IGNORED

Fairing for R1100R

Geoff_J

Anyone know where I can find a small sport fairing for a 1996 R1100R? The bike has BMW's optional tachometer and clock, which flank the headlight on the left/right sides. I've seen a few aftermarket products, but it's not clear if they'll fit a bike with the tach and clock.

I also looked for my 1997 R850R which is identical to 1996 R1100R in external dimensions. I never found anything which made sense, so I settled on stock screen, Laiminar lip and GS handguards. The most critical factor for you in finding an aftermarket sport fairing is not the clock and tach pods, but the headlight. Roadsters (R1100R and R850R) manufactured before 1/1/97 have the "small" headlight. Many of the after market fairings are made to fit the post 1/1/97 "larger" headlight and have a larger headlight opening. I suppose that you could use something to fill up the larger opening or change out the headlight if you found the right fairing.

Have you investigated Wunderlich? Years ago there was a Japanese manufacturer which made a number of fiberglass parts to customize the Roadster.

My '96 R1100R has a BMW windshield. Last night I noticed the (optional) clock and tach are secured to mounting tabs on the windshield's upper mounting brackets. There is no alternative for relocating the clock and tech, so I can't change the current configuration.

Pretty sure the Parabellum pic is of large headlight, but best to check with them, of course. Aeroflow and Cee Bailey make distinction between small and large headlight versions of Roadsters. Many aftermarket units use stock brackets , so pod support is no issue. Moving them, if needed, doesn't seem to involve much. Hannigan Fairing used to make a unit, not sure if it would be called sport because of its size.

The tach and clock on the '96 R1100R are independent units that flank the (7-inch) headlight on both sides. I emailed Parabellum about my requirement. Their reply stated:

"We use the clock and tac mounts to mount our top mounts to. If you don't have the BMW shield then you have the correct ones and won't need to order them. If you have the BMW shield then you'll have to order the brackets that mount the clock and tac that don't also mount the shield."

Bob_Minor

Cool, I've seen a few R's with the Parabellum Scout and when color matched really makes the bike stand out. I'd go for it.

Archived