Wasn’t able to grab the user manual today. What is the break in protocol for this engine?

The only two bikes I "broke in" were two Triumph's whose engines promptly disintegrated. :eek:

I confess I have never "run-in" or "broken-in" a bike or a car, or a chainsaw or anything and I have never had a problem.

On 5/5/2020 at 7:48 PM, Jharpphoto said:

I did IT! Picked up my 1st new bike today. 2019 GS adventure. Wooo hooo. 

We need pics, please! :grin: BTW, congrats! :thumbsup:

32 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

We need pics, please! :grin: BTW, congrats! :thumbsup:

Ya, pics or it didn't happen

• Like 1
Jharpphoto

BAM!  Had a great  ride yesterday.  Trying to spend some time getting used to the new bike, it's features and functions as well as the handling. Although it is very intuitive, I still need a greater familiarity on it before riding it too hard. I am shocked with how much power it has across the rpm range.  With the slightest flick of the throttle it instantly launches.  No delay or spool up of power it is there when you want it.   It was extremely windy yesterday as a weather system moved through and the temp dropped significantly.   I did notice  a great deal more "exposure" to wind than on the RT but the conditions were quite extreme yesterday so I'll hold judgment on the weather protection for now.  Couldn't be happier.  Picking up a top case and touratech tool box today to start the farkling.

burnt mtn Bmw.jpg

burnt mtn bmw 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Rinkydink

Congratulations, looks great. I love the wheels. 

The only break-in protocol I ever followed was to vary revs with lots of accel/deaccel and no constant rpms as in freeway riding. 

Enjoy

dirtrider
22 hours ago, Jharpphoto said:

I  have  had a GSA problem

Morning  Jharpphoto

Looks like your GSA problem is now gone, congratulations. 

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 6:38 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning  Jharpphoto

Looks like your GSA problem is now gone, congratulations. 

Oh no, he has a new set GSA problems now, FARKLES and and not enough time to ride! :5150:  

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, davidj said:

I am looking for a used BMW R1250GSA  if any body knows of a good bike.  Near Georgia ?

Hi David, it’s not a 1250 and it’s not near Georgia :dontknow: but a nice 1200 GSA here. There’s probably a couple out there but I’m thinking most owners are still in the honeymoon phase of ownership with the 1250s’

5 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Hi David, it’s not a 1250 and it’s not near Georgia :dontknow: but a nice 1200 GSA here. There’s probably a couple out there but I’m thinking most owners are still in the honeymoon phase of ownership with the 1250s’

I am looking for a used BMW R1250GSA  if any body knows of a good bike.  Near Georgia ?

Yes.  There has only been a couple from individuals in the past couple of months and they go quick.  

23 hours ago, davidj said:

The bike in this very post is/was for sale. Don't know if it sold but appears to be in your neighborhood.

• 3 weeks later...