IGNORED

Considering a low-mileage 700gs, but ...?

Ken S

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/d/wasilla-twin-bmws/7115649180.html

Somebody is selling 2 2015 700 GS bikes with very low mileage.  Wanting $8000 each.

Often low mileage is thought of as a good thing, but these bikes are at least 5 years old.  One has about 700 miles, and the other about 1600.  So, they're out of warranty but not really broken-in, right?  I personally would prefer to run a bike enough while there's warranty to know if any problems develop.

Any ideas on whether to consider one of these?  Price?  Any particular problems to look for in these bikes?

Thanks

Marty Hill

Ken, I've got one.  Been all over Europe with it.  No problems in 15k I've put on both 7GS's I've had.  You were next to it at sbucks.The one you saw in Atlanta. has 8.5k and I want 7.5K with BMW side bags.  It's in the for sale spot.

dirtrider
9 hours ago, Ken S said:

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/d/wasilla-twin-bmws/7115649180.html

Somebody is selling 2 2015 700 GS bikes with very low mileage.  Wanting $8000 each.

Often low mileage is thought of as a good thing, but these bikes are at least 5 years old.  One has about 700 miles, and the other about 1600.  So, they're out of warranty but not really broken-in, right?  I personally would prefer to run a bike enough while there's warranty to know if any problems develop.

Any ideas on whether to consider one of these?  Price?  Any particular problems to look for in these bikes?

Thanks

Morning Ken

A BIG (depends on) how & where they were stored, what was in the fuel tank, & for how long.

The (2015) 700 GS  should have the later updated stators & better flywheels so that expensive repair shouldn't plague you.

The main issues that I have seen on the 2015 era 700/800 BMW's is failed  handlebar switch assemblies. (easy to replace but not cheap).

The other one is failed fuel pumps--  This one might be of interest to you-- BMW didn't anodize the alloy fuel pumps on the 700/800 bikes. Not a big deal if the gasoline in the fuel tank is kept fresh, but could be an issue if the motorcycle was parked for longish storage with alcohol containing gasoline. 

Those bikes are very low mileage so could have long storage on the same old gasoline. If the bikes were  serviced every year & ridden enough each year to require new gasoline a couple of times then probably no issues. On the other hand if either bike sat a year or two with the same gasoline in it then that IS something to take notice of.

Open the fuel cap on both bikes then sniff at the opening, bad gasoline has a distinctive foul smell  that is hard to miss.

The other problem (well sort of a problem anyhow) is cracking on plastic fuel tanks along the upper outer seam. BMW put a number of new fuel tanks in those bikes under warranty due to the cracking issue (big job).  The tank is a double wall  so no real fuel leaks (at least that I know of)  but it sure isn't a good thing to have.

Lots of speculation on the why but the one that made sense to me was that it was due to the internal tank pressure & tank expansion due to hot return fuel building pressure (there is a pressure valve in the tank vent line that allows the tank internal pressure to build to a certain point before the tank vents into the evap can) --this internal pressure build forces the plastic tank to expand, then when it cools it shrinks. Doing this continually is the (possible reason for the cracking).

In  any case it made enough sense to me that I removed that pressure valve on my 800GS, so far I haven't had any tank cracking  so it seems to be the possible cause.

Some rear wheel bearing problems on earlier 700/800 bikes due to tight bearing bores but by 2015 that problem was pretty well gone.

I don't have a LOT of experience with the 700 GS as  they  are lower & have alloy wheels so most that I ride with off-road choose the 800 bikes due to the much stronger spoke wheels & more ground clearance.  

Look at the chains on those motorcycles, they show rust easily if the motorcycle wasn't cared for or stored in a good environment. Not a guarantee but if the chain is all rusty & looks to be not cared for that might reflect on how the rest of the motorcycle was cared for. 

If you belong to a BMW club, or riders club, you might take a 700/800 rider with you to look at those bikes as owning one usually gives good insight on what to look at & inspect. 

How those bikes were stored, & for how long of a time period, IS the important question. 

szurszewski

It seems the obvious answer, once it’s safe for him to be out amongst the public, is to just buy Marty’s and have him deliver it. :)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, dirtrider said:

How those bikes were stored, & for how long of a time period, IS the important question. 

Thanks DR.  I haven't seen the bikes yet, but owner says they were stored inside.  Don't know about fuel in the tank while in storage.  Any way to get an idea on possible damage from storage with fuel?

6 hours ago, szurszewski said:

just buy Marty’s and have him deliver it. :)

Sounds like a good idea.  Marty, ready for another ride to Alaska?  I think he Canadian border will be opening back up soon.

I did the drive from Anchorage to Atlanta in 7 days -- with a stopoff in Albuquerque.  You could take your time on the way up.

• Like 1
dirtrider
5 minutes ago, Ken S said:

Thanks DR.  I haven't seen the bikes yet, but owner says they were stored inside.  Don't know about fuel in the tank while in storage.  Any way to get an idea on possible damage from storage with fuel?

Evening Ken

Sniff test usually tells you something. If the inside of the filler neck & bottom of the filler cap is brownish looking & looks varnish coated that is usually a  dead giveaway that the gasoline had turned sour at one time. Problem is, the filler neck is plastic on that bike so that makes it more difficult to tell by color.  

Inside storage is good but if not climate controlled can still be an iffy deal due to door opening & condensation.  

If those bikes still have original batteries then you should also  figure in a new battery cost as they are DUE. Kind of an odd-ball battery size so not a lot of aftermarket batteries will fit but there are a few.