IGNORED

Nav VI Question

RTinNC

I do not use Basecamp but when I do build a route I do it using the Trip Planning App. on the Nav and for me it works like a champ.  The only question I have is once I build a route and save it is there a way for me to e-mail it ?   I know I can transfer it from GPS to GPS but was wondering if I could e-mail it say like a week before a ride?   

Thanks in advance! 

That should be possible as routes can be posted online and then down loaded as gpx file, etc.  You should search for the file on the PC then attach it in an email.  I  have not done this but it sounds plausible,

Good morning Ed.

Are you building the route on the Garmin GPS?

If that is the case, I think you will have to connect the GPS to your computer and import the route into BaseCamp.

Then you can export the route from BaseCamp and safe it on your hard drive, I normally just safe it to the desktop.

Open you email and attach it. It will be a .GPX file.

If you make it in BaseCamp, just export it and safe it to your computer and then attach it in your email.

16 hours ago, RTinNC said:

I do not use Basecamp but when I do build a route I do it using the Trip Planning App. on the Nav and for me it works like a champ.  The only question I have is once I build a route and save it is there a way for me to e-mail it ?   I know I can transfer it from GPS to GPS but was wondering if I could e-mail it say like a week before a ride?   

Thanks in advance! 

Morning RTinNC

You can sort of do it without the assistance of BaseCamp or MapSource but not easy & it is not  straight forward.

I don't have a nav VI so can't try to reproduce what you want to do but in most cases the route that want to send will be stored is a larger .GPX  file inside the Garmin folder, that's inside your GPS. (probably named current, or user, or, GPX, or ????) .

Without importing your GPS routes from your GPS into BaseCamp or MapSource you probably won't be able to isolate or even find an individual route to send, you will have to send the entire combined .GPX file. Then whoever you send it to would have to open it in BaseCamp or MapSource then pick out the route you want them to use then import it into their GPS unit.  

In any case installing BaseCamp on your computer (free to install & use) is probably a good plan,  then follow Bernie's suggestion above. 

At first-look BaseCamp looks very intimidating, but for simple things like route saving, or breaking out a single route from your GPS, it really isn't that complicated. 

MapSource is actually easier for most users to use & understand but is more difficult to install as without a previous MapSource install on your computer  you will either need to install from a  DVD, or install BaseCamp on your computer first then MapSource can be installed from about any source. There are work-arounds to get a standalone  MapSource installed but that is  not easy unless you are good at that sort of thing. (sorry no Mac version of MapSource).

If you have the  time & want to install BaseCamp, then do that. Once you have BaseCamp installed we can talk you through most simple things like saving, exporting, & sending your routes.

There is also an online .GPX reader called (GPSvisualizer)     https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/  that will allow you to view your GPS .GPX routes & tracks. I haven't ever used it so not sure if it has the ability to send those viewed routes to someone else.  

Google Chrome also has .GPX viewer of some sort but again I'm not sure if it allows breaking out individual routes to send to someone else.

• Like 1

Thanks, so if I understand correctly once I open the route or import the route into base camp it’ll automatically convert it to a GPX file I don’t have to rebuild the entire route in Basecamp correct? I’m not opposed to import it into base camp I just don’t want to have to build a route in Basecamp as it seems so much easier to do it on my GPS

1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

Thanks, so if I understand correctly once I open the route or import the route into base camp it’ll automatically convert it to a GPX file I don’t have to rebuild the entire route in Basecamp correct? I’m not opposed to import it into base camp I just don’t want to have to build a route in Basecamp as it seems so much easier to do it on my GPS

Morning  RTinNC

Actually it will automatically import into BaseCamp as a .GPX so no conversion necessary.  

You can then do anything that you like with that route, such as___

-View it

-Change it/modify it

-Add to it

-Combine it with another route

-Save it in a separate folder in BaseCamp

-Save it (export) to a separate folder on your computer outside of BaseCamp

-Once you save outside of BaseCamp you can then you can send it as a .GPX

-Change it attributes

-Reverse it into a reversed route

-Change it's name

-Add way-points or shaping-points

-Add POI's 

-Recalculate it to a different map set

-Transfer it to a different GPS device

-Turn it into a track

-probably lot's  more that I haven't mentioned

Personally, I seldom send routes to anyone unless I know for sure that the  person  I am sending the route to has the same map on their GPS that my route was made on.

If the maps don't match between your GPS & their GPS then the other person can have routing issues, they can recalculate the route to their current map set but that doesn't always mean the route will stay the same (depends on how close the maps are to each other such as--  any road changes, exit changes, new roads, closed roads, closed bridges, newly opened bridges, new round-abouts etc ). 

Personally, I usually send tracks,  as tracks are tracks, are always tracks so are not map dependent, that means  EVERYONE receives the very same track.

Or at least I send both a route & a track so they can verify that the sent route follows the track on their GPS using their mapset. If I send just a route then I also include the map version that it was made on. 

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  RTinNC

Actually it will automatically import into BaseCamp as a .GPX so no conversion necessary.  

You can then do anything that you like with that route, such as___

-View it

-Change it/modify it

-Add to it

-Combine it with another route

-Save it in a separate folder in BaseCamp

-Save it (export) to a separate folder on your computer outside of BaseCamp

-Once you save outside of BaseCamp you can then you can send it as a .GPX

-Change it attributes

-Reverse it into a reversed route

-Change it's name

-Add way-points or shaping-points

-Add POI's 

-Recalculate it to a different map set

-Transfer it to a different GPS device

-Turn it into a track

-probably lot's  more that I haven't mentioned

Personally, I seldom send routes to anyone unless I know for sure that the  person  I am sending the route to has the same map on their GPS that my route was made on.

If the maps don't match between your GPS & their GPS then the other person can have routing issues, they can recalculate the route to their current map set but that doesn't always mean the route will stay the same (depends on how close the maps are to each other such as--  any road changes, exit changes, new roads, closed roads, closed bridges, newly opened bridges, new round-abouts etc ). 

Personally, I usually send tracks,  as tracks are tracks, are always tracks so are not map dependent, that means  EVERYONE receives the very same track.

Or at least I send both a route & a track so they can verify that the sent route follows the track on their GPS using their mapset. If I send just a route then I also include the map version that it was made on. 

Thanks!   And I would only be sending an e-mail route to one or 2 of my riding buddies who would most likely have the same Nav 6 and the most current maps as myself.  But that would be very rare.   That being said it sounds like once I create the route on the GPS and put it in BaseCamp then it would be easy peezy to e-mail it. 

Regarding sending tracks?   Besides seeing the tracks on my GPS would I see them when my GPS was plugged into my computer?  And then send from that point?   Obviously I only every have my GPS plugged into my computer for updates or to save data is getting a new GPS so apologize doe my ignorance on what you can or can't do when it's plugged in. 

6 hours ago, RTinNC said:

That being said it sounds like once I create the route on the GPS and put it in BaseCamp then it would be easy peezy to e-mail it. 

Regarding sending tracks?   Besides seeing the tracks on my GPS would I see them when my GPS was plugged into my computer?  And then send from that point?   Obviously I only every have my GPS plugged into my computer for updates or to save data is getting a new GPS so apologize doe my ignorance on what you can or can't do when it's plugged in. 

Afternoon RTinNC

Yes, once you export the route to your desktop (or other off BaseCamp folder) then find it &  just drag the .GPX into your E-Mail, or find the .GPX route file then send it as any other file attachment.

You can see the tracks when the GPS is plugged in  (if you have any saved tracks on your GPS). 

You might have to click on the double shoe print (tracks) icon to change the L/H side routes listing area to the  tracks listing area. (bottom of the L/H information boxes.

If the (show waypoints) , (show routes) , (show tracks) is not visible on the very bottom of the L/H box then just click on the little blue funnel showing down there. 

If you have (unlisted data) showing that will show everything but  that is a mess to look through as all things show & some things will not have names that mean anything to you.  

I am sorry, I forgot that you are probably using a windows computer. The route is already a .gpx in the GPS. 
If you plug the USB cable into your Computer, the GPS becomes a external Drive. You can then open the folders on the GPS Drive (Garmin) and locate your route. Look in the folder GPX, I think. Then you can just click on the route and copy it into your email. Like DR described. This works especially good if you only  have One route on the GPS. 
Sorry if I duplicated some information. 

If you access the Nav with a usb cable the file is in the GPX subfolder.

The file is named Current.gpx and will contain all routes that you have created with the trip planner app and more. If you want to retrieve only the route, you will need to open that file and extract / edit the info you don't need. The file is actually an XML file.  Not a particularely easy task.

It would be much easier to use Basecamp to import from the Nav then select the route and export it to your desktop. Then just email it as an attached file.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Bernie said:

I am sorry, I forgot that you are probably using a windows computer. The route is already a .gpx in the GPS. 
If you plug the USB cable into your Computer, the GPS becomes a external Drive. You can then open the folders on the GPS Drive (Garmin) and locate your route. Look in the folder GPX, I think. Then you can just click on the route and copy it into your email. Like DR described. This works especially good if you only  have One route on the GPS. 
Sorry if I duplicated some information. 

Nope ....Been a Mac /Apple person for 8 years now and will not go back 

4 hours ago, PatM said:

If you access the Nav with a usb cable the file is in the GPX subfolder.

The file is named Current.gpx and will contain all routes that you have created with the trip planner app and more. If you want to retrieve only the route, you will need to open that file and extract / edit the info you don't need. The file is actually an XML file.  Not a particularely easy task.

It would be much easier to use Basecamp to import from the Nav then select the route and export it to your desktop. Then just email it as an attached file.

Prefect thanks!